What is your opinion on your MG4 for build quality - Good or Bad

We have had our order in since October and I have read many a thread on here and wondered whether we are making the right choice.

Last night, I watched one of the auto trader guys giving a review on one of their Skoda Enyac’s, that they had on a long term loan.
Considering the Skoda is top of the range, so over 50k, they loved it despite some issues.
They listed about 6 issues, which I would consider minor, BUT not for 50 GRAND.
And to top it off the reporter said that all the time they had it, Skoda oils not solve the problem with the infortainment….. which was….. the screen turning itself off while it was being driven and the screen not restarting.
The reporter said that on one occasion he had to disconnect the DC battery and do a reset as such.
They mentioned that all of the infotainment could not be brought back to life, with button pushes and no voice controls.

I was looking at the Cupra Born for myself but their forums have just as many niggly problems as this forum.

One mustn’t forget that the MG4 is the first real affordable family car….. and it will not take too long for MG China / UK to iron out their issues.

So I am hoping that when we take delivery in March we will have an MG4 with no issues, but if we do, it will just get sorted by the dealership.

Niggly problems are one thing, I’ve owned dozens of cars and I don’t think there’s one that hasn’t had ‘something’ that annoyed me.

However….some of the common problems with the 4 can be waaaaaay beyond niggly.

What you going to do if the one you get has the restricted acceleration/speed issue my car has and others have experienced? (So not isolated)

Is there a single example of this on the cupra forum??
Anyone got a car that refuses to go above 63mph?

Last edited:
Niggly problems are one thing, I’ve owned dozens of cars and I don’t think there’s one that hasn’t had ‘something’ that annoyed me.

However….some of the common problems with the 4 are waaaaaay beyond niggly.

What you going to do if the one you get has the restricted acceleration/speed issue my car has and others have experienced? (So not isolated)

I doubt it.
Is there a boot not closing properly issue on the MG4? No, but there is on the Cupra Born.
Not being confrontational, but it doesn't matter which car forum you look on, you'll find it comprises 90% problems and only 10% praises. It's the nature of the beast.

I'm not saying that the issue you have with the restricted acceleration/speed is a non-issue, far from it, I'd be well and truly p' d off if it was my car. I'm just illustrating that it's pointless trying to compare vehicle merit/demerits on opinions expressed on forums.

Is there a boot not closing properly issue on the MG4? No, but there is on the Cupra Born.
Not being confrontational, but it doesn't matter which car forum you look on, you'll find it comprises 90% problems and only 10% praises. It's the nature of the beast.

I'm not saying that the issue you have with the restricted acceleration/speed is a non-issue, far from it, I'd be well and truly p' d off if it was my car. I'm just illustrating that it's pointless trying to compare vehicle merit/demerits on opinions expressed on forums.

I agree, every forum has moans.
However, I’ve said it before, decades of car forums of makes from humdrum to premium, petrol, diesel and electric, I’ve never seen the word ‘rejection’ so much as in this forum.
I swear, some forums I’ve never seen the word mentioned at all.
It’s rife here!
Buyer beware.

However….some of the common problems with the 4 can be waaaaaay beyond niggly.

There are just as many issues on the Cupra born forum as there are here…. And by the sounds of it it relates to the Cupra born AND ID3.

As for the Skoda Enyaq,,, if Skoda cannot even fix it for Autotrader guys ….. is it worth risking OUR lives.

There are just as many issues on the Cupra born forum as there are here…. And by the sounds of it it relates to the Cupra born AND ID3.

As for the Skoda Enyaq,,, if Skoda cannot even fix it for Autotrader guys ….. is it worth risking OUR lives.

That’s not an answer to my specific question.
Are there any instances of cupra/ID3 owners having restricted performance that several owners have reported here?
Proper serious problems, not niggles.

I’ve no clue what your Enyaq comment means.

Honda mazda landrover vw.
All of these make good and bad cars but this doesn't mean your comment about the MG4 being the best of all of them is actually true.

Maybe you just dont have the feel for what makes a good handling car and a good tyre?
You might prefer the numb feeling of electric power steering because its nice and light but gives no feedback of the road surface?

All of these make good and bad cars but this doesn't mean your comment about the MG4 being the best of all of them is actually true.

Maybe you just dont have the feel for what makes a good handling car and a good tyre?
You might prefer the numb feeling of electric power steering because its nice and light but gives no feedback of the road surface?
I didn't say "the best"
I said "among the best handling non sports cars"
My comments reflect my experiences as an MG4 owner and driver and my experience as a driver and salesman of a number of different types of cars over the years.
I just like the way it drives. It suits my style of driving and the type of drive I do on a daily basis.

Odd that your vast experience hasn't alerted you to the poor quality of tyres, the numb steering feel and the fact that uneven road surfaces really unsettle the car and make it a bit unpredictable?

Odd that your vast experience hasn't alerted you to the poor quality of tyres, the numb steering feel and the fact that uneven road surfaces really unsettle the car and make it a bit unpredictable?
You can compare any car unfavourably to something else.

Does the MG4 handle like an early MX5? No, nothing like as good. (I had one).

But does it handle and ride well compared to many modern vehicles? Absolutely, many modern family cars and particularly SUVs have appalling handling and ride and are like piloting a 1970s van.

It is all about compared to what you are coming from. It isn't trying to be a sports car.

Coming from my Skoda Karoq, the MG4 handles and rides like a dream.

I will be putting better tyres on but may wait until winter.

I really must have the lemon of all lemon MG4's then because i've got a list of faults and issues that need to be fixed (others seem to have the same issues), the tyres are shite and lose traction very easily and the car is not one of the best handling none sports cars.
But as someone stated earlier in this thread, maybe they are all the same and most people are blind to these things, or they are doubling down and are too proud to admit it, or they have financial incentives?

There are people who just sit in cars and simply drive them and all they care about is comfort and super light steering and claim to be experts with vast knowledge because they have done this for many years, then there are people who are passionate drivers, some even race on circuits in their spare time and they like to feel the car and want to know what the road and tyres are doing just through steering feedback, im clearly not one to just sit and drive so i find faults in many cars handling characteristics.
If i had my time again, i would not buy and MG and i doubt i'd even get an EV.
Petrol is going to be available for many years and for the same money i could have bought a much better, more reliable and better built car.

I really must have the lemon of all lemon MG4's then because i've got a list of faults and issues that need to be fixed (others seem to have the same issues), the tyres are sh*te and lose traction very easily and the car is not one of the best handling none sports cars.
You could indeed have a lemon, which would make your experience different to others.
But as someone stated earlier in this thread, maybe they are all the same and most people are blind to these things, or they are doubling down and are too proud to admit it, or they have financial incentives?
I also wonder if some of the people who regret their MG4 purchase are doubling down with their criticism.
There are people who just sit in cars and simply drive them and all they care about is comfort and super light steering and claim to be experts with vast knowledge because they have done this for many years, then there are people who are passionate drivers, some even race on circuits in their spare time and they like to feel the car and want to know what the road and tyres are doing just through steering feedback, im clearly not one to just sit and drive so i find faults in many cars handling characteristics.
There are a handful of people on here who drive their cars hard and go on the track. Clearly anyone like that is not going to be satisfied by the handling or performance of what is a budget EV for the masses. The masses, however, are going to love it.
Petrol is going to be available for many years and for the same money i could have bought a much better, more reliable and better built car.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. You bought the wrong car for you. You've then been unlucky and got something of a lemon to boot. I sympathise and if I were you I'd be deeply frustrated.

However, there are also many happy owners out there. There's no contradiction in that: not everyone wants the same thing and not everyone has the same experience.

im clearly not one to just sit and drive so i find faults in many cars handling characteristics.
I think you answered your own question.

Handling feels very solid to me and I don’t experienced the “numb steering feel” or car being unsettled by uneven surfaces. I did have flat spotted tyres which caused vibration so I replaced, but handling or grip was never an issue for me with the original tyres.

The steering is very light, although I’ve not tried sport mode to see if that heavies it up a bit.
Drive a 5 and the steering is MUCH heavier, even in normal mode. even though the 5 is actually 100kgs lighter.

Page 60 of the Owner's Manual says:

Steering Mode Switching
The electric power steering system provides 3 different steering modes:
1 Normal: provides moderate power assistance.
2 Light: provides a high level of assistance, with a light feel.
3 Heavy: provides low level power assistance, with a heavier feel.
Please select when stationary via the infotainment system, enter the steering mode screen and select the desired mode

Page 60 of the Owner's Manual says:

Steering Mode Switching
The electric power steering system provides 3 different steering modes:
1 Normal: provides moderate power assistance.
2 Light: provides a high level of assistance, with a light feel.
3 Heavy: provides low level power assistance, with a heavier feel.
Please select when stationary via the infotainment system, enter the steering mode screen and select the desired mode

‘Light’ must be like the car is jacked up

I really must have the lemon of all lemon MG4's then because i've got a list of faults and issues that need to be fixed (others seem to have the same issues), the tyres are sh*te and lose traction very easily and the car is not one of the best handling none sports cars.

I'm really sorry that your experience of the car hasn't matched mine.
If I was in your position I think I'd cut my losses and get out of the ownership of this car.
Hopefully you'll be able to find something that you'll be happy with for many years.

I think you will find that most folks on here are expressing how THEY feel the car drives for THEM. I can count on one hand the number of forum users I see here that claim to be motoring experts.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back