USB socket by the rear view mirror- suitable for dashcam?

fatboyfat1981

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Per the title- I’ve got a vague recollection that this has been discussed before but can’t seem to locate the original thread.

I would guess that would be why one was placed there (presumably switched by the “ignition”?)- if so I can reuse the one from my current chariot & just buy a diddy USB lead.

Ta in advance.

I presume you mean rear mirror? If so, others have tried that USB port:

As per the user manual: "There is also one USB port located in the rear view mirror mounting trim cover, this provides a 5V power source."

Does the MG4 trophy have this facility, picking one up in Jan, would be great if it did, but I am not expecting it to.

what route did you put wires through was it adjacent to roof liner then into boot area, my rear camera is plugged into USB in rear then under carpet into boot area

million dollar question - what camera to get?

My Nextbase plugs into that rear view socket and works perfectly!

As to which make to get, well Nextbase are good as are Blackvue.
For ease of installation the Nextbase is best as it needs a 5v supply via an USB source. The Blackvue needs 12v so not so Plug'n'play for the MG ZS EV.
Both give excellent results in all light levels. Both makes have WiFi versions to get the files to your phone. WiFi NOT Internet by the way!
Blackvue do a 4G version that uses 4G to stream your videos, at a cost of course!

IMG_20221109_213945186.jpg

Works fine with Nextbase 222

million dollar question - what camera to get?
Works fine on my Nexbase 522. As to what camera, go for one that has internal battery backup. Any movement of the car will switch it on. When i removed the dash cam equipment from my previous Mk7 Golf and fitted to the ZS EV the USB socket was so much easier than connecting to Fuse box... On the point about battery back up, i inserted the SD card into my PC to check out the quality of playback and was shocked and surprised to find that i was watching my previous car being serviced. It had its annual service a couple of days before i removed the Dashcam from the vehicle. In short, it pays to check the SD card regularly as you never know what's on it.

Per the title- I’ve got a vague recollection that this has been discussed before but can’t seem to locate the original thread.

I would guess that would be why one was placed there (presumably switched by the “ignition”?)- if so I can reuse the one from my current chariot & just buy a diddy USB lead.

Ta in advance.
I have used it for mine and its perfect. No problems so far.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom