Bricktop X PWR

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
So,
I have washed my car, by hand, quite a few times since I got it (Sept 23) and I can't say I have ever noticed this.........
20240109_153014.jpg

I only noticed it today when checking for stone chips.
As I looked round it, the active flaps were only just closing and I saw the gap.
On closer inspection I think it might be a sensor of some sort.
Not temperature though, as those are usually hidden.
Any one know for certain what it is?
Much obliged 👍

It's air temperature sensor

Seems an odd place to be, out in the air flow?
They are usually tucked away behind the bumper or in the gap above the wheel arch liner.

Might be why some folk have such a large discrepancy between interior and exterior temps on the app?

Wow ... I've never noticed it either 😂.

I've just washed my car today and I dry all the nooks and crannies with a hot air blaster (via a pet dryer). As I wanted the windows / cabin etc. reasonably warm I left the car switched on and noticed that the vertical flaps kept opening and shutting. I wonder if the blast of hot air from the pet dryer kept hitting this sensor and triggering this ? Can't believe I never saw it though !!!

So,
I have washed my car, by hand, quite a few times since I got it (Sept 23) and I can't say I have ever noticed this.........
View attachment 22782

I only noticed it today when checking for stone chips.
As I looked round it, the active flaps were only just closing and I saw the gap.
On closer inspection I think it might be a sensor of some sort.
Not temperature though, as those are usually hidden.
Any one know for certain what it is?
Much obliged 👍
It’s for nitro injection if you need a slightly swifter car I think.

I have never come across one so exposed before.
They are usually hidden away
My wild guess: it wants to sample the outside air temperature, to compare with bonnet air temperature, to see if opening the grill will make it hotter or colder. Hence its position in the air stream.

Edit: Slightly confirmed by the story of the flaps opening and closing with the hot air blast.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back