Using Tesla Superchargers with my ZS EV

Great you had it done, and to know it works. I've reached a different decision partly based on bloody mindedness and partly on need.

We are just back from the far south west of France and found the combination of Ionity, Fast Ned and Total Energies more than adequate. Paid for them all on Electroverse which worked flawlessly, although poor for route planning. Enjoy your hols.

Rather than risk you misleading people this is the email I received from MG customer service.

'This software update I believe you are referring to will be for the vehicles EVCC.

The dealership can contact us directly should they require any further guidance on this.

It is important to note that the application of this update would be chargeable to you by your dealership as it is a ‘comfort’ update rather than an update that is required due to a fault with the vehicle.

I assume that the dealership would have already discussed the above with you but I just wanted to clarify this with you just incase.'

Sounds as though you were fortunate if you dealer did it for free.

It being named 'comfort' is highly misleading.

This is a a patch that MG should be applying to fix their problems!

That is the only response that should be made to that email.

I honestly doubt my

I've already replied pointing out this is unacceptable for all sorts of reasons. MG has ignored me. Needs a few more people to complain.

I failed 3 times at Tesla Eurotunnel Folkestone recently. Software update due in October so that may fix it but, frankly, I'm not sure I'll use Tesla unless I have little choice from now on anyway. Agree that Osprey are reliable, if a bit on the pricey side, and the Electroverse app makes them easy to use too. For me, though, Ionity rocks (about 20-24 UK sites at the mo). Better still, if you can find one, Fastned (about 17 in UK at the mo), especially when you register for their "Autocharge" which links your VIN to your account so means "Plug and Play". Perfect ( just remember to remove your car from the account when you sell it!)! These two are much more common on the continent but worth seeking out here, where you can, imho.

Your car wouldn't change at Folkestone because it's not compatible with open Tesla superchargers. As things stand MG will make an additional charge for the update needed to fix this. As far as I know it is not part of the update your car will receive in October.

Personally I think it unacceptable that a car (which in my case is less than a year old) won't be able to use all available UK chargers without making an additional payment to MG.

Imagine if ICE car drivers had to pay for an engine modification to use a new type of fossil fuel. There'd be questions in Parliament.
Not defending MG but assuming the Tesla network was 'locked' at the time of the software being written it is possible that MG wrote it so as to not take any notice of them to protect the car/system/battery ... then Tesla unlock the network afterwards but the MG software is unable to detect/work with it ... that is not a fault.

I agree that MG should be offering that update for free but there will need to be a way for dealers to claim the workshop time needed to safely/successfully complete the updates for customers who want it if out of the annual service cycle. However as the Tesla network is cheaper than most other fast networks (and even more so at off-peak times due to their dynamic pricing) I would expect any MG user who decides/has to pay to cover the cost within a dozen or so charges?

When the E10 petrol was introduced not all vehicles were compatible and never will be - so drivers just have to use 98 grade petrol at their dime ...

Not defending MG but assuming the Tesla network was 'locked' at the time of the software being written it is possible that MG wrote it so as to not take any notice of them to protect the car/system/battery ... then Tesla unlock the network afterwards but the MG software is unable to detect/work with it ... that is not a fault.

I agree that MG should be offering that update for free but there will need to be a way for dealers to claim the workshop time needed to safely/successfully complete the updates for customers who want it if out of the annual service cycle. However as the Tesla network is cheaper than most other fast networks (and even more so at off-peak times due to their dynamic pricing) I would expect any MG user who decides/has to pay to cover the cost within a dozen or so charges?
@jont131 I made very similar comments earlier in this thread #31 (y).

MG will charge irrespective of whether the work is done as part of the service cycle. For me, I expect rather less measley aftercare from a car manufacturer. Surely it is not unreasonable for a car (that is less than a year old) to be able to use alo available chargers. And remember this car was originally marketed with the misleading claim that it came with over the air updates.

I don't know definitively but all the reports I've seen suggest newly supplied cars are able to use available Tesla chargers. MG only believe it is acceptable to make a charge if the car was supplied before some Tesla chargers in the UK were available more widely.

Given MG already have history with this approach (Comfort update to MK1) they'll no doubt be future updates you'll be expected to pay for. Not acceptable to me, so I'll be avoiding MG in the future.

I wouldn't count on it.

My PDI was so ineffective they were happy to deliver a car to me that couldn't even charge.
I have used the same dealer for a long time and they have always looked after me and my cars and I do intend to try it very early on as I have a Tesla charger not too far from me that is open

No off street parking I assume 🥹.
I do have off street parking so whilst around home I will never use a public charger, had a PHEV for last 8 years so used to charging at home. Trouble is we regular stay at a flat , without car access, 175 miles from home and obviously I will need public charging there.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom