Turning right squealing

grayoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Anybody experienced a fairly loud squealing type noise when turning ?
I noticed it going around roundabout and when slow turning, but a colleague mentioned it this morning, that when I left the office car park yesterday, the noise was quite loud.

Would brake squeal not also happen under normal braking not just when turning? And slow turning you wouldn't necessarily use the brakes? Just asking :rolleyes:

Would brake squeal not also happen under normal braking not just when turning? And slow turning you wouldn't necessarily use the brakes? Just asking :rolleyes:
No - Not necessarily.
Although the pads have released from the disc when the handbrake / foot brake has been released, the running clearance between fiction pads and the steel brake disc is extremely small.
The squeal can be produced as a result of slight surface rust, that has formed on the face of the steel brake disc.
This type of squeal is more evident when the car has been sitting, say overnight and it has been damp / wet conditions due to the weather.
You release the brake and slowly drive from your parking space / driveway etc.
This is a likely time to hear may hear a high pitched squeal as the brake pads drag across the surface of the steel brake disc, producing the squeal.
It’s a similar situation when you are making a tight turn around a roundabout.
The extra load on the wheel can cause the pad to make very slight contact with the disc.
You may find that this problem self corrects itself after the brakes have been used a bit more often.
If it gets worse or it does not rectify itself after a bit more use of the brakes, then mention it to your dealer.
Oh ……. You could try reducing the strength of your Regen for a few days.
This will mean you will be using your footbrake more often, which will help clear any surface rust from the brake discs.

No - Not necessarily.
Although the pads have released from the disc when the handbrake / foot brake has been released, the running clearance between fiction pads and the steel brake disc is extremely small.
The squeal can be produced as a result of slight surface rust, that has formed on the face of the steel brake disc.
This type of squeal is more evident when the car has been sitting, say overnight and it has been damp / wet conditions due to the weather.
You release the brake and slowly drive from your parking space / driveway etc.
This is a likely time to hear may hear a high pitched squeal as the brake pads drag across the surface of the steel brake disc, producing the squeal.
It’s a similar situation when you are making a tight turn around a roundabout.
The extra load on the wheel can cause the pad to make very slight contact with the disc.
You may find that this problem self corrects itself after the brakes have been used a bit more often.
If it gets worse or it does not rectify itself after a bit more use of the brakes, then mention it to your dealer.
Oh ……. You could try reducing the strength of your Regen for a few days.
This will mean you will be using your footbrake more often, which will help clear any surface rust from the brake discs.
Nice one, I will take your advice, while since I've had a new car, but what you have said makes sense.
Thx again.

Never happened on my previous EV's so my brain can't stop rattling. Could this mean that the disc tolerance on the MG4 is tighter, taking into consideration that they knew that EV's have more regen use than disc use, hence any slight build up could cause excessive squealing? Again not disagreeing just better understanding?

Alan

Could this mean that the disc tolerance on the MG4 is tighter
I would think it's very unlikely TBH.
My first ZS EV Gen1 never had any brake squeal what so ever in two years and 20,000 miles of ownership.
Our ZS EV LR Gen 2 has omitted a brake squeal on a couple of occasions now in 6 months and covering 6,000 miles.
I am 99% sure it will be the same brake set up on both models.
Carrying out a brake service and lub ( which is lacking from new, from the factory ) would likely cure the problem, but I am not overly concerned that there is an other underlying conditions present.
Having carried out WAY too many brake services and disc and pads replacement over many years gone by, then I will not be loosing any sleep over it :sleep: .

Took my Trophy into the dealer with the screeching issue this afternoon.
Also, asked them to check the infamous oil leak issue and the undertray.

As Lovemyev suggested, it was a stone, that shifted the guard slightly and was fowling slightly, nothing major.

Oil was overfilled, tray was fine.

Took my Trophy into the dealer with the screeching issue this afternoon.
Also, asked them to check the infamous oil leak issue and the undertray.

As Lovemyev suggested, it was a stone, that shifted the guard slightly and was fowling slightly, nothing major.

Oil was overfilled, tray was fine.
Result !.
We like a quick fix 👍.

I am experiencing a similar issue - the loud squealing when braking at a low speed <10mph. It has started at about 4k mileage and have gotten worse at around 5k mileage. I guess it could be a rust or a chip/stone. The dealer should be able to advise. Got an appointment next month.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 541 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back