What tyre pressures are everyone running?

Hi, my preassure is 2.9 (@ 10°)- using 4-Season Tires. Right now - 4° outside - the preassure is 2.8

Higher preassure= better Economy but less Grip

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230110-063453.png
    Screenshot_20230110-063453.png
    529.3 KB · Views: 179
I've had my Trophy since November and I think the tyre pressures have always been a bit on the low side. I was waiting until the weather settled down to see if the pressures then settled down too.

For the first month the pressures were all at 2.4 or 2.5. We then had that cold/snowy spell in December, and throughout this I was getting constant TPMS warnings, but the pressures were still 2.4/2.5. When the snow finally cleared, and I'd done a couple of reasonable drives in the car, I was no longer getting the TPMS warnings, and the pressures of all 4 tyres were showing as 2.5. All good I thought.

However, for the last week the pressures are now all showing as 2.4, and that's before, during and after driving. From what I can gather from this forum, 2.4 is a bit low, but not dangerously so. I have not yet inflated them further, as I waiting to see if more driving and higher temperatures increased the pressures again.

I've had my Trophy since November and I think the tyre pressures have always been a bit on the low side. I was waiting until the weather settled down to see if the pressures then settled down too.

For the first month the pressures were all at 2.4 or 2.5. We then had that cold/snowy spell in December, and throughout this I was getting constant TPMS warnings, but the pressures were still 2.4/2.5. When the snow finally cleared, and I'd done a couple of reasonable drives in the car, I was no longer getting the TPMS warnings, and the pressures of all 4 tyres were showing as 2.5. All good I thought.

However, for the last week the pressures are now all showing as 2.4, and that's before, during and after driving. From what I can gather from this forum, 2.4 is a bit low, but not dangerously so. I have not yet inflated them further, as I waiting to see if more driving and higher temperatures increased the pressures again.
Running tires on the higher end of recommended pressures will increase range

I dropped pressure in mine and reflated to 37.5 psi (2.6 bar) back when temperatures were similar to now. I did this so that each valve got a "jolt" to try and make sure none of the valves/TPMS sensors were "stuck". :)

37 psi (2.55 bar) normal ... 41 psi (2.82 bar) fully loaded - those are what the manual says.

Higher pressure can improve efficiency, at the expense of grip.

A slight increase in pressure won't cause any problems as pressures fluctuate depending on temperature but be cautious about deviating too much as it can cause uneven tread wear.

I am still waiting on delivery of my 4 so cannot comment on it, but I can comment on Qashqai TPM. I am not sure how it works but it does seem that the external (atmospheric) air pressure can affect the readings, as can tyre temperature. If one side of the car is in sunshine, the tyre pressures seem to rise on that side. (Not surprised by this).

This afternoon a TPMS message to say the rear righthand tyre was low. Checked with my pressure gauge and it was the same as all the others at 35 psi (2.4 bar). Checked the values on the ismart(ish) app. and all were reading 2.4 but the app. also said the rear lefthand was low. Seems like I'm not the only one to get the TPMS message when in fact there is no problem (they have always read 2.4). Do I need to get a software update?

Next day: I've increased to 2.5 (35psi) and messages have gone .... for now!

Last edited:
2.7 all round for myself, I did have a warning when it got to 2.?, but just gave them all a little pressure to the same! - back at the dealers tomorrow (for the recall), now at 4500 miles, but will ask them to do a basic check around.

I am still waiting on delivery of my 4 so cannot comment on it, but I can comment on Qashqai TPM. I am not sure how it works but it does seem that the external (atmospheric) air pressure can affect the readings, as can tyre temperature. If one side of the car is in sunshine, the tyre pressures seem to rise on that side. (Not surprised by this).
Exactly right...heat increases the tyre pressure so the sun has virtually the same effect as driving your car 10 miles or so and discovering the pressure has risen perhaps 2psi.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back