USB/Wireless charging

Works perfectly for me. Obviously only provides power, no connection to the infotainment system, but that’s the way MG designed it to work.
The USB C port works fine on my car (Thai model X, equivalentish to Trophy) and shows up as USB2 if I use it as the music source. It must charge a little but I only use the 12v lighter socket for that now - the other options were too slow or inconvenient.

While we're on the subject of the USB ports, I hear that the designer who signed off on their position was a Yoga Black Belt and could apparently see in the dark. I've fitted one of those neat rechargeable LED lights under the console and will be joining my wife's Yoga group shortly, so that's another problem solved....

Our wireless charger is rediculously fast. Causes the phone to get hot and go into overtemp protection and stop charging. We're putting a piece of carpet over it.

I'm just going to put a 30w usb solar panel on the dash.

Hi mg4mc,

I think the issue could be down to the USB-C cable. I have a Google Pixel-5 and even the official USB-C to C would not charge the phone from port #2.

My results:

Port #1 - USB-A is used for Android Auto/Car Play and I observed between 983-1028 mA using the same app. I tried three different cables. One proved 50/50 for Android Auto but all three delivered charge with the car on or off.

Port #2 - USB-C can only be used for power or possibly data transfer which I didn't test. Only one out of the three cables I tried would charge the phone and they all work in other 13amp chargers. Interestingly Ampere detected the port and the text "Disconnected" changed to blue but only one of the three cables made it change to "Charging". The successful cable is a display-certified USB-C so may have more wires as it's much thicker than my others. The lack of AA/CP is also mentioned in the car's onboard manual. With the thick cable, I was able to draw the same 961 mA.

Port #3 - USB-A Rear only works when the car is switched on. 1073 mA

HTH

Duncan

Does the Disconnected text change from orange to blue with any of the cables? See difference between images #2 and #3 below.

Three images are below.
1: USB-C-Fat-PO - My AV rated USB-C cable connected to port 2
2: USB-C-PO - Stock Pixel USB-C connected to port 2
3: Not Connected - USB-C cable in phone only

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230427-193815.png
    Screenshot_20230427-193815.png
    225.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_20230427-193456.png
    Screenshot_20230427-193456.png
    382.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20230427-193309.png