Unbelievable! [ Charging etiquette ]

I was sat on a charger, drinking my coffee having my sausage bap, when a gentleman turns up. Knocks on my window, as we know with MG switched of windows dont open. So I started to open my door he pushed it closed and shouted I want the charger. I replied yes when I have finished with it. At this he went and stood in front of my car covering the charger.
At 70yrs my confrontation days are over. But I felt unsafe, so I drank my coffee etc, unplugged with him standing behind me, and drove off. This incident has put me off public charging and a good reason why I brought the long range.
One does wonder how he thought that even if you were going to give into his demand, you would do so without opening your door...

It's unfortunate that we have a society that hasn't got the first idea what patience actually is, and that what THEY want doesn't matter a jot to anyone else. I fully expect it's only a matter of time before someone reports someone else for stealing their electricity from their home charger, and the defence will be "ah, but I needed it".

Us Brits do love a queue, sadly, this hasn't been taken into account when the placement/design of electric charging points were installed. At a petrol garage it's clear who is next in line for specific sided pump/fuel type. At a services car park a line of waiting EV's is far from clear-cut.

Better signage T&C’s are you sure. Mmmm.. will have to mull that over a bit. 🤔 As I am not sure this would get through to certain individuals. 🙄

Us Brits do love a queue, sadly, this hasn't been taken into account when the placement/design of electric charging points were installed. At a petrol garage it's clear who is next in line for specific sided pump/fuel type. At a services car park a line of waiting EV's is far from clear-cut.
I think this is literally down to real estate issues. I.e space needed versus space available. I believe the UK government should be negotiating with far more urgency with Tesla to allow access for other BEV owners. I also believe car manufacturers and motoring associations should also be pushing government as to charging infrastructure due to the fact the government want to ban petrol/diesel sales by 2030. I feel this could easily be pushed back if the infrastructure is not increased with great speed.

If you can't stop people parking their ICE cars in charging bays, I doubt extra signs about aggressive anti social behaviour will work. I don't know what the answer is, except maybe for a large, obvious, in-your-face security camera staring down at the charging bay.

Maybe a panic button in the charging apps? That once triggered switches said camera of location and informs the relevant police force? This would then allow the person feeling threatened to be safely in their car without the knowledge of the offender knowing they have alerted authorities.

If you can't stop people parking their ICE cars in charging bays, I doubt extra signs about aggressive anti social behaviour will work. I don't know what the answer is, except maybe for a large, obvious, in-your-face security camera staring down at the charging bay.
It should be legal that if any ice car is parked in a charging bay, your allowed to let their tyres down

Maybe what they should have is a bunker under the parking bay. So if an ICE parks up and the charger does not get used the vehicle is impounded I.e the offending vehicle is lowered into the bunker then another floor covers the bay to allow an EV to park and charge. A fine will then have to be paid to release the impounded vehicle. Job done 😁👍

I find it very sad that we have to think of measures to ensure others act responsibly and with consideration for others.
We should not need drastic measures and new laws to ensure people behave themselves.
Sadly this is a sad reflection on the society we now live in.

Perhaps we could get some of those stickers that say “ thanks Ahole for parking in a EV charging bay good luck getting this sticker off have a nice day”

I know that we, well most would like to do something on the spur of the moment like letting the tyres down. I guess this was said with tongue in cheek.
But then you would still not get on the charger.😂

Let’s have a rally at the Houses of Parliament chanting “we want more chargers”😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Better signage wouldn't go amiss, since people don't read whatever small print there may be on the machines or in T's and C's.

How do you find it charging? Do find yourself picking a location based on certain criteria?
Me personally I would never use a location late at night if avoidable, or one that's a single unit stuck in a corner as an afterthought. Unlike petrol stations there's no staff, often little by way of lighting and not even passers-by so at least you're not alone.
Unfortunately where we are (Tasmania), we don’t get to be too picky about where we choose to charge at present. Things should improve I hope.
Absolutely agree about chargers in the darkest corners of some towns/villages. It’s almost like they’re a bit ashamed of them?
And yes, I have HUGE concerns about their placement regarding safety, lighting, lack of passing traffic, potential for vandalism, etc etc.
Our local village has received a grant to put in a charger - great!
it’s plonked down the back of the local hall, in a remote car park, off the Main Street and away from any car or foot traffic…I would actually think it’s safer in the park near the public toilet block!!! I have yet to express my concerns to local council but it might be a good time - elections coming up:sneaky:
I shall keep you informed regarding my progress up the bureaucratic food chain…

Siting probably has more to do with the cost of accessing the required electrical supply than anything else.

My local rapid is at the rear of the leisure centre at the tradesman's entrance. Just so happens that there is an electrical sub station close by. Coincidence? It's not good enough. Said charger should have been sited in the main car park.

It should be legal that if any ice car is parked in a charging bay, your allowed to let their tyres down
So if you let their tyres down, the car will be immobilised in that charging space for a lot, lot longer! Rather defeats the intention to solely punish the ICE driver as you will punish EV drivers as well as the ICE would eventually drive off surely freeing the space for juice hungry EVs.

Shocking behavior in both cases. Almost makes me want to go back to ICE, its not range thats the issue, its lack of sufficient and reliable chargers. Motorways are so badly equipped to charge the number of EV's, and of course its getting worse by the day...........

So if you let their tyres down, the car will be immobilised in that charging space for a lot, lot longer! Rather defeats the intention to solely punish the ICE driver as you will punish EV drivers as well as the ICE would eventually drive off surely freeing the space for juice hungry EVs.
Called at Gregg's at Chesterfield Road Swallownest today. 4 Instavolt chargers, 3 vacant and one taken.....by a new 71 reg Fiat 500e just parked there and not plugged in. Came out of Gregg's and Fiat had been replaced by an ICE Merc. The Fiat driver ought to know better or needs to learn quickly! The Merc driver is just an inconsiderate idiot.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom