Unbelievable! [ Charging etiquette ]

I know it's frustrating but I think we ought to look at the other side of this equation too though - I suspect there are lots of EV owners who just plug in and push off for hours regardless of state of charge or whether anybody might be waiting for it which isn't great either and I guess can add to people's frustration to such an extent that they take matters into their own hands by stopping charges and trying to unplug (good luck doing that on the MG!).

I've seen it mentioned on this forum before (but not enough IMHO) but there is a great app that would help everyone to feel little more comfortable about this problem:

Is anyone actually using the “need to charge” idea - I’ve never seen any evidence of it - especially on the many Teslas and hybrids that seem to hog chargers.

It's a pretty simple concept, but only 10k downloads on the Android Store.
I'll be printing one off for my car at work, we have a limited number of charge points and I only need a few hours charge to cover my commute.

The other charging etiquette issue seems to be people using Rapids then leaving the car all day. There was an article I read last year of a guy in a Porsche that would plug it into the 150kw rapid at the station car park then go to work for 10-12 hours, could have easily used the 7kw fast charger instead, leaving the rapid for those topping off on their way through.

This is becoming a real problem, particularly when you are on longer trips. I drive into Cornwall from Bath regularly and both ways charging is an issue. I charge to 100% at home, I could stop after 53 miles and top up to 100% that would get me into Newquay. But I would be blocking a charger showing my charge and if you apply the move on at 80% rule I wouldn’t be able to start that charge. The next decent chargers are at Moto services Exeter on the M5, about 80 miles into my journey, I have tried 4 times to charge here in the past all had many waiting so I moved on and don’t bother stopping there any more. Next rapid charger is Jamaica inn, only two chargers and by then I am down under twenty %. So I could stop and charge getting enough to get me into Newquay. Sometimes there us a problem here and next stop is St Austell, Cornwall Services I have done this from home with just 7 % battery remaining, it is a very busy services and chargers are often not working at all or very slow. In Newquay there are no rapid chargers accessible to the public.
so return journey starts via Newquay airport where new rapid chargers can be used. And I then face the same dilemma in reverse on the way back. So I tend to put in as much as I can whenever I stop as more than one stop each way really does make it a long journey. More chargers please and soon.

I'll be printing one off for my car at work, we have a limited number of charge points and I only need a few hours charge to cover my commute.

The other charging etiquette issue seems to be people using Rapids then leaving the car all day. There was an article I read last year of a guy in a Porsche that would plug it into the 150kw rapid at the station car park then go to work for 10-12 hours, could have easily used the 7kw fast charger instead, leaving the rapid for those topping off on their way through.
My only description of him is ****....

This is becoming a real problem, particularly when you are on longer trips. I drive into Cornwall from Bath regularly and both ways charging is an issue. I charge to 100% at home, I could stop after 53 miles and top up to 100% that would get me into Newquay. But I would be blocking a charger showing my charge and if you apply the move on at 80% rule I wouldn’t be able to start that charge. The next decent chargers are at Moto services Exeter on the M5, about 80 miles into my journey, I have tried 4 times to charge here in the past all had many waiting so I moved on and don’t bother stopping there any more. Next rapid charger is Jamaica inn, only two chargers and by then I am down under twenty %. So I could stop and charge getting enough to get me into Newquay. Sometimes there us a problem here and next stop is St Austell, Cornwall Services I have done this from home with just 7 % battery remaining, it is a very busy services and chargers are often not working at all or very slow. In Newquay there are no rapid chargers accessible to the public.
so return journey starts via Newquay airport where new rapid chargers can be used. And I then face the same dilemma in reverse on the way back. So I tend to put in as much as I can whenever I stop as more than one stop each way really does make it a long journey. More chargers please and soon.
A new gridserve hub being built at Plymouth may solve your charging challenges

I guess it's 10k more than any other method at the moment and it's a good way of connecting people without having to share your phone number with random strangers in a car park.

Don't get me wrong, I do share my phone number with random strangers in car parks but I'm just a bit choosy over which deviants I want to share it with (us EV owners being just the wrong side of deviant for my liking!) 😀

I would sooner trust an app governed by GDPR than putting my number on show in a public place.

Sadly a lack of courtesy when it comes to refuelling and parking has always been a thing. I often grumble about people that block the Pay at Pump by going in and buying a frothy coffee and a weeks shopping, leave the pay at pump to those of us who just wish to fuel and go, especially during covid, if I can avoid mixing with people in the close confines of a store, I'll take that.

On a typical idyllic day out -

I plugged the five in for a boost

And sat in the sun by a tree

The vista before me was grand

Better still all the power was free

Bees toiled away on the heather

A Stag staring back from yon hill

As the car drank away at the amps

Of the sunshine I gathered my fill

The grass all around me was wilting

The stream beside me dried out

I may have dozed off a wee bit