Usb port charging wattages?

tom3429

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi, I put a deposit on a model and learning around.
I manage to find that the usb ports support 5v, but can't find how much A or W it's supporting.
E.g. 5v 5a = 25w
5v 2a = 10w(which would be quite slow)

I also wonder if the two usb ports at front and the cigarrete lighter share their power.

25W would still charge a phone with a small battery pretty quickly, but it would be considered pretty slow for charging a laptop.

It's pretty rare for a USB port at 5v to output any more than 3A.

However USB C using something called 'PD' can allow for higher power, EG 20v at 5A, so it could do 100W in theory.

There is wireless charging also on the Trophy model.

It depends on what you want to charge really.

I've charged phone, Kindle, CO2 meter from both the front and rear USB A ports, and they seemed to charge quickly enough.

It's quite annoying to me to realise that my old Golf did have this capability, in a single port, but I didn't realise it was there. It shared an output/input with the iPod player, having a strange connector I'd never seen before that was supplied with two interchangeable leads, one with the iPod connector and the other with a USB A socket. I used the iPod connector when I got the car, and didn't quite twig that if I unplugged it and plugged in the USB lead, I could have charged my phone. After some years the iPod became corrupted and wouldn't play. Muggins just started carrying CDs in the car and using the integral CD player. Didn't even pull out the iPod, which I discovered when I gave up the car could be restored by the computer and the music files reloaded. So there I was, no iPod and no USB socket, all because I didn't open up the arm-rest and take a good look at what was inside it. (In 2009 when I got the car I didn't have an armful of USB-charging devices, like I have now, so I didn't spot the potential. I thought what was in the arm-rest was just a music player.)

I believe they power down after a period of time (10 mins?)

I've tried on numerous occasions, the last a couple of hours ago, to get my USB stick out of the car without generating the corruption message on the PC, and the PC needing to repair it. Even after the car has been sitting idle for nearly 48 hours, going in and grabbing the stick still gets the error, which is caused by the stick being removed while it is communicating with the car. I appreciate thisdoesn't prove the USB port wasn't powered down, but by golly it's powering up again damn fast if it was.

The manual just tells the driver not to pull the stick out while it is communicating with the car, but with a USB C stick there is no way to tell, and there seems to be no time when one can pull it out and not get the error message. (It's no big deal, even if the stick became completely corrupted, all I'd do is copy the music from the computer on to a fresh stick.)

I think they power down straight away. I know my dash cam generates its ‘parking mode’ message when the car is locked / powered down, and it only does this when the USB power is cut

Well, my theory seems to be rubbish, so I'll go sit in the corner. I wonder if I'm leaning on the seat when I reach for the stick and starting a power-up? Maybe I should go in from the passenger side and see what happens.

Okay, so this morning I have tested this through. I used a wireless phone charging dock, which when my phone is dropped onto it displays a green LED if the phone is charging. The phone switches to a clock on the display.

If you just unlock the car, plug in the setup (without sitting in the seat to wake the car). Lock the car, one minute later the USB ports power down

If you sit the car and fully wake the car, plug in the setup, then exit and lock the car, the USB ports take three minutes to power down.

This is what I have measured on my car, Phase 1 Trophy.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back