Washing The MG4.

Buster72

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
At the moment the roads are very dirty.
So just out of interest, what do you use when washing the car by hand.
Just plain water or do you use some type of wash and wax ?

I use a Karcher pressure washer (gentle).
  • Spray down the car with the pressure washer
  • Soap the car using a detergent attachment
  • Wipe down the car using a clean sponge, rinsing in a bucket of clean water
  • Rinse the car with a bucket of clean water
  • Spray down the car again with the pressure washer
  • If I can be bothered, dry the car with a chamois/soft cloth

I use a Karcher pressure washer (gentle).
  • Spray down the car with the pressure washer
  • Soap the car using a detergent attachment
  • Wipe down the car using a clean sponge, rinsing in a bucket of clean water
  • Rinse the car with a bucket of clean water
  • Spray down the car again with the pressure washer
  • If I can be bothered, dry the car with a chamois/soft cloth
Thank you.

At the moment the roads are very dirty.
So just out of interest, what do you use when washing the car by hand.
Just plain water or do you use some type of wash and wax ?
Pre wash - snow foam, allow to dwell 5 to 10 mins. Pressure wash thoroughly to remove as much contamination as you can. This is the contactless stage and you want to get as much off as you can before you start contact washing.

Wash - Use two bucket method with a quality wash mit which will help avoid scratches and swirls

Rinse - Pressure wash thoroughly

Dry - Do not recommend chamois, use a quality micro fibre drying towel if you are contact drying

After washing and drying thoroughly it’s a good idea to wax or apply a coating that will make the next wash easier and help protect your paintwork from contamination, damage. This Graphene Spray is my favourite right now.

These are the basic detailing steps, extra steps needed depending on level of contamination eg may need clay bar prep prior to applying protective coating (wax, graphene etc)

A website like The Ultimate Finish is a great place to find the kit you need and would recommend checking out guides on YouTube, example below. How obsessive you want to get is up to you of course, it can become addictive, but you should know the basics.

Last edited:
I found proper car wash buckets with a grit catching 'grill' sat at the bottom were an extortionate cost (£15ish). Grabbed two standard buckets for £3 in total. Doesn't catch the grit but I don't feel like I've been screwed with my pants on. If anyone does know a cheap and proper option please let me know.

Grabbed two standard buckets for £3 in total. Doesn't catch the grit but I don't feel like I've been screwed with my pants on

Enjoy the savings, and the grit. 🤔

I found proper car wash buckets with a grit catching 'grill' sat at the bottom were an extortionate cost (£15ish)

Seems good value to me. I bought my buckets 10 years ago and they will last me my whole car washing life till I can’t do it anymore. 👍

I found proper car wash buckets with a grit catching 'grill' sat at the bottom were an extortionate cost (£15ish). Grabbed two standard buckets for £3 in total. Doesn't catch the grit but I don't feel like I've been screwed with my pants on. If anyone does know a cheap and proper option please let me know.
You can get just the grit guards relatively cheaply (especially after applying the regular discount code savings):

You can get just the grit guards relatively cheaply (especially after applying the regular discount code savings):
Really don't understand why you need grit guards in the buckets, who puts their hands down to the bottom of the bucket anyway 🤷‍♂️

The grit guard baffles produce a calm area at the bottom of he bucket so when you put you sponge/mitt in it doesn't stir up the crud that's sunk to the bottom.
That theory sounds good in my head ;)

I print my own grit guard.

1676013438138.png

The grit guard baffles produce a calm area at the bottom of he bucket so when you put you sponge/mitt in it doesn't stir up the crud that's sunk to the bottom.
That theory sounds good in my head ;)
I get that theory, but I'm still thinking that the top of the grit guard is now the new bottom of the 🪣

I get that theory, but I'm still thinking that the top of the grit guard is now the new bottom of the 🪣
As Ian says, keeps a calm area where most of the grit will collect and stay, also used to rub the wash mitt against to get the grit off your wash mitt. When used with the two bucket method and other good practice it’s very effective.

Two 20 litre buckets with grit guards here and a wash mitt £27.45 Amazon Link - you know it makes sense Rodney.

Good quality snow foam, leave it on for ten minutes, rinse with a high pressure hose or wide spread pressure washer. Then use Demon shine. Don't have to touch the car.

I use a citrus pre wash, then good quality snow foam.
The cars ‘look’ clean, but you only need to run your finger along the paint to see they still really need a contact wash.
I can’t be bothered in the winter though, so I probably do 2-3 non-contact washes before a contact one.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back