USB Music

Hi All (@Purclewan in particular) - I did some testing today in my Trophy as I have a USB stick with music organised into folders either for Albums or Artists (I have some sub folders too with different albums by the same artist as well). When I first opened the USB Music player the infotainment showed me a list of all the songs it had found on the stick and started playing. On closer inspection I noticed that the list on the left where the songs were listed was titled "Play All" so I tried touching the screen where it said that - to my delight I found that it is then possible to get a folder view of the USB stick and you can select the folder you want to play from (even the sub-folders) and that you can then choose from just the music in that folder.

Hope this is helpful!
Has anyone got this to work on a SE SR?

My wife still uses CD’s in the car. I know better than to malign or judge her. Ever.
Mines the same wouldn't swop her car as the new one she looked at didn't have one🤣

Tried it today, could not get it to change😠 perhaps it's another Trophy only option🤔

Davn , It appears you can see folders after all. 👍
Tried it.... nope🤣

Do not think it remembers the folder view setting on our Trophy, which is a pain, service guy confirmed this is the default setting, plays flac files though!!, my AR Stelvio remembers the setting, if only AR made a Stelvio EV

Hi All (@Purclewan in particular) - I did some testing today in my Trophy as I have a USB stick with music organised into folders either for Albums or Artists (I have some sub folders too with different albums by the same artist as well). When I first opened the USB Music player the infotainment showed me a list of all the songs it had found on the stick and started playing. On closer inspection I noticed that the list on the left where the songs were listed was titled "Play All" so I tried touching the screen where it said that - to my delight I found that it is then possible to get a folder view of the USB stick and you can select the folder you want to play from (even the sub-folders) and that you can then choose from just the music in that folder.

Hope this is helpful!
Unfortunately, on my SE LR all I see is All Songs and nothing happens if I touch the screen where it says that. That makes my USB stick pretty much unusable, unless I rename all the songs into albums. Even then, I’d still have to scroll all the way down to get to something like ZZ Top. 😅 Looks like I’ll just stick with Bluetooth.
C437C962-CA54-40E2-8717-B3A988755FF3.jpeg

Do not think it remembers the folder view setting on our Trophy, which is a pain, service guy confirmed this is the default setting, plays flac files though!!, my AR Stelvio remembers the setting, if only AR made a Stelvio EV
Yeah you are right, I tried playing an album from a folder . When I came back to the car the same track that had been playing from the folder started again but the player had defaulted back to play all tracks from the entire stick. Nevermind I least I now know what it does.

Yeah you are right, I tried playing an album from a folder . When I came back to the car the same track that had been playing from the folder started again but the player had defaulted back to play all tracks from the entire stick. Nevermind I least I now know what it does.
Mine does the same. Seems to be a common fault with the software that it cannot retain the user's settings

Hope this is helpful!
Well, that was well-hidden until you know about it, then it's obvious. Many thanks. :giggle:

I just found this thread. Obviously the problem isn't there on the Trophy, but the SE software is brain-dead and simply presents you with every single track on the stick in alphabetical order.

I posted this work-round for the SE, specifically relating to exporting CDs to a USB stick using iTunes in such a way as to acquire/retain the embedded track titles, artists' names and so on. It's a bit of work to start with, but once you've done it, it's done, and you have your music where you want it. The same basic method (renaming the tracks) obviously works for any music in a format the MG4 4 will recognise.

I'm tempted to point out that it doesn't take any more time than the obsessive cleaning and polishing described by the guys in the detailing thread, but with this one big difference. You only have to do it once.

Does anyone know what is the maximum size USB you can use on the MG4 SE long range? I have a 128gb usb stick and i've put around 2500 songs on it. My MG recognises the songs when it first plugged and scanned but then only 1000 appear on the list and the other 1500 aren't playable for some reason? Anyone else had this problem? The songs are definitely in a readable format as only songs which start with the letters A-F appear, anything after F just vanishes.

Yes I had the same problem and had to cut down to a 64gb USB stick and then slowly added albums so as to not exceed 1000 files (songs). That seemed to work for me 👍. Although it still plays tracks at random unless I specify an album folder each startup... another startup item for the list of LKA (off), OPD (on) etc.... 🤷‍♂️

I think mine is 64GB and I have about 10000 tracks on it

The car can't handle folders on the usb drive so you can't separate the music by artist or albums

It takes a while to register all the tracking but then it's fine , however if the drive is removed it needs to rescan the tracks next time it's plugged in

If I remove all of the songs from the artist and album folders and just have all songs in the one folder, is this likely to solve the issue?

This worked for me but you'll only be able to use it on shuffle as it struggles to do any kind of search, but this could be how my tracks were labelled

1100R33 seems to solve the folders issue for USB music on the SE. I don't know if there is still a files count limit though as I don't use this method - I've only used a 4GB stick to do a test.

I renamed all my tracks to get everything to play in the right order.

1707226371584.png

However, what we all need, apparently, is the infotainment update R33 which fixes this. As I see @siteguru has just posted.

Does anyone know what is the maximum size USB you can use on the MG4 SE long range? I have a 128gb usb stick and i've put around 2500 songs on it. My MG recognises the songs when it first plugged and scanned but then only 1000 appear on the list and the other 1500 aren't playable for some reason? Anyone else had this problem? The songs are definitely in a readable format as only songs which start with the letters A-F appear, anything after F just vanishes.
I had the same problem with a USB-A sick in the left hand socket but I don't seem to get the same problem with a USB-C stick in the righthand socket. The software (R40) still jumbles up the tracks and you have to play about to get a specific album. Folders do work however but track numbers are not recognised.
The alternative is to use a music app with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

IThe alternative is to use a music app with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.
Yep, same here I've given up with the stick playing tracks alphabetically even when its from an album folder is no use. I wonder if its a side effect of streaming culture, people just stream a track rather than listen to an album.

I had the same problem with a USB-A sick in the left hand socket but I don't seem to get the same problem with a USB-C stick in the righthand socket. The software (R40) still jumbles up the tracks and you have to play about to get a specific album. Folders do work however but track numbers are not recognised.
The alternative is to use a music app with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.
It's the same in the SE with 1100R33 software ... tracks are played alphabetically by name (in the Track Name field) rather than by track number.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back