Voltage & Battery balance

@Lovemyev yeah I can see this on my dash. As you mentioned this might be the update that was done. Not sure when it was done but it was Frasers in Falkirk Scotland who are an MG dealer.
So, you have the Comfort 2 update done, so thats a tick in the box !.
This COULD have been the entry point for the buggy software, it just depends on the date when it was applied to the car.
It's has little baring on it now though.
It IS possible that they did the BMS update prior to you collecting the car, but I doubt it.
Had they done it, then it should have been explained that a number of charge and balance cycles on a A/C supply would need to be done, to rebalance the pack.
I am fairly sure that some of the members, are fairly close to your location ?.
Folks - Can anybody recommend Frasers in Falkirk in Scotland for checking / applying the necessary, latest BMS update if required by @Wendycar127 please ???.
Has anybody had their BMS checked / applied correctly by them ?.
Thanks.

So, you have the Comfort 2 update done, so thats a tick in the box !.
This COULD have been the entry point for the buggy software, it just depends on the date when it was applied to the car.
It's has little baring on it now though.
It IS possible that they did the BMS update prior to you collecting the car, but I doubt it.
Had they done it, then it should have been explained that a number of charge and balance cycles on a A/C supply would need to be done, to rebalance the pack.
I am fairly sure that some of the members, are fairly close to your location ?.
Folks - Can anybody recommend Frasers in Falkirk in Scotland for checking / applying the necessary, latest BMS update if required by @Wendycar127 please ???.
Has anybody had their BMS checked / applied correctly by them ?.
Thanks.
I know the car was first sold new by them and then brought back to be traded in against an MG 5. I put the deposit down in October. If its not been done do you know if this is covered by the warranty?

I know the car was first sold new by them and then brought back to be traded in against an MG 5. I put the deposit down in October. If its not been done do you know if this is covered by the warranty?
Yes - Simply because your ability to charge the car to 100% but are then unable to achieve anything close to the documented range figures for the car, then it is not fit for purpose.
We are just speculating here at the moment, carry out your checks first before you make any further moves towards the dealer.
I am not aware of anybody being asked to stand the cost of the BMS update, all done under warranty.
Some people who have been BADLY affected by range loss etc have been offered their next service FOC.
It is general knowledge that there will be a number of original ZS EV's still out there, that are affected by the buggy software, that the low usage owners have no idea that there is a problem with the car.
Remember - Not every car is affected !.
Here is a link that will explain in detail, how and when SOME cars where affected.
Scroll a little way down the page.
This will help you understand what MAYBE going on.
Hope this helps.

@Lovemyev thanks for your info. Here my data from today. Much better, still not equalised I got fed up waiting but im happier with this reading.
IMG_20211221_170459.jpg

@Lovemyev thanks for your info. Here my data from today. Much better, still not equalised I got fed up waiting but im happier with this reading. View attachment 6037
Balance when you are able too.
MG recommend that you carry out a balance cycle once a month.
You will find that the balance time will decrease as time goes on.
If you have a home energy monitor, it is a good way to track the charge & balance cycle.
From a lower state of charge, on a 7kw wall box you should be witnessing a demand of around 6.9 - 7.1 kw's on your monitor.
When it reaches around 98% the demand will pull back to 3.5 kw's.
At 100% the car will start the balancing process and the demand on the monitor will drop right back to around 550 watts.
You will know when it close to finishing, when the demand drops to 175 Watts.
Shortly after, the car will automatically shut down the wall box.
My first charge and balance after the BMS update, went on forever !.
It was nearly 11 hours in total.
The car will only try to balance the pack over this maximum time scale and will then fail and basically give up, until the next event.

Hi Just a little update. Still not managed to balance. Ive not got a home charger yet it would appear I'm on a looped supply so unclear how long it will take to be resolved so public ones for me for the foreseeable should be able manage when off work for a few days.
What are people returning on miles/km readings and will this improve once equalising has been achieved regularly or is this simply down to driving style/weather etc. Im currently sitting at 2.4
Thanks again.

Hi Just a little update. Still not managed to balance. Ive not got a home charger yet it would appear I'm on a looped supply so unclear how long it will take to be resolved so public ones for me for the foreseeable should be able manage when off work for a few days.
What are people returning on miles/km readings and will this improve once equalising has been achieved regularly or is this simply down to driving style/weather etc. Im currently sitting at 2.4
Thanks again.
Use the granny charger, that will balance just nicely and it won't take any longer to complete the balancing phase than a 7kw charger.

Use the granny charger, that will balance just nicely and it won't take any longer to complete the balancing phase than a 7kw charger.
I agree, use the provided Granny unit to charge & balance your car on a standard 13 Amp wall socket, until the DNO can sort out your looped supply.
Or as @Ozzie1989 suggests, grab a charge publicly, then plug in the Granny when you get home to help balance the pack.
The M/kWh consumption you are seeing is purely based on an average / prediction of what it expects to see you return based on a historical basis.
Cold weather, high usage of electrical equipment like the HVAC etc is going to see you return low figures.
You will see something completely different when the warmer weather returns.
EV’s are like us, they don’t like the cold 🥶!.
You COULD almost double that figure in the high of summer.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom