• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Trophy still supports 3 phase AC charging 👍

AndyL61

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I notice that my Trophy does not have the pins needed for 3 phase AC charging , has this facility now been removed so that all cars can only accept single phase 7kw charging ?

Hmm. Does that mean they're now making the MG4 to actual UK specification? (The UK website doesn't specify any 11kW charging time).

Collected my Trophy today, can also confirm no pins for 3 phase charging. Car went into production 30th December but is a2023 model as the letter P is in the VIN number.

Look at the charge port on your car ... if you see metal pins in the L2 and L3 "holes" then your car will support 3-phase charging (up to 11kW); if not then it'll only support single phase charging up to 7kW.

Sorry I’m not clued up in what this means… what’s changed? I have an October 22 Trophy so interested to know.
The first batch of cars SE LR and Trophy had the onboard chargingport with the ability to charge the car at up to 11kW instead of 7kW using a suitable 3 phase connected to a 22kW public charger or if you had 3 phase electric system at home (rare in the UK but more common in Europe).SAIC have now changed the UK spec so that all current MG4 variants have the 7kW onboard charging as standard.

The first batch of cars SE LR and Trophy had the onboard chargingport with the ability to charge the car at up to 11kW instead of 7kW using a suitable 3 phase connected to a 22kW public charger or if you had 3 phase electric system at home (rare in the UK but more common in Europe).SAIC have now changed the UK spec so that all current MG4 variants have the 7kW onboard charging as standard.
No - they've now started to actually supply per the UK specification. ;)

It's so varied maybe the parts bins got confused, WonkoTheSaneUK got his last Monday and it has all the pins. It would help if build dates were supplied along with each yes I have L2 and L3...or no I don't to pin it down to them possibly reverting to initial published spec at some date. Maybe worth a poll?

Last edited:
OK, regarding the 11kW charging system or not. I raised this on the FB group and posted a picture of my Trophy charging port where L2 and L3 have black ”plastic” pins. I had a reply from someone saying that my port is in fact 11kW as the black pins are in fact shields, you will not see bare metal, which makes sense really from an electrical point of view! If it was a normal 7kW port then there would be no raised pins at all in the port. So, is anyone able to shed some light on this? Maybe some pics of the ports showing the pins SE standard, SE LR and trophy for early cars received October/November and later ones say January/February.

The pins in L2 and L3 should look exactly the same as those in L1?
Picture 1 of a first batch trophy port which has up to 11kW charging, the L1 and L2 pins are not bare metal but have plastic caps and the same as L1 as you say. So it would appear that the 11kW capability of my Trophy exists as it looks the same in the picture 2 taken yesterday. Nothing to do with exposed metal, the plastic shielding on top of the pins is there in case something goes wrong and someone touches the pin. a 7kW charge port would not have any raised pins in L2 and 3. Just my two penny worth.

Attachments

• 2A8F13F8-814F-4F1C-99BD-BD5D236B4044.jpeg
    2A8F13F8-814F-4F1C-99BD-BD5D236B4044.jpeg
    465.1 KB · Views: 198
  • A2249F6E-89F1-419F-B570-95EB42FB8A45.jpeg
    A2249F6E-89F1-419F-B570-95EB42FB8A45.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle