Using Tesla Superchargers with my ZS EV

I tried to charge my ZS at a Tesla Supercharger today. It was unsuccessful as the app could not detect my car. I have previously had a successful charge at this location. I went into the Tesla garage and asked if they were aware of any issues with the charger. They said that the ZS was on their recently updated 'blacklist'. They said this is something they are looking into but it was because MG didn't currently meet some form of communication criteria. Very frustrating. I charged successfully at a nearby Gridserve.

Just been for a week in the north east staying in Seahouses.
Noted that a Tesla Supercharger hub open to non Tesla’s is on the A1 at Adderstone. Whilst not desperate for a charge, with enough charge left to get to well south of Alnwick, I decided to see if these chargers worked on my MG ZS SR.
Turned up to find 6 empty units so pulled into the first empty unit, plugged in and charged with no problems. Whilst there 2 Teslas arrived followed by an MG5. Obviously the Teslas had no problems but the driver of the MG5 could not get connected despite trying 2 separate units with no luck.
Revisited the hub on Friday to charge before going home to again charge with no issues.

I tried to charge my ZS at a Tesla Supercharger today. It was unsuccessful as the app could not detect my car. I have previously had a successful charge at this location. I went into the Tesla garage and asked if they were aware of any issues with the charger. They said that the ZS was on their recently updated 'blacklist'. They said this is something they are looking into but it was because MG didn't currently meet some form of communication criteria. Very frustrating. I charged successfully at a nearby Gridserve.
They sound like they are making stuff up.

It’s MG that have messed up. With the right fixes/updates on your car it can work fine with Tesla Super Chargers.

I have just tried at a Tesla forecourt in Cardiff. They informed me MG ZS are banned from their network as the CCS isn’t certified as standard by MG so that and one other MG model will not charge at all.
This is wrong.

Personal experience in Australia: when they opened up some Tesla test sites for other EVs, within a week a couple of other charging network prices jumped to closely match the exhorbitant prices that Tesla charge. Just recenty, they've opened some other stations more widely, but I have no interest in using any of these: prices are silly & for an utra rapid that many /most cars cannot take advantage of, yet the price is far higher. 50-75kW is just fine for my ZS EV. + American spyware & I have no interest in having any part of Tesla's data collection. Finally, I fine the whole 'walled garden' thing (like Apple) & in this case for Tesla's to be highly unethical given the current crisis around climate chaange & where Tesla still tries to maintain a grip on their own brand of energy. F-off, no thanks. Plenty of other chargers around & I can't say I've had any problems with any of those (including the more pricey BP & Ampol), plus for the most part I charge at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
They sound like they are making stuff up.

It’s MG that have messed up. With the right fixes/updates on your car it can work fine with Tesla Super Chargers.
Thanks. I'll look into that. It would make sense as I've successfully charged my ZS at the Tesla Supercharger before but this is the first time I've been back to try since its annual service in July so maybe something was updated incorrectly. I'll contact my garage. Thanks.

Personal experience in Australia: when they opened up some Tesla test sites for other EVs, within a week a couple of other charging network prices jumped to closely match the exhorbitant prices that Tesla charge. Just recenty, they've opened some other stations more widely, but I have no interest in using any of these: prices are silly & for an utra rapid that many /most cars cannot take advantage of, yet the price is far higher. 50-75kw is just fine for my ZS EV. + American spyware & I have no interest in having any part of Tesla's data collection. Finally, I fine the whole 'walled garden' thing (like Apple) & in this case for Tesla's to be highly unethical given the current crisis around climate chaange & where Tesla still tries to maintain a grip on their own brand of energy. F-off, no thanks. Plenty of other chargers around & I can't say I've had any problems with any of those (including the more pricey BP & Ampol), plus for the most part I charge at home.
Weird. In the UK (and many other parts of the world) Tesla are the cheapest per kWh.

In my trip to France this Summer I specifically looked for them due to this fact.

I've been in contact with MG customer service about the open Tesla charger issue. My Dec 232ZSEV LR is not compatible. Their line is that Tesla chargers have additional communication requirements and the car needs an update to the vehicles EVCC. This is chargeable because it is not a fault with the vehicle.

I've yet to have a reply to my response pointing out that newer cars are compatible (which would suggest this function is required for the UK market) and the car was originally marketed with ota updates, which has proved to be misleading.

Not sure I'll bother with the update because I don't use fast chargers much and I don't like being misled.

I've been in contact with MG customer service about the open Tesla charger issue. My Dec 232ZSEV LR is not compatible. Their line is that Tesla chargers have additional communication requirements and the car needs an update to the vehicles EVCC. This is chargeable because it is not a fault with the vehicle.
It may not be a fault with the vehicle, but if the vehicle cannot charge, then it is not fit for purpose and therefore they should offer a full refund on your purchase.

It may not be a fault with the vehicle, but if the vehicle cannot charge, then it is not fit for purpose and therefore they should offer a full refund on your purchase.
Exactly the point.

MG + others want to paint it as a Tesla thing, but then why are all the other brands ok?

MG have messed up and should not be charging for the updates.

Exactly the point.

MG + others want to paint it as a Tesla thing, but then why are all the other brands ok?

I don't know the answer to these questions. When I asked MG why other cars were fine I never received a direct reply

Personally, I've simply concluded I won't buy another MG and told them so. Perhaps if others were to do the same it might eventually sink in how short sited this is.

Exactly the point.

Tesla have made it very common knowledge for a while now, that the problem clearly lies with a lack of a suitable charging protocol, that will not permit certain ZS EV's and MG5's models to communicate with their small number of non Tesla super chargers.
The check and updating of modules can be a time consuming job and connecting to the server in China, can be a very hit or miss affair.
It is not just a case of selecting "Up Date All" unfortunately.
The dealer first of all, wants to be assured they are going to get paid for the time taken.
It appears that MG are very unwilling to pick up the tab, so the dealer then wants the customer to bridge that payment gap !.
If you remember, it was a similar situation when the "Comfort 2" update was released on the Gen1 ZS EV.
MG said it was an "improvement / enhancement " and therefore not completely necessary, but if the customer wanted the update, then it was seen as a payable cost option by the customer.
A number of owners had it done FOC but some where charged for the work, by the dealer.
This cost varied depending on your location.
MG where very clever when releasing the Comfort 2 update.
Yes it DID have some "Nice To Have Improvement Features" included, but these where bungled together with some of the more important issues raised by early adopters / owners of the car.
Like when the horn started beeping loudly very late at night, when the passenger left the car first, before the driver.
Possibly awaking neighbours and breaking the law at the same time of course !
In this regard, the charging software update for non Tesla super chargers is similar.
Do I think the cost should be covered by the customer ?.
No of course, it should automatically be done at the time of the annual service.
This is the main reason given by MG just WHY your car should be serviced at least once a year, at one of their main dealers ( according to MG that is ).
But I guess if the update is really important to you and you want it done urgently, then it is not to unreasonable to think that some owners would be willing to pay for the dealers time ?.
I can totally understand why people want this facility of course.
One because the Tesla super chargers are so quick and very reliable, two because right now their charging rates are cheaper than many of their competitors !.

But I guess if the update is really important to you and you want it done urgently, then it is not to unreasonable to think that some owners would be willing to pay for the dealers time ?.
I can totally understand why people want this facility of course.
I wouldn't call it a 'facility' really.

MG should be making sure it works with all CCS2 chargers. And if it doesn't work it should be fixed under warranty.

Nobody should be rolling over like a puppy and allowing themselves to be charged over it.

It is MG that have told dealers this is a ,'comfort' upgrade and therefore chargeable even, as would be the case with me, it is done at the same time as the annual service.

It's clearly nonsense to argue as MG is doing that this functionality is not required for the UK market given:
:
  • newer UK cars come with it;
  • other non Tesla cars seem to be compatible;
  • at the time I ordered the car it was being marketed with ota updates (although this was subsequently clarified to apply only to the infotainment system)

It also damages MGs reputation for what must me marginal additional revenue (Someone on here has reported being quoted ,£120 for the update as a pass through from MG.)

But the bottom line is what to do about it other than moan into the ether. I will see what the garage says when I take the car in. In the meantime I have told MG what I think and if they don't shift their position then I won't pay for the car to be updated. I also won't buy another MG. Puppy or not.

It is MG that have told dealers this is a ,'comfort' upgrade and therefore chargeable even, as would be the case with me, it is done at the same time as the annual service.

It's clearly nonsense to argue as MG is doing that this functionality is not required for the UK market given:
:
  • newer UK cars come with it;
  • other non Tesla cars seem to be compatible;
  • at the time I ordered the car it was being marketed with ota updates (although this was subsequently clarified to apply only to the infotainment system)

It also damages MGs reputation for what must me marginal additional revenue (Someone on here has reported being quoted ,£120 for the update as a pass through from MG.)

But the bottom line is what to do about it other than moan into the ether. I will see what the garage says when I take the car in. In the meantime I have told MG what I think and if they don't shift their position then I won't pay for the car to be updated. I also won't by another MG. Puppy or not.
The comfort update thing was different, it applied to gen one cars and was mainly about bonging and other bits and bobs.

The Tesla fault is gen two and an actual fault. This isn't referred to as a comfort update.

I didn't pay for the fix and nobody else should!

You're correct, it was about the “Bings & Bongs” on the Gen1 comfort update, but as I have said before, MG where clever in the way they disguised the nice to have improvements, by including them with some of the important issues reported by early adopters, that where clearly not acceptable.
Again - I do agree that the non Tesla charging update SHOULD be applied FOC at the time of the annual service.
That is the main selling point of offering up your car to a main dealer, rather than using a third party EV facility.
I do seem to remember that Miles had reported, that before the Gen2 went on general sale to the public, that a camouflaged Gen2 model was seen travelling up and down the U.K.
Very likely to be conducting compatibility trails on different types / makes of CCS units ( amongst other things ).
Unlikely they even thought to approach / trial any of the Tesla superchargers at that point in time, as it was never thought that these units would ever be opened up to the non Tesla models in all fairness.
Maybe that is why the charging protocol was never checked ????.

The comfort update thing was different, it applied to gen one cars and was mainly about bonging and other bits and bobs.

The Tesla fault is gen two and an actual fault. This isn't referred to as a comfort update.

I didn't pay for the fix and nobody else should!

Rather than risk you misleading people this is the email I received from MG customer service.

'This software update I believe you are referring to will be for the vehicles EVCC.

The dealership can contact us directly should they require any further guidance on this.

It is important to note that the application of this update would be chargeable to you by your dealership as it is a ‘comfort’ update rather than an update that is required due to a fault with the vehicle.

I assume that the dealership would have already discussed the above with you but I just wanted to clarify this with you just incase.'

Sounds as though you were fortunate if you dealer did it for free.

Rather than risk you misleading people this is the email I received from MG customer service.

'This software update I believe you are referring to will be for the vehicles EVCC.

The dealership can contact us directly should they require any further guidance on this.

It is important to note that the application of this update would be chargeable to you by your dealership as it is a ‘comfort’ update rather than an update that is required due to a fault with the vehicle.

I assume that the dealership would have already discussed the above with you but I just wanted to clarify this with you just incase.'

Sounds as though you were fortunate if you dealer did it for free.
My reply would be, "when did fuelling any vehicle, at any fuelling station become a comfort?". Total bo**ocks.

I am someone who paid £120 for the Tesla update and did so to make sure that there were no grey areas in it being available. I’m travelling in France at the moment and the Tesla Super Chargers have filled in a few holes in the itinerary perfectly.
As Miles mentioned in the podcast a few days ago MG UK and other distributors around the world are not told about the contents of updates - they just appear from SAIC.
I must say I am pleased with the Tesla update regardless of the vague implementation information. My dealer Thompson First has been great on the matter.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom