Very pleasantly surprised

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi,

I have posted some of this on another thread, but thought it worth saying separately.

We test-drove an orange Trophy this morning. We had already ordered a white Trophy. Really pleasantly surprised. We are coming from a Skoda Karoq, so this is a down-size and a move away from a 'value' German make.

This is the first time we've driven an EV and we found the drive was utterly awesome. Seamless smooth power, great performance and the rear-wheel drivetrain gives excellent handling. Surprisingly the ride was excellent too, even on some rough roads. It was a total contrast to our DSG automatic petrol Karoq, which now feels slow, hard-riding and agricultural. The braking was just as smooth and seamless. Shame that there isn't a one-pedal mode but it takes just a gentle push of the brakes to stop at the lights.

Seats were comfortable. They are very different to the Skoda seats, soft and squashy rather than hard and firm, but did not seem to lack support. There is no lumbar adjustment, which is a pain, but then there will be compromises at a low (for EVs) price point. Not clear if they will be comfortable on a long journey, we'll see. The gear/handbrake plinth does jut into left-leg space a bit, but I don't think it will be a problem with proper adjustment.

Interior space is nothing short of amazing given the size of the car. Much more spacious feel inside than our (much bigger) Skoda. Excellent headroom and legroom in the front. Rear headroom is excellent. Legroom less so, high floor and limited space under the seats if the seat is set low (which is how we like it). Definitely fine though for occasional adult passengers and children. The interior is very dark. We loved that as the Skoda has a cream roof and grey dash and reflects light all over the windscreen.

Visibility is excellent to the front and side, better we felt than the Karoq (which is taller). Rear visibility is a bit limited as the rear glass is not very tall but adequate. Parking was a doddle with the 360 camera and this is the main reason we went for the Trophy. Without a camera I think it could be a challenge to reverse park. I was worried about the small-ish side mirror size but they give a really good view and are positioned really well.

Boot space is going to be a lot smaller than we're used to but it is a good shape and we can put the seats down whenever we need to. No centre armrest in the rear but that's not an issue for us.

In terms of looks, it seems very modern. Yes, the wheels look a bit small but frankly I'd much rather have better range and ride than monster rims, maybe that says more about my age than the car!

The Trophy is lacking the little spoiler on the rear that the SE has, which is a shame, as there is no rear windscreen wiper. However, the jutting out rear light bar and steeply raked rear screen I think will avoid much dirt coming up the back. I used to have a Golf with a rear wiper and the vertical rear meant it got filthy instantly despite the wiper, which was a real pain.

Overall, very pleasantly surprised. I think you just have to realise that EVs have a big price premium (£8-10k?) and so it will not compare in some respects to your petrol/diesel £26-31k car that you have now. But with the right expectations, this seems an absolute gem and bargain.

Tom.

Last edited:
Forgot to say, on the noise front the drivetrain is very quiet as you'd expect but there's a significant amount of road noise (maybe due to the tires?) and above 60 wind noise is noticeable. I wouldn't say it is worse than any other car but could be quieter.

How was it pulling away with wheel spin and handling?
My MG5 does tend to spin the front wheels a bit but the 4 is rear wheel drive so should be better.

How was it pulling away with wheel spin and handling?
My MG5 does tend to spin the front wheels a bit but the 4 is rear wheel drive so should be better.
No wheel spin at all, pulling away was amazingly smooth and fast (this was in dry conditions). I used to have a Golf GTi about 3 years ago and this feels nearly as fast but much better because the Golf would hit traction control in the first 3 gears and squirm around as it tried to put the power down. I know it isn't as fast but it feels quick.

Handling felt great, excellent balance and it was really good through the corners at speed, able to put the power down whilst off camber in a curve. Test drive was too brief to thoroughly test but it drove far better than I had expected.

Another thing I forgot to mention - the touchscreen is quite laggy and I found it would not always respond when I pressed it (did not test CarPlay/AndroidAuto, just the car software). I suspect this will be improved through software updates but those getting early cars should be aware that it is an issue. I think this will be more of an issue than with the MG5 as there are far fewer buttons on the MG4 and you need to use the touchscreen a lot more.

I suspect this will be improved through software updates
I don't.

Look at the Marvel R and other MGs - laggy unresponsive touchscreens aren't exactly new but seem to be 'on brand'.

There's nothing indicating that MG is looking to improve that experience.

Don't want to be a buzzkill, just manage expectations - and I guess it's better to expect to live with it as-is (and hopefully one day be pleasantly surprised), than to expect them to fix it soon and be regularly disappointed.

I don't.

Look at the Marvel R and other MGs - laggy unresponsive touchscreens aren't exactly new but seem to be 'on brand'.

There's nothing indicating that MG is looking to improve that experience.

Don't want to be a buzzkill, just manage expectations - and I guess it's better to expect to live with it as-is (and hopefully one day be pleasantly surprised), than to expect them to fix it soon and be regularly disappointed.
You may be right but as this is the new platform / generation system and it is a more central part of the user experience, I think there is more chance of it. We’ll see.

It would be better if manufacturers sorted this out before deliveries, but even some big names like VW seem to struggle with decent software.

Another thing I forgot to mention - the touchscreen is quite laggy and I found it would not always respond when I pressed it (did not test CarPlay/AndroidAuto, just the car software). I suspect this will be improved through software updates but those getting early cars should be aware that it is an issue. I think this will be more of an issue than with the MG5 as there are far fewer buttons on the MG4 and you need to use the touchscreen a lot more.
Going on from how long the touch screen response has been an issue, I wouldnt hold your breath “Edge”, I suspect this will be a long time in coming.

I plan to try and get used to then defend it when my wife alights from her Niro then climbs into my MG4 for a spin LOL

WHilst I ma happy with what I am getting, a negative for me (buying blind) is I can see the plastic covering the rear light cluster being very sub standard and scratching / discolouring very easily.

This is the first time we've driven an EV and we found the drive was utterly awesome. Seamless smooth power, great performance and the rear-wheel drivetrain gives excellent handling. Surprisingly the ride was excellent too, even on some rough roads. It was a total contrast to our DSG automatic petrol Karoq, which now feels slow, hard-riding and agricultural. The braking was just as smooth and seamless. Shame that there isn't a one-pedal mode but it takes just a gentle push of the brakes to stop at the lights.

Tom.
Isn't it funny about our desires. First time ever driving an EV but disappointed about lack of a one pedal mode. Why ? What you've never had you'll never miss. :)
Anyways, hope you get yours soon and welcome to the EV club.

Isn't it funny about our desires. First time ever driving an EV but disappointed about lack of a one pedal mode. Why ? What you've never had you'll never miss. :)
Anyways, hope you get yours soon and welcome to the EV club.
Indeed. Not a big deal, just I have heard so many people rave about one pedal so would have been nice to try it.

I have a ZSEV - most of the time it is one pedal driving as I use regen 3. It slows me down when I take my foot of the accelerator and I can coast to traffic lights etc. However, I still have to press the brake pedal though to come to a complete stop.

I have a ZSEV - most of the time it is one pedal driving as I use regen 3. It slows me down when I take my foot of the accelerator and I can coast to traffic lights etc. However, I still have to press the brake pedal though to come to a complete stop.
The MG4 I test drove was exactly like this. It was only a gentle braking to stop and easy and not an issue.

It’s one pedal driving when you use MG Pilot. The car will stop when the car in front stops. And start again when the car in front moves.

If you switch off creep and set regen to max, the car comes to a full stop when you lift your foot off the accelerator.
How do you switch off creep? Is this the same as Autohold?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 545 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back