Tyre repairs

One time it used to be difficult to undo wheel nuts at the roadside because they were done up so tight by wheel guns. Has this changed now?

Any reputable organisation will use a torque wrench although many will still find it difficult to loosen a correctly torqued bolt.

Any reputable organisation will use a torque wrench although many will still find it difficult to loosen a correctly torqued bolt.
Yes and then there's correctly using a torque wrench to steadily tighten until it clicks vs people bouncing them with their feet that I have seen at some fast service outlets.

sorry what? So I just took out AA breakdown cover unnecessarily?
Yes, your dealer or whoever you obtained the car from should have really explained that to you. You will hopefully find a credit card size card in your glovebox or around with 'Mg Assistance' on it and a phone number. If not contact your dealership, it provides you with MG AA Roadside Assistance cover

Last edited:
As the MG4 has full AA cover in the form of MG assist I'd ring them if it couldn't be driven

Yes, your dealer or whoever you obtained the car from should have really explained that to you. You will hopefully find credit card size card in your glovebox or around with 'AMg Assistance' on it and a phone number. If not contact your dealership, it provides you with MG AA Roadside Assistance cover
It's even better than you think
The AA cover renews for another year when you get the car serviced by an MG dealership.

Funnily enough I had a puncture just this Friday on my MG4. Unfortunately the damage to the tyre was too severe for the repair kit to mend it, but I've used a similar kit on my Hyundai to repair a smaller puncture and it worked a treat - it has it's limits though.

Thankfully the AA cover came good, they were there within the hour, popped a spare on so I could drive it to the nearest tyre place and the next day I was back on the road.

Yes, your dealer or whoever you obtained the car from should have really explained that to you. You will hopefully find a credit card size card in your glovebox or around with 'Mg Assistance' on it and a phone number. If not contact your dealership, it provides you with MG AA Roadside Assistance cover
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Ok...so as I have now taken out AA cover myself, I now have TWO AA covers.

Does this mean they arrive in half the time when you break down?

I have just discovered that my new MG4 has no spare tyre! This is more than a little worrying. Acc to the manual there is a 'repair kit' which doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Does anyone have any experience of actually dealing with a puncture? Does the tyre repair kit actually work?

😬
Just buy one of these tyre repair kit, and a plier to pull out the nail/screw in the tyre.

Attachments

• IMG_3284.png
    IMG_3284.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 80
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

It means they send out two mobile repair vans and they compete to see who gets to you first, then they argue with each other about what is wrong with your car before gladitorial combat using the tools available... the survivor will then help you.

If you ring the AA and explain the situation they might either give you a refund or suspend the cover you purchased until the MG Assist cover expires. My mother did that when she bought a Honda Jazz and they suspened her cover for several years until the manufacturer's cover expired.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Your MG AA cover only covers that car, your purchased AA membership covers you in any car, even as a passenger, so it's useful if you have a second car or you get lifts off other people and they break down.
According to Sod's law, having double cover almost guarantees you won't need to use it.
Since I've always carried a space saver spare, the repair kit that came with the cars I've had, another can of spray in the tyre gunk and one of those kits @kin mentioned above for many years, I've not had a puncture (touches wood). ;)

My MG4 had a puncture a few weeks into ownership. It was a Sunday, called the MG assistance, AA guy with me in less than an hour. He carried out a temporary repair using a plug and suggested taking it to the dealer on Monday morning. The dealership removed the wheel, inspected the inside of the tyre for damage, carried out a permanent repair, checked balance and refitted the wheel. Cost of that, £25.

Attachments

• 20230906_130812.jpg
    20230906_130812.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 56
My MG4 had a puncture a few weeks into ownership. It was a Sunday, called the MG assistance, AA guy with me in less than an hour. He carried out a temporary repair using a plug and suggested taking it to the dealer on Monday morning. The dealership removed the wheel, inspected the inside of the tyre for damage, carried out a permanent repair, checked balance and refitted the wheel. Cost of that, £25.
Nice to hear an example of good service. We tend to hear only the bad stories (understandably).

I've still got the RAC membership I've had for donkey's years. I'm not entirely confident that this AA thing is on the level.
Why shouldn't it be. Plenty of owners have called MG Assist out for flat batteries (12v), being locked in before the update etc. and they've turned up even when the car's been parked at the owner's home.
It only covers the car not the driver and only breakdowns in the UK.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 88 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back