What would be your discussion

Jto

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hello
I am in two minds to buy a MG 4 SE entire model, I have a HS PHEV and after a year wished I gone full EV.
I am in two mind because I like all the features I have on my PHEV leather seats in red, sunroof, heated seats
all round cameras, non likes are the information screen I use the car play all the time, slow charge time.

Now I like the idea of the ISmart no defrosting of the car in the wintertime just set it off before going out, quicker charging time, has all the same MG pilot and driving assistant as the HS, the range is fine for me and batteries chemistry fits my needs as most of the year is to and from work and local driving at the weekend. I do one or two long drive to Norwich and there a Gridserve four court there now.

The trophy is out of my price so I put it to you what would you do?

Depends on the distances you drive but I would go EV

Definitely ev, you will probably not get a better family sized hatchback for the money than the SR 4.
Lots of bargains to be had on other older year-18 month old EV cars now also

Go for it. I did. If you don't need to do more than say 150 miles in a day (other than in exceptional circumstances), then consider the SR model. It's very nicely specced (still moaning about the lack of electrically-folding wing mirrors but that's just me) and it drives like a dream - as all the MG4s do.

I actively dislike the rear spoiler on the Trophy, I didn't want it's satnav and cameras and so on, and I don't want a car that tells me to pay attention to the road. The SE has a great reversing warning system that doesn't distract you with weirdly-proportioned views behind and strange intersecting lines, it just tells you when to go no further.

The SR battery has no cobalt in it and seems to be a lot simpler to manage - none of this "don't charge it to 100% unless you're about to set off on a long journey" stuff, just leave it full whenever you want to. And it has slightly better acceleration from stop. I think it will safely do 100 miles on one charge even thrashing it in freezing conditions with the heater on, and of course a lot more than that under normal circumstances. But that's probably the bottom line worst case.

The only downside to an EV that I can see is that if you make a long journey when you have to recharge away from home, it's going to take longer than simply filling a car up with petrol, and you'll have to do it more often than you'd refuel a car. But if you don't make many journeys like that and you're not pushed for time when you do, what's not to like?

I'm assuming you have the potential to charge at home, you don't live in a flat or a mid-terrace house with no off-street parking or anything, do you?

Go for it. I did. If you don't need to do more than say 150 miles in a day (other than in exceptional circumstances), then consider the SR model. It's very nicely specced (still moaning about the lack of electrically-folding wing mirrors but that's just me) and it drives like a dream - as all the MG4s do.

I actively dislike the rear spoiler on the Trophy, I didn't want it's satnav and cameras and so on, and I don't want a car that tells me to pay attention to the road. The SE has a great reversing warning system that doesn't distract you with weirdly-proportioned views behind and strange intersecting lines, it just tells you when to go no further.

The SR battery has no cobalt in it and seems to be a lot simpler to manage - none of this "don't charge it to 100% unless you're about to set off on a long journey" stuff, just leave it full whenever you want to. And it has slightly better acceleration from stop. I think it will safely do 100 miles on one charge even thrashing it in freezing conditions with the heater on, and of course a lot more than that under normal circumstances. But that's probably the bottom line worst case.

The only downside to an EV that I can see is that if you make a long journey when you have to recharge away from home, it's going to take longer than simply filling a car up with petrol, and you'll have to do it more often than you'd refuel a car. But if you don't make many journeys like that and you're not pushed for time when you do, what's not to like?

I'm assuming you have the potential to charge at home, you don't live in a flat or a mid-terrace house with no off-street parking or anything, do you?
i do have a drive and would charge on the granny charger to top back up every few days. l like the battery as you say easy to look after. The miles I do it would not be cost effective to have a off peak tariff as normal pkwh would jump from 33.98p to 41.98? and standing charge would only drop 1.5p but would miss the roof which I had open today.

I'm not sure about an off-peak tariff for the same reason. Also, it's convenient with the granny charger to be able to charge for longer than an off-peak contract would allow. I think it's only worth it if you have a wall box charger and can pack a lot more into the battery during the cheap period. Then you have to remember to run the washing machine and dishwasher overnight too.

My normal tariff is a hair over 31p per unit and the public charger at the end of my road (five minutes walk away) is only 30p per unit and I can get a pretty fast charge there if I need it - 50% of the battery in the 55 minutes max stay time.

I miss my sunroof too - and my electrically folding wing mirrors, and my heated seats and the fact that my Golf could play an iPod or a CD rather than having to mess around with a USB stick. But this is a new world, and I'm loving the upsides.

Hello
I am in two minds to buy a MG 4 SE entire model, I have a HS PHEV and after a year wished I gone full EV.
I am in two mind because I like all the features I have on my PHEV leather seats in red, sunroof, heated seats
all round cameras, non likes are the information screen I use the car play all the time, slow charge time.

Now I like the idea of the ISmart no defrosting of the car in the wintertime just set it off before going out, quicker charging time, has all the same MG pilot and driving assistant as the HS, the range is fine for me and batteries chemistry fits my needs as most of the year is to and from work and local driving at the weekend. I do one or two long drive to Norwich and there a Gridserve four court there now.

The trophy is out of my price so I put it to you what would you do?
As a first EV owner myself (mg4 trophy) I just love the smooth drive that comes with driving fully electric. I guess the sensation is being in a very fast horizontal lift where you hear no engine noise, no engine vibration and shudders, just pure clean acceleration. Just for that feeling and experience - it all becomes worth it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back