Ultra Rapid Charging : max speed?

Tig170

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Off on holiday next week, and have finally decided to take the EV (eek!) - after a month of trouble free usage in the MG4

... so thought I'd give a DC rapid charger a try locally to make sure that everything was working (with my payment systems etc.). Everything perfect, but what I did notice was that i could only get 38Kw max charge speed out of it, albeit i only tried it for 5 mins.

The charger was supposed to run at 150Kw, and was the only one on the forecourt, whilst i know that the car is restricted to just over 100Kw, I was just wondering if anyone had yet connected up to a fast (ultra?) charger, and acheived a faster charging rate?

..... the other thing i noticed was the thickness / weight of the cable!! - I'm previously used to a diesel forecourt hose!

IMG_4342.jpeg

You have to understand it's a curve with a maximum. The maximum is only reached with a low State of Charge (SoC) and with a warm battery. Testing with a cold battery and high level of charge will greatly affect the maximum. Other posts have stated 140kw is achievable

You have to understand it's a curve with a maximum. The maximum is only reached with a low State of Charge (SoC) and with a warm battery. Testing with a cold battery and high level of charge will greatly affect the maximum. Other posts have stated 140kw is achievable
What was your initial state of charge for this?

.... it was already at 70%, and had just popped down the road, outside temp was around 10 deg. C

That may well be a factor then. I'd test it out at a low state of charge.
Don't worry about it too much! Once you get going I find having an enforced slightly longer break results in a more comfortable journey. As you approach 250 miles range your bladder is the limiting factor especially if you have kids in the car! It takes a little more planning but because of the lack of noise in the cabin and more relaxed 1 pedal driving in traffic I generally arrive at my destination more relaxed.

I've just found this thread : CCS charging - lets hope that we'll be able to get nearer to these speeds next week (although I'll be on holiday - so its no major issue - well it might be as I'll have to talk to my wife!! - whilst awating a top-up! )
Hi all, apologies for any English grammar mistake, as i am not a native speaker..
To add to your point on the linked thread, I just wanted to make you all aware of our current endeavors across French forums and here as well to gather data on the SE SR (a.k.a "Standard" in the EU) peak charging rate, advertised by MG at 117kW but no one so far has been able to attest of this peak rate, even at 15% SoC.
This could potentially be another issue along with the oil leak, but i don't want to sound negative from the get-go.
We'll keep gathering data and see what happens.
@Tig170 : if you'd have the time to try another 150 kW CCS charger with your MG4 SE SR at a 15% or even lower 10% SoC and report what is the max charge rate you got, i'd be obliged to you for doing so , it would help us tremendously.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I've not done lots of rapid charging but I've seen 135 (140 on the charge point) for sustained periods and the charge rate stayed decent into the 80s%.
..... perfect.... i'll find out next week, when i'm on a commercial charger (i.e. on holiday in wales!)- it should be all fine n dandy (maybe???)!

so over the past 10 days (whilst touring wales) I never managed to hook up to a 100KW+ charger - simply as never needed to, and just went to what ever my bonnet app noted - to be honest everything was perfect, and just worked, so I think im now going to sell my old car, as its an old heap compared to the MG4 (it was the 1st ever VW Tiguan 170bhp in the country built in June 2008) - but what I have found are these 2 blogs in recent weeks :-

... so it looks like that this time of year / current software, we could get 80-90KW max ?

ps 2000 miles in (through a load of mud at al.) & the back window is still clear!!! - so its true no rear wiper needed

I've not done lots of rapid charging but I've seen 135 (140 on the charge point) for sustained periods and the charge rate stayed decent into the 80s%.
I saw the same today on my Trophy at 3°C on a Tesla charge point.

Attachments

• IMG_20230310_184740.jpg
    IMG_20230310_184740.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 112
CCS works as promised. Even a low temperatures my MG4 SE LR was able to hit over 130KWh. I also saw 139 lately but just stopped taking pictures after I understood this part is working.

Attachments

• 20230218_172847.jpg
    20230218_172847.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230303_113949.jpg
    20230303_113949.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 55

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%