Judging from your footage, at least a part of the trip was done uphill, which on EVs drains the battery very fast. Combined with low temperatures, that's not that surprising. If you do the test in reverse, so going downhill, you will see your range increase quite a bit.

Judging from your footage, at least a part of the trip was done uphill, which on EVs drains the battery very fast. Combined with low temperatures, that's not that surprising. If you do the test in reverse, so going downhill, you will see your range increase quite a bit.
Exactly, and the winter tyre rolling resistance is higher…I slowed from 130 to 120 early on the trip to give it a chance…..I’m hoping gravity will get me to a charger then I can record the tyre test 😊

You'll need more than just a bowl of soup to calm the range anxiety nerves.

Hopefully you can freewheel downhill back to a charging point.
That’s the plan 💪🏻 I tried to get a quick charge at 18% but the charger was down…
Still, makes for good content 🤓
I wonder how much the cold has taken overnight 😮

The tyre pressures appeared to be ranging from 272-280. For winter tyres do they recommend the same pressures as normal? This may have contributed to the under-efficiency but more likely to just be the weather & topography. Be interested to see part 2

The tyre pressures appeared to be ranging from 272-280. For winter tyres do they recommend the same pressures as normal? This may have contributed to the under-efficiency but more likely to just be the weather & topography. Be interested to see part 2
The pressures seem to be up and down since I had the winter tyres fitted 🤔 I’m not even sure yet if the indications are for the correct wheel…
Will investigate 🤓

Very true. However, of not much use if you run out of juice on the outbound journey or the nearest charger becomes out of range. This has nearly happened to me when the weather suddenly turned very cold and I had a massive diversion dumped on me because of closed roads, all late at night - barely managed to limp to a charger with my sphincter going like a squirrel's nose.

Very true. However, of not much use if you run out of juice on the outbound journey or the nearest charger becomes out of range. This has nearly happened to me when the weather suddenly turned very cold and I had a massive diversion dumped on me because of closed roads, all late at night - barely managed to limp to a charger with my sphincter going like a squirrel's nose.
There’s quite a bit of buffer on the MG4. Tesla Bjørn had around 28km of buffer even when the GoM and battery percentage showed 0%.

And like with a petrol car, you can run out of juice.

There’s quite a bit of buffer on the MG4. Tesla Bjørn had around 28km of buffer even when the GoM and battery percentage showed 0%.

Oh absolutely! It was a Nissan Leaf and I was -5 miles on the GOM in the freezing cold. My diesel Mercedes tells me when I am on 'Reserve' and that will yield 78-miles of further range; comforting.

The range tests I've seen of the MG4, both battery types, seem to show that the cars can keep going a fair bit longer after 0 miles and 0% show up, so I suspect you'll be good.
Spoiler alert....

I was in fact ok....but learned a few very interesting things on the way 🤓
That's quite a picture you draw 🧐😁

Yes I'm sure that's true but from my experience the other day, if I can only go 17mph max then I don't want to put myself in an awkward position. If I'd stupidly been on anything faster than a 40 zone, it would have caused issues. I'm really happy with the car but not prepared to risk it much under 10% unless like Bjorn I was circling an IKEA car park for ages.

Yes I'm sure that's true but from my experience the other day, if I can only go 17mph max then I don't want to put myself in an awkward position. If I'd stupidly been on anything faster than a 40 zone, it would have caused issues. I'm really happy with the car but not prepared to risk it much under 10% unless like Bjorn I was circling an IKEA car park for ages.
I've been below 10% on many occasions and never had the performance limited 🤔

ID.3 driver here- had 7% and 15 miles of range last week when pretty cold in the evening after work. Car told me that only manoeuvring was possible and so drove the mile and a half home at 4mph.

Got home with 15 miles of range left. 7% left.

Think battery was too cold from being sat all day. Suffice to say that bus drivers and lots of people trying to get home were not best pleased!

I've been below 10% on many occasions and never had the performance limited 🤔
Never said 10% was the cut-off!! This will be my threshold in future. Performance limiting was approx 5%/10miles and again around 3%/5miles. Twice it happened, initially maxed at 26mph when I was in a 40 and then 17mph on a different 40 stretch.

ID.3 driver here- had 7% and 15 miles of range last week when pretty cold in the evening after work. Car told me that only manoeuvring was possible and so drove the mile and a half home at 4mph.

Got home with 15 miles of range left. 7% left.

Think battery was too cold from being sat all day. Suffice to say that bus drivers and lots of people trying to get home were not best pleased!
Quite concerning as you'd hope that 15 miles showing would be ok to find a charger somewhere but the 4mph thing is extreme.

Hmm. I was overtaking someone at 80 when my battery was at 5%, and the car was flying. It was at 4% when I stopped by the charger a couple of miles later. The last mile was in a 20 mph zone so I can't say for sure I wasn't limited, but I wasn't conscious of anything.

The car did ask me, at about 15% I think, whether I wanted to go into power-saving mode, but I knew I didn't have that far to go and said no. The car was absolutely fine for the next 20 miles, as I said overtaking at 80 a couple of miles out of the village. There were some alerts on the dashboard when I stopped at the charger, and I think I heard a plaintive "whew!" from the car at that point, but no loss of power.

I should say though that this happened in summer, in warm weather.

Hmm. I was overtaking someone at 80 when my battery was at 5%, and the car was flying. It was at 4% when I stopped by the charger a couple of miles later. The last mile was in a 20 mph zone so I can't say for sure I wasn't limited, but I wasn't conscious of anything.

The car did ask me, at about 15% I think, whether I wanted to go into power-saving mode, but I knew I didn't have that far to go and said no. The car was absolutely fine for the next 20 miles, as I said overtaking at 80 a couple of miles out of the village. There were some alerts on the dashboard when I stopped at the charger, and I think I heard a plaintive "whew!" from the car at that point, but no loss of power.

Hmm. Maybe the Xpower I'm driving is different then. I can only type what I remember. In over 30k miles of EV driving, it's the 1st time I didn't think I was going to get home or to a charger. I'd have been really annoyed if I was on the receiving end of some road rage due to potentially holding people up due to the speed limitations, but that was the point of testing it.

What's your age got to do with it...? 🧐😬🏃🏼‍♂️💨

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums