V2H (vehicle to home): Its working!

Tig170

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Albeit at low loads (lower than 2kw so far! - baby steps - out of the box settings - not hard wired - just low level hobiest!) - I've managed to get the concept working - it does work!! - we can use the MG4 as a back-up battery bank to your house (we're using the victron Multiplus II + Pylontech )!

Last edited:
Please don't try wiring it unto your house mains,

So your Victron has two AC inputs as well as DC. But how does it synchronise the two AC inputs? My understanding was that it used one at a time to charge the DC and could discharge the DC through the other, so are you really going AC-DC-AC in the Victron having already gone DC-AC in your MG?

So your Victron has two AC inputs as well as DC. But how does it synchronise the two AC inputs? My understanding was that it used one at a time to charge the DC and could discharge the DC through the other, so are you really going AC-DC-AC in the Victron having already gone DC-AC in your MG?
Very good - already getting way off topic - but it may be a bit of interest - the standard system (Multiplus), has 1 AC1-IN (bi directional), and AC-OUT-1 & AC-OUT-2, the quattro has the same AC-OUT(s) but also has an additional AC1-IN-2, at present I'm just proving the concept (I've only had the car 2 days), and have switched off the semi-automatic bi-direction on AC-IN-1 - but essentially the Victron does all the magic of syncing the AC side of things (and the AC-DC-AC - which is around 95% efficient)?

Albeit at low loads (lower than 2kw so far! - baby steps - out of the box settings - not hard wired - just low level hobiest!) - I've managed to get the concept working - it does work!! - we can use the MG4 as a back-up battery bank to your house (we're using the victron Multiplus II + Pylontech )!
Very interesting! What cables are you using between the car and the inverter?

If it's that good that's awesome. It slightly depends on whether this is going to be for daily use or just for emergencies.
This is the sort of thing I'm hoping might be possible in the long run. Anything more than plugging in the freezer via an extension lead needs to be simple and use existing/ inexpensive equipment. Other solutions I've seen haven't seemed to hit the cost/benefit sweet spot for me given the limited use it will likely get.

It seems combining the car battery with a home solar/battery set-up is a potential way to acheive this, so I will watch everyones endeavours with interest and hope someone works out an elegant, safe and cost-effective solution to use the car as an emergency back-up.

This for me is the game changer with EV's. Balancing the grid, charging cheap, discharge EV when expensive is the future. I jsut hope that the MG4 supports it when the bidirectional chargers are released

Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm looking to do the same using a Victron Quattro. I've connected the MG to AC-in-1 which is the recommended input for using a generator but I cannot get it to start transferring power. Did you change any of the settings within the Victron inverter such as LoM or grid codes to succesfully connect? Been banging my head with this one!

Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm looking to do the same using a Victron Quattro. I've connected the MG to AC-in-1 which is the recommended input for using a generator but I cannot get it to start transferring power. Did you change any of the settings within the Victron inverter such as LoM or grid codes to succesfully connect? Been banging my head with this one!
The MG isn’t intelligent, so you will have to select start discharging on the MG, plus reduce input current to around 10A on the VE, also be a bit careful with your earthing arrangements, as many home electrical systems have combined neutral / earth.

EDIT: I should say I only have the Multiplus II GX & used Interface MK3-USB (VE.Bus to USB), about a year ago, but havent needed to use the interface since, I use ESS eneabled, also

Last edited:
Thanks for replying. I've reduced down the input current over several steps from 16 down to 4 and used lots of variations of the tick boxes that are meant to help when using a generator such as Dynamic current limiter, turning off the UPS function and using weak AC input when charging but with no joy. I installed a dedicated earth rod between the car and the Victron.

Maybe it's just an issue with the Quattro over the Multiplus but great that you managed to get it working with ESS which is exactly what I want to achieve. I've used both VEConfigure and VEConnect using the MK3-USB so I'll keep trying!

I vaguely remembered an issue with ESS, what happens when you switch on scheduled Charging for say 10 mins? I currently operate mode optimised (without battery life) : also make sure in the system setup (in the standard remote console) the correct labels for AC IN 1 & 2: what do you have for monitor for grid failure? (mine is currently disabled). ... as I only need V2H in Dec & Jan

I,ve fitted level 2 surge protectors before the electrical circuits for the EV charger to protect against inducted currents/voltages should the grid be hit by lightning. Are there any similar automatic protective devices in the equipment you are using ?

I vaguely remembered an issue with ESS, what happens when you switch on scheduled Charging for say 10 mins? I currently operate mode optimised (without battery life) : also make sure in the system setup (in the standard remote console) the correct labels for AC IN 1 & 2: what do you have for monitor for grid failure? (mine is currently disabled). ... as I only need V2H in Dec & Jan
When the MK3-USB is connected ESS is non-functional but I'm not even getting pass-through. The Quattro detects 222V at 50.1Hz when the mg is in discharge mode but disconnects shortly thereafter and reverts back to AC-in 2 (grid).

I am getting an out of phase error from the VE.Bus monitor when it's trying to connect to the mg so I'll try to explore that. This is turning out to be lots of work for probably little gain :)

Did you manage to squeeze more than 2kw out of the car in the end (presuming your using the 470 resister)?

When the MK3-USB is connected ESS is non-functional but I'm not even getting pass-through. The Quattro detects 222V at 50.1Hz when the mg is in discharge mode but disconnects shortly thereafter and reverts back to AC-in 2 (grid).
To be honest it sounds like you are nearly there, as i noted i have the Multiplus II GX - so use an auto transfer swtich to change from AC in Grid to AC in Generator, but mainly use off grid mode / MPPT solar, until cheap overnight rates, where in the summer dont need to topup, but in the winter will makes a decision on a day to day basis (given my peak rate at around 50p / unit)

I am getting an out of phase error from the VE.Bus monitor when it's trying to connect to the mg so I'll try to explore that. This is turning out to be lots of work for probably little gain :)

Have you tried switching AC IN 1 and 2 around, as my basic understading is that AC IN 1 is the master, with AC 2 the slave.

Did you manage to squeeze more than 2kw out of the car in the end (presuming your using the 470 resister)?

(Yip 470 resister) No issues what so ever taking power from the MG4, as noted, i only need in Dec 22/ Jan 23. I did take it upto ~2.4Kw for 10 hrs, and found no hotspot temps. in the car (plus i used a thermal image camera) - the only thing that i did find strange was the display if i left on climate control in the car, as at times it did creap up to over 5Kw didcharge on the display.

I do agree its not worth it, as its cheap taking power from the grid overnight far outweights any local / home owner intervention (I think my december 22 bill, nearly taking 1GW - was around £90 incl. standing charge), ive just looked on the smart meter display:- Total this year = 3082Kwh which has cost £289 (incl. standing charge at nearlty 50p / day), which is way less than 10p / unit (so if we assume 6 months, then the standing charge is £150, and the usage is £150, i.e. 5p / unit (with EDF))

Attachments

• IMG_4968.PNG
    IMG_4968.PNG
    173 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Thanks for your responses, it's much appreciated.

I originally had the grid connected to AC-IN1 as that's the priorty input on the Quattro. I've only recently got the mg4 and tried hooking that up AC-IN2 but didn't work and everything I've read suggests putting the generator connection on AC-IN1 as it will automatically take from there if voltage is detected and then revert back to AC-IN2 if not, so I swapped.

There's a new firmware available so I'll update that to see if it helps.

My energy usage is a lot higher than yours as no gas connection so everything is electric. It would be nice in the winter to use the overnight Intelligent Octopus rate and fill up the car and then use that during the day when the car is not in use.

The 'Out of phase' message is strange as I pressume the mg4 output is single phase as is my setup. Fingers crossed on the firmware update :)

Im sure you've seen this, but incase not.

EDIT : in VE configure: "Once the program has been started and the inverter has been found as a target, open the "Grid" page and deactivate the check on "UPS function" as shown in the figure, if this function is active you will not be able to connect the generator."

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 534 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel