Tyre Pressure Settings & TPMS warnings

Saintsman

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
HI all,

First, thank you all for a great forum. its always good to have the drivers viewpoint as opposed to a dealer.

I have MG4 Trophy.
What does everyone have their tyre pressures set at?
Mine are at 37 psi as per the handbook since picking my car up on Nov 5, i have had multiple tyre pressure warnings, 24 so far, regarding the rear tyres losing pressure.

Pressure drop on screen shows 0.1 bar down comapred to front tyres.
Usually just the rear right tyre but now rear left also.

I reset the tyres to 37 psi, drive the vehicle and the warning clears and within 24 hours the warning appears again.
Spoke to my local MG service Manager and he has told me to put the pressures upto 40 psi and let them know if the warning reappears.

I have not done this yet but i will post the outcome once i have reset the tyre pressures

I increased the tyre pressures on my SE SR to 40 psi all round and found that the ride was if anything better - the slight float at the rear reduced significantly. There was a small amount of extra understeer but no appreciable oversteer.

I cannot see why increasing the pressures will make any difference to your issue. Are your actual pressures going down or is it the TPMS misreading as indicated on the screen or some other fault?

My front drivers side tyre pressure valve detection thing is faulty.... so mine since I picked it up comes up with the TPMS warning. MG ordered me a new valve thing and are fitting it next week so I wonder if you have any faulty ones?

I increased the tyre pressures on my SE SR to 40 psi all round and found that the ride was if anything better - the slight float at the rear reduced significantly. There was a small amount of extra understeer but no appreciable oversteer.

I cannot see why increasing the pressures will make any difference to your issue. Are your actual pressures going down or is it the TPMS misreading as indicated on the screen or some other fault?
Thanks for the reply.

That was my thought also, as the tyre pressure does not drop after this inital drop.
my gut feeling is that the valves have been calibrated incorrectly

Thanks for the reply.

That was my thought also, as the tyre pressure does not drop after this inital drop.
my gut feeling is that the valves have been calibrated incorrectly
Our Gen 2 ZS EV is about 7 months old now and I have received no TPMS warnings until last week !.
Out of the blue it triggered a fault with the N/S/F tyre.
We where close to home so no real stress !.
I pulled over and everything looked fine ?.
We parked up for a quick drink and the car was still in the READY mode.
Then one by one, it started reporting issues with every tyre on the car !.
When we returned home, I did a physical check on each tyre.
They all where a little down on the recommended 41 PSI but the N/S/F tyre was about 2lb lower that the remaining 3 tyres.
I re-inflated all of the tyres and rebooted up the car, straight away the TPMS warning lights ALL went out.
I have checked the tyre pressures three time since, with three different tyre pressures gauges and they are all reporting very close to each other at 41 PSI.
It’s been over a week now and I have not received any further TPMS warning lights.
Interesting to note, that the car does show a slight variation in the “bar” tyre pressures some times.
It very rarely reports identical pressures on every tyre 🛞.
I checked the pressures recorded by the car only yesterday and there was a slight difference, but I know the actual pressure are bang on !.
It will do this if one side of the car is facing the sun !.
This will display a higher read out due to the heat of course.
The TPMS system appears to trigger when there is a larger difference in a single tyre.
Try and ensure your pressures are all bang on identical is my advice and take a picture of each wheel 🛞 as proof.
But in our case, it triggered every tyre in a one by one cycle until it reported an issue with every single tyre !.
Which was not clearly the case.

So as i said tyre pressures adjusted to 40 psi on Friday.
Saturday eveything was ok, no warnings
Sunday i did not drive anywhere but no warnings thorugh the app.
Monday, drove less than a mile and rear left tyre pressure warning, pressure dropped 0.6 bar
i know it is cold this morning, all tyre pressures were down but no warnings from them.
Will be calling the dealer today.

I've had a tpms warning come up this morning even though all pressures are showing 2.5 bar
Can't see how to reset tho.will have a look through the manual while I'm sitting in the dealership.
Also having a software up date this morning and app playing up "sighs"

I've had a tpms warning come up this morning even though all pressures are showing 2.5 bar
Can't see how to reset tho.will have a look through the manual while I'm sitting in the dealership.
Also having a software up date this morning and app playing up "sighs"
There is no reset button for tyre pressures.

You have to pump up the tyres and drive the car to reset the TPMS monitors.

But if all the sensors are showing the correct pressure it won't need reseting so what do we do then?
2.5 bar is only 36 psi
I do not know how sensitive these TPMS are
Manual states 37 psi front and rear unless carrying load then 41 psi at the rear.
Delaer suggested i put pressure to 41 psi.

If it helps 2.6 bar = 37 psi, 2.8 bar is 41 psi approx

If nothing else helps a call to the dealer is required, waiting for my dealer to call me back.

2.5 bar = 36.2 psi
2.6 bar = 37.7 psi

So 2.55 bar is the desired setting, but the info screen only shows to 1 decimal place. (That might account for different tyres showing 2.5 vs 2.6 bar ... minor reading differences causing round up or down).

Get all that but if they're all showing 2.5 they're all low .but only one was showing an error! Lol
Might be one a bit lower but rounded up to 2.5. Sounds like the pressure alarm is too sensitive and MG need to adjust the tolerances a bit. In the meantime, if you inflate a bit higher (over these levels) may help.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back