Warning light separate battery query

viking

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Bought my MG5 four months and 3200 miles ago. Very pleased with it, so far

Two questions I hope someone will be able to answer

Firstly, I have a warning light on the dashboard - quite difficult to see. It flashes on and off when travelling above about 20mph. It shows the figure 34 - in white - enclosed in a red circle. Anyone know what this means?

Secondly - thinking in the much longer term, hopefully. Does anyone know whether the new, long-range battery will be compatible with an 'original' short range version of the car when the battery eventually needs replacing? Just a thought

Where is the warning light on the dash. Could you have set the speed warning to 20 ?
I think the battery size is slightly differnt as I think the ride height clearance is greater.

Firstly, I have a warning light on the dashboard - quite difficult to see. It flashes on and off when travelling above about 20mph. It shows the figure 34 - in white - enclosed in a red circle. Anyone know what this means?

Secondly - thinking in the much longer term, hopefully. Does anyone know whether the new, long-range battery will be compatible with an 'original' short range version of the car when the battery eventually needs replacing? Just a thought
Re the battery, they can replace Leaf batteries with larger versions so very possibly on the MG as well. Would need someone to make an adaptor and figure out how to reprogram the car to see it.

Thanks for your prompt reply Jomarkh. The light is on the same horizontal plane as the cruise control icon. It is symetrically opposite the CC Icon and is hidden from my view, due to the steering wheel being in the way, in my normal driving position. Just happened to notice it one day when sitting in a different (from normal) position

With ref: to the battery situation. I'm sure you're right about the ride height. I have recollections of reading somewhere that the overall height of the long range model is 9cm(?) greater. So that'll be the reason - to save the battery from scraping on those confounded speed bumps

Thanks again for your interest in my comments and for your suggestions - appreciated

Re the battery, they can replace Leaf batteries with larger versions so very possibly on the MG as well. Would need someone to make an adaptor and figure out how to reprogram the car to see it.
Yes I saw a 'James & Kate' YouTube video about Cleevely EV motors doing that job on a Leaf, really interesting and probably what started me wondering whether it could be done with the '5'. Thanks for your interest and comments

Have you switched on your overspeed threshold by accident? Use the right or left arrow on the steering wheel and it will bring up a menu with dashboard luminence and overspeed threshold adjustments. Now I'm not sure what that overspeed threshold does as I've left mine off but it's either off or on in 3mph multiples from 18mph up to 66mph or similar. Perhaps you may have it set on 18mph or similar. Just a thought but not sure if it's your answer 🤔🙄

Have a look in your user manual or better still go to MG.co.uk then in to owner which is along the top then look for user manuals and then down load to your computer or pad.

826F0678-06D7-4CCE-A033-6AB2888FF4DC.png

Have you switched on your overspeed threshold by accident? Use the right or left arrow on the steering wheel and it will bring up a menu with dashboard luminence and overspeed threshold adjustments. Now I'm not sure what that overspeed threshold does as I've left mine off but it's either off or on in 3mph multiples from 18mph up to 66mph or similar. Perhaps you may have it set on 18mph or similar. Just a thought but not sure if it's your answer 🤔🙄
Thanks for the help Joe. I'll have a look into that shortly. My wife has just reminded me that my 'technically minded' 2-year-old granddaughter was playing with the knobs on the car a couple of weeks ago. Hmmmm! Big thank you for the suggestions

Thanks for your prompt reply Jomarkh. The light is on the same horizontal plane as the cruise control icon. It is symetrically opposite the CC Icon and is hidden from my view, due to the steering wheel being in the way, in my normal driving position. Just happened to notice it one day when sitting in a different (from normal) position

With ref: to the battery situation. I'm sure you're right about the ride height. I have recollections of reading somewhere that the overall height of the long range model is 9cm(?) greater. So that'll be the reason - to save the battery from scraping on those confounded speed bumps

Thanks again for your interest in my comments and for your suggestions - appreciated
In Section 7 : Technical Data - The Long Range is 9mm higher but has 0.9mm less ground clearance so I’d guess the larger battery pack is essentially 1cm thicker. Also, there is an additional 0.4 litres of battery pack coolant (up from 4.4 litres). None of this might be an issue depending on whether mounting points are compatible. As for software, all depends how much is coded into the car compared values read from the battery itself

In Section 7 : Technical Data - The Long Range is 9mm higher but has 0.9mm less ground clearance so I’d guess the larger battery pack is essentially 1cm thicker. Also, there is an additional 0.4 litres of battery pack coolant (up from 4.4 litres). None of this might be an issue depending on whether mounting points are compatible. As for software, all depends how much is coded into the car compared values read from the battery itself
Thanks for this information Biffo - all good food for thought. Hopefully, any battery replacement requirements will be several years away - but it would be good to know whether it would be possible to upgrade, for the extra 50ish miles, in the event...

Well Done Joe! Ace Diagnostic Technician. Hit the nail on the head. Easy fix with your advice. Thank you for giving up your time to respond to my query. Much appreciated

Have a look in your user manual or better still go to MG.co.uk then in to owner which is along the top then look for user manuals and then down load to your computer or pad.

View attachment 4819
Well Done Jto! Ace Diagnostic Technician. Hit the nail on the head. Easy fix with your advice. Thank you for giving up your time to respond to my query. Much appreciated

Thanks for this link Sharky. What an interesting article. Unimaginable speed for battery swap-outs! Wonder how long before they'll be able to do these on the MG EVs
The thought of battery swapping fills me with horror. I obsessively take good care of my battery (much to the ridicule of the 'charge to full every day' brigade) so as to prevent an arguably miniscule amount of degradation.

Just imagining the effects of hundreds of people abusing a battery before I get it. Or worse still it just being sat around fully charged for weeks. No thanks!

I'll take my chances with public charging. I virtually never have to rapid charge anyway and there are usually plenty of choices when I do.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom