USB cable keeps dropping connection - recommendations?

It's definitely not this, I've tried 6 different cables now, all MFI and 2 genuine Apple ones!
The only way to be sure is to try a different phone. My AA connection on a previous car was getting more and more unreliable - I tried many different cables but it turned out to be 2 years of compacted dust in the phone's port. Got it out pretty easily with a needle and it's worked fine ever since, including on the MG4.

Mine worked since I got the car in February. Then I had a service in September and a software update, it hasn't worked since, the connection keeps dropping. The garage have had it in twice, the second time for a week and replaced the head unit and it still doesn't work ☹️

Mine worked since I got the car in February. Then I had a service in September and a software update, it hasn't worked since, the connection keeps dropping. The garage have had it in twice, the second time for a week and replaced the head unit and it still doesn't work ☹️
Think you are in the wrong forum MG4 wasn't available in February...

Think you are in the wrong forum MG4 wasn't available in February...
Apologies, MG5 but exactly the same problem across the models it would seem. Personally I think it's a software problem as why would it work perfectly until the very day they do a software update. I honestly don't think MG know how to resolve this issue.

Can anyone recommend an equivalent lead for Android?
I've heard people are having issues with certain brands. I have a couple of Ugreen leads which are fine between the phone (Pixel 7) and a pc/laptop, I wonder if they'll prove ok in he car (not picked it up yet) :unsure:

I have the phone end of the cable pushed up through the shelf mat and then looped over and tied so the connector lies flat on the mat. (Rest of cable is coiled and tied under the shelf and plugged into the USB A port). When I want to connect my phone I simply lie it on the mat and the cable essentially connects itself. 😎

I had a lot of issues with various usb a to c cables in my current car, I purchased this twin pack back in July and I have had no AA dropouts since.

1669751372225.png

A lot of problems but all it's in the cable, when I changed for a original iPhone cable no more problems in 2 weeks.

The cheaper made cables but not necessarily cheaper in price won't have the two way data capability as not all the pins will be connected.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back