VOTE TESLA SUPERCHARGES with MG5

Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Here what I was trying to do above but obviously got it wrong

Tesla Supercharger MG5
It appears there is a lot of confusion about the ability for the MG5 LR to have an update installed to enable the vehicle to be charged on open to all Tesla superchargers so I thought it might be good to to have the ballot below on the situation as it stands.
Les.

So what type of vehicle, have you ?
O Face lifted
O Non Face lift. LR.
O Non face lift. SR.
Year of vehicle.
O 20-21
O 22-23
O. 23-24

As your vehicle been Updated to enable Tesla Superchargers that are open to makes and
Does it now work on Tesla units. ?
O Yes
O No
O Not tried
O Were you asked to or did you pay for this update to be installed. ?
O. Yes
O. No

Have you been refused an update,
or been told no updates for Tesla SC exist for your vehicle by your MG dealership, or they don’t know of one.?
O Yes.
O If you answered yes above have you taken the matter further with MG UK.
O By E-Mail or letter
O Telephone
O Some other means’s maybe trying different dealerships.

Last edited:
I've changed this to a discussion thread Les.
I think the poll system is set up to allow only a single question.

I don't have a SC near me but was hoping to use them on the way to Scotland later in the year. What happens if you haven't got the correct software? Does it brick the car or just not work?
Is there an update for the PFL 2021 SR?

Non Face Lift LR 22 plate . Not tried as nearest Superchargers aren't near me . Told on my last service ( March 2024 ) that no recalls for vehicle i.e. no updates
When I went to try and book mine in for the 'Tesla update' The guy knew about the update and booked me in, but he also said that on the system my car had no outstanding updates showing.
I suspect because mine in pre FL, registered in Jan 22, that that it hasn't been automatically included on the system. The fact that others have had it done on pre FL LR models and that he booked it in hopefully suggests it can/will be done. 🤞

I don't have a SC near me but was hoping to use them on the way to Scotland later in the year. What happens if you haven't got the correct software? Does it brick the car or just not work?
Just doesn't work, according to @Les burrows no update available for the SR.

Here what I was trying to do above but obviously got it wrong

Tesla Supercharger MG5
It appears there is a lot of confusion about the ability for the MG5 LR to have an update installed to enable the vehicle to be charged on open to all Tesla superchargers so I thought it might be good to to have the ballot below on the situation as it stands.
Les.

So what type of vehicle, have you ?
O Face lifted
O Non Face lift. LR.
O Non face lift. SR.
Year of vehicle.
O 20-21
O 22-23
O. 23-24

As your vehicle been Updated to enable Tesla Superchargers that are open to makes and
Does it now work on Tesla units. ?
O Yes
O No
O Not tried
O Were you asked to or did you pay for this update to be installed. ?
O. Yes
O. No

Have you been refused an update,
or been told no updates for Tesla SC exist for your vehicle by your MG dealership, or they don’t know of one.?
O Yes.
O If you answered yes above have you taken the matter further with MG UK.
O By E-Mail or letter
O Telephone
O Some other means’s maybe trying different dealerships.
Good morning Les
. Non facelift LR
. 71 plate
. Not tried on Tesla unit
. Told the car needs a new CCU and update - cost just under £800
. Yet to try other dealer / contact MG.
Because I charge mostly here at home and the car has a fine range adequate for almost all my needs, I’ve never needed nor tried a supercharger - YET.

But if I could have it updated for free I would definitely go ahead. Otherwise £800 buys an awful lot of power and my free bus pass could cover the longer journeys 😀
All the best
Archie

I've changed this to a discussion thread Les.
I think the poll system is set up to allow only a single question.
Ok Alb I’m sorry I messed it you I was trying to establish which cars where creating a issue in the other thread about super charging on Tesla sites you can move the whole thing into that if you like I have no idea how to
Les

Last edited:
Hi Jomarkh
Well I tried both of mine cars a PFL SR nothing happened and no problems
Now on my FL trophy one when I at first tried that one it would not charge but should have I contacted MG UK and Mr Smarts reply was no MG can use Tesla units which I knew was a load of rubbish that’s when I got my dealer and Miles involved and weeks later came back saying there was an update available to sort this out on FL models and PFL LR vehicles and it would be free of charge to owners so mines been done along with several other FL or PFL and they now work I have use them several times now had a few teething problems at first probably my fault but using the wrong card on a V4 but the others using the Tesla App have been no problem they are cheaper than an others out there and fast but remember it’s the car that controls the charging rate not the charger and that goes for all types.
Les

Good morning Les
. Non facelift LR
. 71 plate
. Not tried on Tesla unit
. Told the car needs a new CCU and update - cost just under £800
. Yet to try other dealer / contact MG.
Because I charge mostly here at home and the car has a fine range adequate for almost all my needs, I’ve never needed nor tried a supercharger - YET.

But if I could have it updated for free I would definitely go ahead. Otherwise £800 buys an awful lot of power and my free bus pass could cover the longer journeys 😀
All the best
Archie
Hi Archev this is what I was trying to establish with a vote is it the years 21-22 for the first PFL cars I read your post in the other thread about the £800 your dealer has said so is there some differences I suppose it’s possible
And I agree with your comments above.
Les

It may be useful if someone who’s car is confirmed to work to post FW versions as displayed in the eZS app?

Non-facelift LR 22
Had 2nd service done in March but didn’t see any note of an update or mention of Tesla.
Never tried a Supercharger, how expensive are they?
Can you tell by the software version?

Never tried a Supercharger, how expensive are they?

Cheaper than nearly every other network. Depends on time of use, though. There are usually three price bands over the day. If you use them very regularly then it may be worth joining Tesla for the cheapest rates. If you just use a contactless card, on a casual basis, then it costs a couple of pence more.

Yes they at times considerably cheaper by
30-50p per kWh. But it's not only about cost it’s also about reliability and availability as more open up and my gripe about this issue was the fact MG5 owners where being supplied with a vehicle that was unable to be used on any charging point that is open for public use
Which was wrong.
Les

Last edited by a moderator:
71 plate pre fl LR. Asked about updates at service 1 month ago. Didn’t happen…

Haven’t needed to use Tesla chargers so imagine it wouldn’t work.

72 plate pre facelift long range
Dealer said no update available
Nearest open charger to me is Harrogate, it wouldn't charge and the plug wouldn't release after the failed attempt.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom