USB cable keeps dropping connection - recommendations?

meveringham

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Trying to use Apple Carplay and the connection comes up (i.e. the icon goes white, not greyed out) for a second or two, then the connection drops before I can press the button. Disconnecting and reconnecting the cable has the same effect, car play becomes briefly available and then drops out again.

Is there a particular specification USB/lightning cable we need to use? Wondering if it's a cable quality issue....

Are you using a genuine Apple cable? We found that on Carplay the connection was only reliable with an Apple cable and the cheaper supermarket ones that we had didn't work well at all.

Have you tried cleaning the lightning port on your phone. A lot of debris can get in there and cause connection issues.

Trying to use Apple Carplay and the connection comes up (i.e. the icon goes white, not greyed out) for a second or two, then the connection drops before I can press the button. Disconnecting and reconnecting the cable has the same effect, car play becomes briefly available and then drops out again.

Is there a particular specification USB/lightning cable we need to use? Wondering if it's a cable quality issue....
Do you need the cable to charge as well? Or do you have the Trophy? I fitted one of these and works brilliant, hidden under the centre gear selector tray.CarLink4.0

In my current car I have to unlock the phone screen before AA will be recognised by the car. (It can be locked after once connected).

Tried it many times - never works with this phone/car. I think that might be a feature of later AA implementations where AA is embedded into the OS ... my phone is on Android 10 but was an update from Android 9 so still has the separate AA app.

Tried it many times - never works with this phone/car. I think that might be a feature of later AA implementations where AA is embedded into the OS ... my phone is on Android 10 but was an update from Android 9 so still has the separate AA app.
Setup smart locking, I have it setup to unlock my phone when it connects to the cars bluetooth

Yes same problem here (2 iPhone 12’s & 4 cables), very hit and miss with the data connection (connects for a second, then disconnects)- charges all the time though

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back