Washing The MG4.

I hate washing cars but since it's new thought I would try the Autoglym Polar series. Pre wash, shampoo contact wash and seal all applied using a snow foam lance.

I think with a bit of streamlining of the process I can get it down to less than an hour.

IMG_20230211_131507.jpg

I hate washing cars but since it's new thought I would try the Autoglym Polar series. Pre wash, shampoo contact wash and seal all applied using a snow foam lance.

I think with a bit of streamlining of the process I can get it down to less than an hour.

View attachment 15160
Looking good. Love Autoglym Polar Blast.

It's the right weather for it. Washed my pre MG4 car this morning. Hosed down, did alloys with wheel cleaner spray, washed car with Autoglym shampoo conditioner using a noodle sponge, dried off with waffle towels and dressed the tyres. 30 minutes plus time for a coffee 😁

Whether you use snow, wash n wax or (like me ) good old fashioned washing up liquid, the only thing to remember is to put the wipers into the service position before lifting them off the windscreen, and putting them back on the glass again before you sit on the drivers seat!

Whether you use snow, wash n wax or (like me ) good old fashioned washing up liquid, the only thing to remember is to put the wipers into the service position before lifting them off the windscreen, and putting them back on the glass again before you sit on the drivers seat!

When there’s so much info out there telling you why you shouldn’t use washing up liquid, why on earth would you…?

Hi, check this out.

Just wondering if any one took the option to have there new car coated with the Supagard product. And what they thought of it .?

@Jomarkh don’t waste your money on supagard.
It costs the dealer very little and they don’t allow their guys enough time to apply it properly.
Put the money towards a local detailer applying a ceramic coating instead.
I don’t bother with my of these myself though, I don’t keep cars long and they offer no benefit to me.

Last edited:

I think with a bit of streamlining of the process I can get it down to less than

Looks great , thanks for the tip

@Jomarkh don’t waste your money on supagard.

It costs the dealer very little and they don’t allow their guys enough time to apply it properly.

Put the money towards a local derailed applying a ceramic coating instead.

I don’t bother with my of these myself though, I don’t keek cars long and they offer no benefit toI me.

I agree, not sure what it done , can't see any benefits to it. Needed a clean 6 days after collection. £200 wasted

Pre wash - snow foam, allow to dwell 5 to 10 mins. Pressure wash thoroughly to remove as much contamination as you can. This is the contactless stage and you want to get as much off as you can before you start contact washing.

Wash - Use two bucket method with a quality wash mit which will help avoid scratches and swirls

Rinse - Pressure wash thoroughly

Dry - Do not recommend chamois, use a quality micro fibre drying towel if you are contact drying

After washing and drying thoroughly it’s a good idea to wax or apply a coating that will make the next wash easier and help protect your paintwork from contamination, damage. This Graphene Spray is my favourite right now.

These are the basic detailing steps, extra steps needed depending on level of contamination eg may need clay bar prep prior to applying protective coating (wax, graphene etc)

A website like The Ultimate Finish is a great place to find the kit you need and would recommend checking out guides on YouTube, example below. How obsessive you want to get is up to you of course, it can become addictive, but you should know the basics.

Mirrors my own routine, have had to wash the car every week since getting it at the start of January, roll on summer 😁

Mirrors my own routine, have had to wash the car every week since getting it at the start of January, roll on summer 😁
Just got myself a Vyair Water Filter system. It means I do the final rinse with pure water and don’t need to dry the car at all, no water spots! Can’t wait to try it out in the summer 😝

I have had to wash my orange Trophy every week too. I don't know if its the amount of mud and dirt on the roads this time of year, or the aerodynamics of the MG4, but its getting filthy with just normal driving! The other day I got home and my wife looked at the car and asked if I've been driving off road!

On the plus side, with the temperature now being above 10 degrees, the range is getting much better. Yesterday I had a 100 mile round trip, temp around 11/12 degrees, a mixture of motorway, dual carriageway and town driving, and the miles/kwh was dead on 4, which would equate to a full tank of 250. That's not bad considering its still not that warm.

I have had to wash my orange Trophy every week too. I don't know if its the amount of mud and dirt on the roads this time of year, or the aerodynamics of the MG4, but its getting filthy with just normal driving! The other day I got home and my wife looked at the car and asked if I've been driving off road!

On the plus side, with the temperature now being above 10 degrees, the range is getting much better. Yesterday I had a 100 mile round trip, temp around 11/12 degrees, a mixture of motorway, dual carriageway and town driving, and the miles/kwh was dead on 4, which would equate to a full tank of 250. That's not bad considering its still not that warm.
Mind's in grey either shiny or dull😂

All

Like above, I Jet wash off all the loose bits then "Foam" the car using an Autoglymn product.
Leave for 10 minutes then use a microfiber hand mitt to get off the other dirt.
LEAVE TO DRY NATURALLY then use Autoglymn Ceramic Rapid Spray which makes the car literally look like new.

As for the windows, use the cheapest glass cleaner you can get your hands on, they all do the same!!!

Anyone got any tips for the gloss black areas of the MG4 exterior.
Particularly the back area.
For some context.
Contact wash the car every couple of weeks.
Warm spell over the weekend so I got stuck in. It looks as though the shampoo had dried in with the sun however and has embedded into the black plastic.
Tried various different washes and waxes since. Distilled vinegar didn’t work as Google suggested and I’m just at a loss now.
It’s very difficult to try and capture this in an image but I’ve attached the best I can take.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks All.

Attachments

• IMG_4174.jpeg
    IMG_4174.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 37
With the vinegar, did you try placing a coulple of layers of kitchen towel on the area, soaking in vinegar, covering the same area with a plastic sheet so it doesn't dry out and leaving overnight? That should remove what is probably some limescale.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back