Unconfirmed specs

AshOfIce

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I squeezed my dealer for information and here are some specs that has not been confirmed by MG officially yet:

• 500 kg towing capacity.
  • Luxury version will have heat pump... I guess Trophy as well then...?
  • It has 15 cm of ground clearance.

Anybody else got some information that MG hasn't released yet? 😁

@Miles Roberts CG has had the 500kg towing confirmed by MG Central

Just had a sobering thought. Has anyone confirmed that the MG4 has disc brakes on the rear? Could it be that they have used drum brakes for some budgetary reason? Someone please let us know, as soon as they find out. Drum brakes could be a deal breaker for me,

There is no heat pump for UK versions, if you use the app before setting off and then use battery heating during the journey, you won't need one in the UK!

I'm not really worried what brakes are on the rear, the traction motor will be doing all the work anyway!

There is no heat pump for UK versions, if you use the app before setting off and then use battery heating during the journey, you won't need one in the UK!

The devil will be in the details as usual. Will you be able to choose the source of the energy for the preheating like you can on the LEAF? If not will it use the battery or only work if still connected to the mains? The latter would be a problem for me with electricity costing 5x as much at peak times as off-peak.

I'm not really worried what brakes are on the rear, the traction motor will be doing all the work anyway!

Agreed. Drums are perfectly suited to an EV, give a more reliable handbrake, and as they are hidden behind the wheel trims no-one will know. 🙄

The devil will be in the details as usual. Will you be able to choose the source of the energy for the preheating like you can on the LEAF? If not will it use the battery or only work if still connected to the mains? The latter would be a problem for me with electricity costing 5x as much at peak times as off-peak.

Agreed. Drums are perfectly suited to an EV, give a more reliable handbrake, and as they are hidden behind the wheel trims no-one will know. 🙄
Having scoured the video of the MG4s, lined up at the dock at Shanghai, it does appear that they have discs on the rear.

As it can update the software, over the air, does anyone think that the Trophy will be capable of full self driving, once it becomes legal? (Or at least not requiring you to keep your hand on the wheel).

As it can update the software, over the air, does anyone think that the Trophy will be capable of full self driving, once it becomes legal? (Or at least not requiring you to keep your hand on the wheel).
Pretty sure Miles said on the podcast that "OTA updates" applies to the infotainment only? :unsure:

Almost certainly not as it doesn't have sufficient sensors, but of course it does depend on what level you mean by "full". Limited Level 3 is a possibility, but even then I doubt it'll happen - you'll be offered a nice shiny new one (at a premium) - look for example as to whether a battery update to "extended" is being suggested for cars bought now even though the car is supposedly able to have the battery swapped rather than charged.

Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this, please let me know where is better if not.

Does the iSmart with Live Services on the Trophy model of the MG4 and the Trophy Connect version of the ZS EV provide live status data on chargers (obviously those who share their API) such as Ionity, Instavolt, Gridserve etc?

Sorry if this has been answered already but do MG's automatically dip their nearside mirror when reverse is selected - guess Trophy models with 360 degree cameras don't necessarily need this?

Sorry if this has been answered already but do MG's automatically dip their nearside mirror when reverse is selected - guess Trophy models with 360 degree cameras don't necessarily need this?
The ZS EV Trophy ( face lift ) does not tilt the N/S door mirror when selecting reverse ( Like the VAG group cars tend to do ) and yes this where 360 degree camera's offers so much more.

@Gem10 mentioned something in another post. Trophy models supposedly have the daytime running LEDs integrated into the indicator light rather than above the headlight as on the SE. I cant see the Trophy spec running lights in any of the reviews, anyone else noticed this?

The ZS EV Trophy ( face lift ) does not tilt the N/S door mirror when selecting reverse ( Like the VAG group cars tend to do ) and yes this where 360 degree camera's offers so much more.
My dealer said the MG4 doesn't have tilt on the door mirrors, even on the Trophy.
I will however be double-checking this on my test drive.

It's a bit like the missing spec information on whether the MG4 has things like 'follow me home' lights, puddle lights, speed-locking doors, etc. He's fairly confident it will like other top-spec MG cars do. But they're missing from the spec sheet, so he doesn't know until he gets to see the car and get's his training from MG.

@Gem10 mentioned something in another post. Trophy models supposedly have the daytime running LEDs integrated into the indicator light rather than above the headlight as on the SE. I cant see the Trophy spec running lights in any of the reviews, anyone else noticed this?
This is how I understand the Trophy lights to be. The picture was taken near the end of the WhichEV review as they were driving a Trophy.
But you're absolutely right that none of the reviews to date seem to have shown this.

I'm unclear if this matches the spec details on the MG site where it states the Trophy has "LED Daytime Running Lights (integrated into front bumper indicator lights)"

mg4-trophy-dlr.png

My dealer said the MG4 doesn't have tilt on the door mirrors, even on the Trophy.
I will however be double-checking this on my test drive.

It's a bit like the missing spec information on whether the MG4 has things like 'follow me home' lights, puddle lights, speed-locking doors, etc. He's fairly confident it will like other top-spec MG cars do. But they're missing from the spec sheet, so he doesn't know until he gets to see the car and get's his training from MG.
Here are the screenshots of the Trophy's submenus regarding lighting and door locking/unlocking.

Screenshot_20220905-223957_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20220905-223931_YouTube.jpg

Not sure if it is same on the SE.

This is how I understand the Trophy lights to be. The picture was taken near the end of the WhichEV review as they were driving a Trophy.
But you're absolutely right that none of the reviews to date seem to have shown this.

I'm unclear if this matches the spec details on the MG site where it states the Trophy has "LED Daytime Running Lights (integrated into front bumper indicator lights)"

View attachment 10762

Makes sense apart from the fact that they are not on in any of the pictures of Orange cars driving in any of the road tests that I have seen, only the ones above the headlights which seems the same as the SE cars. I wonder where the front fogs are on the Trophy LR - could the vertical bar be those?

My dealer stated he believes the MG4 doesn't have front fog lights.
I asked the same as you - surely the vertical bar light within the bumper, if that is the indicator, could also house the fog lights. He didn't know.

But the way the spec is worded, it's more likely on Trophy that the vertical bar is the Trophy-specific DLR and indicator lights, and the 'eyebrow' lights in the main cluster are either dipped lights or perhaps also DLR.

I also asked whether the main headlights, given they're LED and on Trophy are "Projector LED Headlights with reflective technology", mean no need for front fog lights as the main beam provides better coverage. A bit like Matrix can. At this stage, I don't know if the MG4 has Matrix or just normal capabilities.

It's one more thing to find out when checking over the car, outside the actual test drive itself, but that list is starting to get quite long!

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the MG4 Trophy @Miles Roberts CG saw with DRLs in the main lights. The indicators are the verticals by the look of it and I imagine the spec written on the website is a question of translation from Chinese to English as the website went live before a car was actually seen.

Attachments

• IMG_20220725_181139.jpg
    IMG_20220725_181139.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 118

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 539 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member