• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Use of KERS (regenerative braking) on the MG ZS EV

Hi yes I believe that will be a 70 plate, thanks for the advice on regen 3, I do try and anticipate traffic stopping/slowing etc so regen 3 might teach me to be even more efficient.

I like the way the regen works on level 2 it's a smoother speed reduction and I can still feather the throttle if needed. I honestly don't think it will put many miles on to your range but it certainly will save on brake pad wear. I'm getting really used to one pedal driving. Love it??

I love the regen, always on 3 so far. I would love to be able to see some stats in the car on the effect regen has had on the journey though :geek: it would be great if the journey stats said something like 3 miles added regen or something, or even the power accumulated by regen.

I've played with the regen level on my EV over the years. At first I used to run with it on max level (3) and use it instead of braking. But with this, if you lift off the accelerator momentarily for any reason, you lose momentum, which is less efficient (if you didn't need to decelerate and particularly on the motorway) and I find that a bit annoying.
Something to note is that regenerating energy is never as efficient as not using it in the first place.
So now I tend to drive with zero regen and tap the brakes when I need to, which regenerates the power in the same way as having the regen on a higher setting.
The only comment I have to make about that is that it's probably a little less safe than having regen on a higher setting as you're more likely to coast into an accident at higher speed.

Is it just me, but does anyone else get a very short (approx 1 second) noise like a mechanical brrrrr, when slowing down?

Not every time, not that often actually, but jus this very short, weird brrrring noise. I can only assume that because I've noticed it when slowing down, I'm attributing it to KERS - but my technological knowledge is poor, as I've readily demonstrated on previous threads!!

My Guess is it is some sort of vacuum pump, topping up the brake servo system.? I get it as well.

Yes, I get it as well and not always just sometimes and mentioned it to my dealer who wasn't that interested, aren't they wonderful, you would think they would be more appreciative that you have spent thousands on buying a car from them. I am glad to hear that others are getting it, so it is unlikely that it is a fault but I would like to know what it is???

Note that I could be mistaken but I can almost feel it as well when it happens just under the pedal area!!!

Regards

Frank

On a normal ICE car, you always have a source of vacuum ...from the inlet manifold.....not so on an EV.

Having had hybrids for the last ten years, I've become desensitised to all the weird and wonderful noises they and now my EV make. What makes these noises seem worse to some, especially if you came from an ICE car, is that the quietness of the car allows you to hear what you wouldn't have normally heard over an ICE car engine. There are also some relays, motors, pumps and such that ICE cars don't have. The HV battery has connect disconnect relays, brake servo vacuum and ABS pumps, electronic A/C pumps, etc. I just let the car get on with it's communications and drive it, if it concerns you, turn up the stereo. ;)

@Kithmo
I totally agree about the noise levels. The car really is soooo quiet!!
I used to love driving with a sunroof open, but now I think that the outside noise is so loud in comparison, I tend to keep it closed. Then I have to put my AirCon on, and my range anxiety starts all over again!! :eek:

I normally drive with KERS at 3 as I love one pedal driving and hardly touch the brakes. It's not the most efficient option though, at least in some driving styles, as I've found out over the last few days. I've been trialing driving with minimum KERS 1, whilst anticipating and coasting more, and my miles per kWh has increased significantly!

I'll try that on my next trip to Norfolk in a weeks time..(y)

Last edited:
Hi All,

I asked my dealer about this noise that occasionally happens whilst braking and coming to a stop. Go into the MG WEB PAGE being up the page for the MG AS EV where it has the specifications tab, look under the FAQ tab on that page and it confirms there is a pump to keep the brake servo replenished, hence the noise.

Regards

Frank

I heard my car from the outside for the first time today when the Mrs drove it away. I absolutely love all the electrical buzzes and whines it makes :geek:

Hi Folks,
Been also looking at this issue keenly to see the effect on Miles/kWh.
I could not make out if any EV makes have a regen zero setting and found it difficult to assess no Regen to max regen verse Miles/kWh. The effect of temperature on Miles/kWh is so great that it becomes impossible to do any meaningful corrective calculations after a relatively short drive.
In general it seems the ZS EV Regen 1 is described as minimal and seems best for motorway when there is absolutely no congestion. Regen 2 probably best all round
Still I use regen 3 driving in town. Makes me feel safer.
Apparently official WLTP testing is done in N mode regen1 with target m/kWh at 4.8 for the city circle. So I guess the issue is our individual driving styles comes in to play a lot. More than we think. Never achieved above 4.2 no mater how careful I drive and combination of regen eco I use.
As you will have noted there are members with excellent stats who do above 4m/kWH regularly and some who enjoy just driving the ZS EV and do not bother much about cost.
I am somewhere in between. Most of the time I am doing the free charging challenge so I do not worry too much about electricity cost and driving efficiency but it is always good to be as efficient as possible.

I only do short, town, journeys of around 3-4 miles, but with KERS left on 3, when I've done say an 8 mile round trip, I regularly see only 6 miles gone off the GOM, so I would guess my style of driving gets me around 25% regeneration, miles wise.

I thought I should post this for info. Recently I went on hilly country roads in Eco regen 2 mainly trying to maintain approx 50mph. I was amazed by my m/kwh reading of 6.6 when I got home. I actually reached 6.8 at one point. 20200731_155436.jpg

Just a thought about using KERS 3 and single pedal driving..........the braking effect is good enough to slow down to almost a stop, but should your right foot remain over the accelerator ready to get moving quickly or over the brake pedal for an emergency stop? Without KERS you would normally be slowing down with your foot already on the brake!

Personally I would be over the accelerator ready to feather it as I don't think I would be accurate enough to judge where I would stop without some tweaks.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom