gazza487

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I’m slightly paranoid about being safe and noticed an oddity. My type two cable was a bit warm on the supply end and smelt a bit of warm electronics - if you know the smell I mean - at work the other day.

The cable is my main way of charging as my EVSE is untethered - it came with my car, wasn’t new and has some evidence of knocks on it nothing major just dinks in the plastic. I got the dealer to throw it in with the car.

I’ve never noticed it before but then again charging is always long finished before I remove, it wasn’t on this occasion.

I’ve bought another as I want a coiled one but is this usual ?

Edit: the warmth was the plug head end

Last edited:
The cable is passing 32A for hours so will get warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh maybe I’m just a worrier, I get the cable may warm just didn’t like the plug getting warm and smelly.

Either way get me a nice new coiled cable tomorrow

FWIW I use the digital infrared thermometer I use for our pizza oven ( https://www.amazon.es/Lasergrip-Termómetro-Infrarrojo-Temperatura-Iluminación/dp/B01AT9TON0/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid=63016984944&hvadid=601094261913&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9047061&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=15152280822764027304&hvtargid=kwd-377661839273&hydadcr=18613_2271484&keywords=etekcity+800&qid=1707602700&sr=8-1 ) to check my lead and socket on our granny charger. The plug and socket run at 22°C and the cable 23°C when set to 10A (ie pulling 2300W). I set it down to 10A as our wiring is pretty ancient, and here in Spain you elect the max power you can draw - the higher the power the more per kW it costs - so as we have our house supply set to 5.5kW it helps to limit the power the charger uses. Ambient temperature of the wall around 0.5m to 1m away in any direction is 19°C or so.

I got my coiled cable, plugged in and used with the work charger, unplugged whilst charging again and no warmth.

Me thinks the old battered cable was getting long in the tooth. Half tempted to make myself a nice long waterproof V2L with it.

I got my coiled cable, plugged in and used with the work charger, unplugged whilst charging again and no warmth.

Me thinks the old battered cable was getting long in the tooth. Half tempted to make myself a nice long waterproof V2L with it.
It depends on why it was getting warm. If it was the insulation breaking down then the only place for it is in the bin.

It depends on why it was getting warm. If it was the insulation breaking down then the only place for it is in the bin.

Its probably the connection pins not making a good low resistance connection. Only takes a fraction of an ohm to create significant heat at 240V 32 amps.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel