V2L switching off after a few seconds ZS EV 2022!

Sorry to hear that. I bought mine from:
and it worked OK so far. I ran a 1200w microwave + air-fryer + fridge simultaneously for about a half hour and all worked without issue. Though I won't overdo it. I've achieved my goal to have fridge backup if the power goes out.
The only nagging issue is that the driving lights remain ON the whole time I'm doing V2L. very annoying.
Lock the car, lights goes out and should carry on discharging

I think I have figured out the reason the car stops charging after a few seconds! To confirm:-
1. The car is in "Ready" to drive away mode
2. Car headlights are on (Dip mode if lights set to Auto), switch lights Off and the Day Running Lights remain ON.
3. With the discharge cable connected to the car and the "Stop Discharging" level set to 20%, the car will discharge happily.............ONLY when it is between 50-100% - as soon as the car drops below 50% battery available the V2L stops working! I have tested this on a few occasions and can confirm this is actually the case! I have not tried moving the "Stop Discharging" level above 50% to see if it actually does anything or is it just "Built In" to stop at 50%!
4. This is with a "Non - MG" V2L cable with a 470 ohm resistor fitted.

Hope this helps!

I think I have figured out the reason the car stops charging after a few seconds! To confirm:-
1. The car is in "Ready" to drive away mode
2. Car headlights are on (Dip mode if lights set to Auto), switch lights Off and the Day Running Lights remain ON.
3. With the discharge cable connected to the car and the "Stop Discharging" level set to 20%, the car will discharge happily.............ONLY when it is between 50-100% - as soon as the car drops below 50% battery available the V2L stops working! I have tested this on a few occasions and can confirm this is actually the case! I have not tried moving the "Stop Discharging" level above 50% to see if it actually does anything or is it just "Built In" to stop at 50%!
4. This is with a "Non - MG" V2L cable with a 470 ohm resistor fitted.

Hope this helps!
Set lower level with finger, mine is set at 20%

Set lower level with finger, mine is set at 20%
I can slide the lower level setting up / down but when the car goes below 50% (car is currently at 47% with the lower level at 20%) it stops V2L functionality ignoring the lower limit. Once the car is back above 50% I will slide the lower level up to see if it actually does anything i.e. stops V2L if i set lower limit to 70% for example!

Although I do understand your point of the V2L not being able to discharge to an accessory, if the battery discharge HV level is set to less than 50%.
But why both having an adjustable slide control in the first place then ?.
Of course, there is the built in factor that you don’t want to discharge the HV battery to a level, that prevents the owner from reaching a charging point, but if you are at home you could be within feet of your wall box ?.
So in theory you could use your HV battery to then discharge via the V2L cable from 100% SOC to say 20% SOC ( or lower ) in an emergency situation like a power cut.
But being restricted from 100% to only 50% cuts this service in half ?.
I am not doubting or critical of what you say, but I am struggling to understand why they have set it up this way ?.
If the lower limit is indeed 50% SOC and then it stops discharging, that is unfortunate for some people.
Question :-
Has anybody been able to continue the use of their V2L cable running an accessory, when the SOC of the HV is less than 50% please ?.

If the 470 ohm resistor no longer works then MG must've pushed out an update. The 2k resistor should limit the output to 16 amps, as I understand it, whereas the 470 ohm resistor enables a full 7 kw to be output.
I think it has to be quite close to 470Ω, 2 kΩ would indicate 16 A of ordinary charging, not V2L, I believe.

470Ω was chosen because it was about the middle of the range that worked at all. But slight differences from 470Ω (e.g. 440Ω) might call for a more realistic current limit. Though I assume that the inverter knows its own limit, and would at least limit to that. But for thinner cables, yes, some variant from 470Ω (probably whatever comes with the standard cable, I forget the value) is the value that should be used.

I have an official MG V2L cable (on loan) which has a 2k resistor in it. It seems either 2k or 470 ohms works to tell the car it's a discharge cable.
Oops, I somehow missed that post. That surprises me, and also totally invalidates my last post. Sigh.

Edit: per this web page, both 470Ω and 2 k Ω are non-standard for ordinary charging. So I suppose that MG could be looking for either value, but that makes little sense to me.

Last edited:
Apparently the official vehicle to load cable is 2k ohm some more info
View attachment 14110
MG ZS EV 2022 Trophy Connect Model
My cable's not working. CP isn't connected
small plug 427ohms.jpg

large cable 676 ohms.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's strange that you read different values with opposite polarities.

Are the values consistent (in each direction), or is the resistance perhaps intermittent?
Different cables with a different resistor in. Sorry, didn't realise I'd put the probes in a different way until you said it. I'll burn my IET/City and guilds certs later ;)
1688729718145.png
1688729768856.png
1688729736606.png

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom