What did I do wrong? What could I do better? ZS EV Rapid Charging

Yeh had a problem with my last posting picture would not load think you have it now strange one this has in other postings you see people saying if you want to use the radio or heater you need to have the car fully switched on when parked or charging to avoid running down the 12 volt battery on my MG5 while charging
You can see the state of charge by opening a door or the tailgate but not the gom
Les
Am I correct in thinking that the 12 volt battery is receiving charge, when the car is charging from a rapid, even if it closed down ?.
This would make sense, because if you needed to use the heat to stay warm in the cabin, in a car park that had no lighting and the car was not fully booted, could you run the risk of flattening the 12 volt battery ??.
Is this why the 12 volt is receiving charge at the same time as a charge I wonder.
Do MG recommend you don’t FULLY boot up the car when charging, but you can have the car in the first press, ancillary mode to see the range increasing as you charge ?.
More questions, sorry 😢!.

Am I correct in thinking that the 12 volt battery is receiving charge, when the car is charging from a rapid, even if it closed down ?.
This would make sense, because if you needed to use the heat to stay warm in the cabin, in a car park that had no lighting and the car was not fully booted, could you run the risk of flattening the 12 volt battery ??.
Is this why the 12 volt is receiving charge at the same time as a charge I wonder.
Do MG recommend you don’t FULLY boot up the car when charging, but you can have the car in the first press, ancillary mode to see the range increasing as you charge ?.
More questions, sorry 😢!.
Hi lovemyEv there’s a thread about this on here somewhere but I think your partly right the 12volt does charge from the HV battery but not directly from a rapid charger I don’t think I may be total wrong I know on mine if I press the on/off button first press yellow lights up and on the second press it’s yellow and green but you have to do this to turn it off makes no sense very confusing at times these EVs
Les

Hi lovemyEv there’s a thread about this on here somewhere but I think your partly right the 12volt does charge from the HV battery but not directly from a rapid charger I don’t think I may be total wrong I know on mine if I press the on/off button first press yellow lights up and on the second press it’s yellow and green but you have to do this to turn it off makes no sense very confusing at times these EVs
Les
My rapid charging experience is very limited as you know @Les burrows .
But I was pretty sure that the 12 volt battery IS getting charged when using either a 7.0kw wall box or the OEM supplied Granny unit to charge the HV battery.
In this video, Tom is reviewing a 12 volt battery monitor he has bought and installed to his ZS EV.
If you advance the video along to about 18.00 minutes in, you will see him test this theory.
You will witness him plugging in the car to his wall box first, then doing the same thing with his OEM supplied Granny lead.
On both occasions, the 12 volt battery IS receiving a charge to itself, when the HV battery is getting charged.
Therefore, you would assume that the 12 volt battery is also receiving a charge while plugged into a rapid then ?????.
Here is the link to his video.

I always have the car fully on if I am in it and rapid charging and then switch off before stopping the charge and pulling the plug. I also only plug in when switched off. Sometimes I have forgotten and pulled the plug with the car on and it says HV disconnected etc but I switch off and on again and seems OK. Think Ive been lucky on those occasions.

My rapid charging experience is very limited as you know @Les burrows .
But I was pretty sure that the 12 volt battery IS getting charged when using either a 7.0kw wall box or the OEM supplied Granny unit to charge the HV battery.
In this video, Tom is reviewing a 12 volt battery monitor he has bought and installed to his ZS EV.
If you advance the video along to about 18.00 minutes in, you will see him test this theory.
You will witness him plugging in the car to his wall box first, then doing the same thing with his OEM supplied Granny lead.
On both occasions, the 12 volt battery IS receiving a charge to itself, when the HV battery is getting charged.
Therefore, you would assume that the 12 volt battery is also receiving a charge while plugged into a rapid then ?????.
Here is the link to his video.

Hi again lovemyev so watched the video you posted I had seen it before a while back and it’s interesting that’s is true, I don’t disagree with what is being said but the question you asked was, is the 12v battery charging when on a rapid I:e 50kw or more we’ll tom doesn’t actually go into that side of it at all, but there is a difference in the fact that the granny and a wall chargers be it ohme,zappi, pod point or what ever else these are slow and fast chargers (not rapids) up to around 7kw and they use AC currant and charge via the invertor fitted in the car where’s the Rapid uses DC currant and charges the HV battery direct without using the invertor, so then I should think the 12v gets its charge if needed from the traction battery while it’s rapid charging just as it would when driving the car or when parked in the ready mode the 12volt is being charged from the main HV traction battery I might be wrong but that’s my understanding of it but you can see from his video how the 12v discharges quickly when you use heaters or other things when your not in the ready setting green light on on the on/switch
Les

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the comments. Car has been fine all week after AA reset. Just nervously charged for second time this time with Instavolt and all went well. Confidence back now. Instavolt first port of call whenever possible in future as it is so straightforward.

Always find Instavolt if you can, can't really go wrong with them. Other top ones which always for me are Osprey, Shell recharge, Alpha Power, Gridserve, the new Electric (Gridserve) Highway ones and GeniePoint. That should give enough choice for most places hopefully.

Now entering my 3rd week of ownership and one long trip under my belt. Instavolt is my go to first charger as it is easy to use and the 4 that I have used so far have not let me down.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom