Voice Recog Button - NOW WORKS

Jester27

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Evening all,

getting to grips with my SE SR today and noticed when using Android auto, When pressing the Speech button on the steering Wheel on my ZS it triggered the 'Hi Google Command' and told the phone to listen for a command.
But on the MG4 it doesn't seem to do anything, you have to press the Mic button on the screen to speak to AA / Google

Anyone else noticed or tried.
Is it a Bug ?
Do I have a faulty button ?

Cheers

Evening all,

getting to grips with my SE SR today and noticed when using Android auto, When pressing the Speech button on the steering Wheel on my ZS it triggered the 'Hi Google Command' and told the phone to listen for a command.
But on the MG4 it doesn't seem to do anything, you have to press the Mic button on the screen to speak to AA / Google

Anyone else noticed or tried.
Is it a Bug ?
Do I have a faulty button ?

Cheers
Just reminded me I can’t get mine working other than to activate Siri on CarPlay.

Usually press and hold for Google Assistant
Single Press for car voice commands
ok cool
will give that go on my break tonight
ZS was a quick press and worked perfectly
Unless thats what coming from the ZS Exclusive to the MG4 SE is...
I know the ZS exclusive had quite a few more tech tricks than SE 4

Single press work fine for me, whether it understands my West Country accent is another matter. Anyone know where the mic is located so I can project my voice towards it properly?

Just had a quick look at the Manual online and it doesnt mention Long hold

1 Speech Recognition Function Button Short press to turn on the speech recognition function; short press again to exit the speech recognition function.

The manual does mention voice commands though.
Which it does but not via the little button on the steering wheel.

Android Auto Android Auto enables information interaction between the android mobile phone and the on-board infotainment system, including map, music, telephone, voice commands and so on. Ensure the Android Auto software is downloaded to your phone using an APP from your regional APP supplier. Ensure that the function is enabled.

Last edited:
I did this yesterday and worked however if I want to reply to a message or basically asked by google assist a questions she never recognises what I am saying.... not a word. MG5 it worked fine

I did this yesterday and worked however if I want to reply to a message or basically asked by google assist a questions she never recognises what I am saying.... not a word. MG5 it worked fine
I'll have a good go with it today and let you know if same issues on mine.

Voice recognition seems to be working fine with the long press.
Can ask Google questions and it deals with them fine
Can ask it send messages to and call whoever
Everything seems spot on
Fwiw there is no integration with the cars systems like heating etc
But I didn't expect that anyway

CarPlay is worse. The voice button does not trigger Siri, it triggers the mg internal voice assistant. When you summon Siri by shouting at the phone it can’t get hear you well which leads me to believe the car is not passing the microphone input back to the phone in any way and it not summoning the assistant at all.

CarPlay is worse. The voice button does not trigger Siri, it triggers the mg internal voice assistant. When you summon Siri by shouting at the phone it can’t get hear you well which leads me to believe the car is not passing the microphone input back to the phone in any way and it not summoning the assistant at all.
You need to long press for Siri

I assume you've a trophy ?
Don't think the SE has an internal voice assistant

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums