Vehicle Control System Fault - New MG ZS EV 2022

Mihir

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I was driving back with my wife and my little son from Taunton to Milton Keynes yesterday and stopped at Leigh Delamere Services on M4 with 14% SOC and 25 miles left at about 4.15pm. When I reached there, there was a Renault Zoe on charge using the GridServe CCS 120 kW charger. (It was the only 1 CCS one. I had not checked that on ZAP Map. Point to learn - Look for places with more than 1 CCS charging points). It was at 50% and the owner did come back till it was about 95% charged. I was patiently waiting! Whlist I was waiting, I started charging using my type 2 cable on a 22kW AC charger that was free. Once the Zoe owner was back at around 4.45pm, I disconnected the AC charger and tried to connect to the CCS and the car would not charge saying charging ceased. I also noticed a Vehilce Control System Fault and asking me to stop immediately! The car just wouldn't start after that.

I called AA for assitance and meanwhile looked for more information. I saw one thread where people have complained about this problem in Gen 1 cars. It needed 10mm spanner to disconnect the battery and reconnect. Someone suggested to lock the car and start again after 10 mins. And some of them even suggested that it had to be taken to the garage etc and it took about a week to fix! This made me a bit nervous too. I tried locking and starting after 10 mins. And it did not help!

AA help finally arrived at about 5.50pm. To my surprise he mentioned that he had no clue about electric cars at the first place as he did not deal with them often(point to note - When you call AA for help, please mention to them to send someone who has EV knowledge!). He scrambled on his system to come back to tell that there is nothing on his system about this fault. I told him that I checked on google and it was suggested to use the 10mm spanner to disconnect and reconnect the battery. He said we can try that and it was called battery reset. He did that and it did not help!

I had also read a post that said it needed an OBD dongle and clearing of the fault by technician in the garage. I suggested that to him and he said he can try and do that. He did that and told since this was a new car, it wasn't on their systems and it was not detecting initially. I am not sure what he did after that but he managed to connect to the car and clear the faults on his tablet and the fault finally disappeared from the dashboard screen. And I was able to move the car! However the CCS charger would still not charge the car and charging was ceasing all the time. We connected to the AC and it was charging. He mentioned that it could be a fault with BMS somewhere! Whilst we were waiting and solving all this, 2 more Gen 1 MGs came by and they did exactly the same as me(connect to AC for a bit and then DC) and none of them had any issues!

I could not sit and slow charge my car since I was about 100 miles away from home and so decided to go away to another charging point which was about 2 miles away! Ionity chargers at Chippenham and once I plugged it and it started charging straight away! A big big relief to us! Charged for about 30 mins and we were on the move again!

It is still a mystery to me why this happened and what caused it to happen. It creates panic if you are unsure what to do. Thanks to the forum and some old posts, I could atleast dig into previous experiences and some possible solutions. I was plain lucky that one of the solutions worked for me! I am still not sure if it was the AC charging that caused the issue. Or was it the Renault Zoe charging before me that caused the issue (one of the posts suggested this too!) Or was it a fault with the GridServe charger as Ionity did not have any issues charging my car(but the other MG's used the same charger after me and it worked for them!). The 10mm spanner battery reset did not help and the AA technician had no clue what was going on. I am not sure if this needs a check with the MG dealership? Or can I just ignore this as a one off and get on! It does become a bit of a panic situation especially when you are out with family and kids. An unforgettable experience least to say!

You would post that as im sat at a fast charger! I think I'll have to make sure I've got my obd scanner with me in future to be honest.

I do hope they get some sort of fix out for this behaviour soon.

You would post that as im sat at a fast charger! I think I'll have to make sure I've got my obd scanner with me in future to be honest.

I do hope they get some sort of fix out for this behaviour soon.
I am not sure if there are any obd scanners that work with the new MG ZS EVs yet. I do hope there is a solution for this. It will make me keep an eye out everytime I am on the services now! And I will choose the chargers too. Somehow I feel, the GridServe charger after Zoe did something unexpected. I may be over reacting but Ionity was really easy for me despite the high price. It was more of being able to get back home without any further issues than costs too!

Yeah, I'm at a fastned charger, managed to used my free charge I had with Bonnet. So that's good. I've used instavolt and MFG EV Power chargers without issues. Hope this one is the same. Not heard great things about grid serve.

I would think reading error codes using an obd reader should he straightforward. It's meant to be a standard connection.

It's a shame that so few cars actually support 22kw charging.

In my experience, with the ZE50, it can actually be faster than CCS from a medium state of charge...

Has'nt there been a few threads on here recently with people essentially "bricking" their cars when using certain fast chargers.

I seem to remeber a post recently about a guy at the euro tunnel, wanting to top up the car, and ended having to have it towed to a MG garage that had to do a whole lot of software resetting to get it operational again.

I was driving back with my wife and my little son from Taunton to Milton Keynes yesterday and stopped at Leigh Delamere Services on M4 with 14% SOC and 25 miles left at about 4.15pm. When I reached there, there was a Renault Zoe on charge using the GridServe CCS 120 kW charger. (It was the only 1 CCS one. I had not checked that on ZAP Map. Point to learn - Look for places with more than 1 CCS charging points). It was at 50% and the owner did come back till it was about 95% charged. I was patiently waiting! Whlist I was waiting, I started charging using my type 2 cable on a 22kW AC charger that was free. Once the Zoe owner was back at around 4.45pm, I disconnected the AC charger and tried to connect to the CCS and the car would not charge saying charging ceased. I also noticed a Vehilce Control System Fault and asking me to stop immediately! The car just wouldn't start after that.

I called AA for assitance and meanwhile looked for more information. I saw one thread where people have complained about this problem in Gen 1 cars. It needed 10mm spanner to disconnect the battery and reconnect. Someone suggested to lock the car and start again after 10 mins. And some of them even suggested that it had to be taken to the garage etc and it took about a week to fix! This made me a bit nervous too. I tried locking and starting after 10 mins. And it did not help!

AA help finally arrived at about 5.50pm. To my surprise he mentioned that he had no clue about electric cars at the first place as he did not deal with them often(point to note - When you call AA for help, please mention to them to send someone who has EV knowledge!). He scrambled on his system to come back to tell that there is nothing on his system about this fault. I told him that I checked on google and it was suggested to use the 10mm spanner to disconnect and reconnect the battery. He said we can try that and it was called battery reset. He did that and it did not help!

I had also read a post that said it needed an OBD dongle and clearing of the fault by technician in the garage. I suggested that to him and he said he can try and do that. He did that and told since this was a new car, it wasn't on their systems and it was not detecting initially. I am not sure what he did after that but he managed to connect to the car and clear the faults on his tablet and the fault finally disappeared from the dashboard screen. And I was able to move the car! However the CCS charger would still not charge the car and charging was ceasing all the time. We connected to the AC and it was charging. He mentioned that it could be a fault with BMS somewhere! Whilst we were waiting and solving all this, 2 more Gen 1 MGs came by and they did exactly the same as me(connect to AC for a bit and then DC) and none of them had any issues!

I could not sit and slow charge my car since I was about 100 miles away from home and so decided to go away to another charging point which was about 2 miles away! Ionity chargers at Chippenham and once I plugged it and it started charging straight away! A big big relief to us! Charged for about 30 mins and we were on the move again!

It is still a mystery to me why this happened and what caused it to happen. It creates panic if you are unsure what to do. Thanks to the forum and some old posts, I could atleast dig into previous experiences and some possible solutions. I was plain lucky that one of the solutions worked for me! I am still not sure if it was the AC charging that caused the issue. Or was it the Renault Zoe charging before me that caused the issue (one of the posts suggested this too!) Or was it a fault with the GridServe charger as Ionity did not have any issues charging my car(but the other MG's used the same charger after me and it worked for them!). The 10mm spanner battery reset did not help and the AA technician had no clue what was going on. I am not sure if this needs a check with the MG dealership? Or can I just ignore this as a one off and get on! It does become a bit of a panic situation especially when you are out with family and kids. An unforgettable experience least to say!
I wonder if there is a problem using 3 phase AC charging on UK models set up for single phase only?

I wonder if we can collect all the experiences of these control faults that make the cars un-operable? It would be useful to have a list of all the chargers that people have had the fault with to see if there is any common factor. Also which chargers maybe to avoid.

@Harry : You make a fair point here! Cos at home we have single phase AC 7kW charger and the rapids are DC CCS but the one I used was 22kW 3 phase AC. Possibly that may be causing an issue. Would be interesting to know if anyone else used a 3 phase charger without any issues.

Our charger at work is a three phase 22kw, its the one I've mainly been using since I got the car - I've had no issues

I should really stop reading posts like those, the more I read about charging problems the more it sort of puts me off going anywhere too far away, that I’ll need to charge to get back home, I mean with an ice car, you just stick fuel in it and away you go…I’m sure it’ll be fine and it doesn’t happen all that often…does it?

If this is something that starts to happen with any kind of frequency for "lots" of users, i bet that the problem will very quickly be resolved, either by a firmware upgrade for the car or a firmware upgrade for the chargers that "brick" the car.

Especially with a 7 year warranty, MG would not be interested in having to pay for a lot of cars towed to the repairshops, and loaner cars while they fix them, again and again, year after year.

Only problem is...If it is the car that needs the update, it will probably be a "Go to a certified workshop" kind of deal, as only the infotainment can be upgraded OTA.

My guess is that there is some sort of software bug in the protocol the charger and car uses to communicate with, and they will quickly find the bug and squash it.

This is where the "The nearest garage that can do the upgrade is over 100 miles away" becomes a problem.

In case you missed it, looks like MG do already have a fix or will have one soon;
Post in thread 'SHIPPING UPDATES' SHIPPING UPDATES
From reading that post i get the impression that :

1. MG knows there is a problem
2. MG has not yet released a firmware fix for this.

What this means is probably that all 2022 MG ZS EV owners will need to have their car software updated at a MG facility.

I just hope they have the fix ready in a month, because that is when they need to have the car back to fit the towbar, that is not in stock right now, and if they do, they might as well just do the update at that time.

Is there some sort of consensus on what brand of chargers or what company uses these chargers, so one could avoid them for now.

Thanks for this @jseabra. This is very useful.

As a conclusion:
1. Never start charging the car in Ready mode(I may have done this too.Cant remember it now). Its fine to go to Ready mode after the charging starts.
2. If we see this error, the way to solve it without getting towed is to ask AA to connect with OBD and clear the fault.

Thanks for this @jseabra. This is very useful.

As a conclusion:
1. Never start charging the car in Ready mode(I may have done this too.Cant remember it now). Its fine to go to Ready mode after the charging starts.
2. If we see this error, the way to solve it without getting towed is to ask AA to connect with OBD and clear the fault.

What kind of ODB-II equipment did he have.

I wonder if a "simple" ELM327 will do the trick.

My current car has this idea, once a year, if it is very hot, and i really push it on an onramp for the motorway, and i have all of my family or something other, that is "heavy" in the car, it will go into limp home mode, and complain about turbo boost. (Code related to turbo boost)

I have this ELM327 bluetooth dongle that i can connect to the car, and erase the code, and it will not be back for another year or more.

It would be great if this simple device would be able to erase the fault. It is not very large and have lived in a small "glovebox" in my current car, and i wanted to transfer it to the ZS.

if it is OBD-II engine codes, that needs deleting, it should theoretically be possible, as they are pretty standardized, both in format and in how to delete them i think.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom