What's the correct method to charge an M4?

GameZone

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Do you normally insert the charger, get green light, then turn off the car? Or do you turn off the car, then insert the charger? Is there a correct method?

I unlock the car and insert cable, lock again and walk off to leave it to charge overnight.Delayed charging on the charger app which has never failed Exact same process when i fast charge away from home.

Using PodPoints chargers at a well-known supermarket, I park the car, connect to the car and then the charger (blue lights), wait till lights go green (free 5 mins), confirm the charge on the app, lock the car and shop. On other chargers I've never needed to lock the car for charging to commence.

I get out, lock the car to shut all the systems down, unlock it and plug the charger in, then lock it again. One or two of the steps might not be necessary, but as it is on Octopus and it starts when I'm asleep between 11-12pm, it always works, so I don't want to try a different way!

From what I understand there's no right or wrong way. I tend to unlock the car, plug in, then lock up. I have read elsewhere on here, though, that some people have experienced issues with CCS chargers so the advice there is to shut down the car via the infotainment system before you plug the charger in, then lock the vehicle once the charge has started.

Like many I have home charged with the car in just about every state. All my CCS charges have been started with the car still in ready mode - just rock up, plug in, start charging, and either sit in car, or lock it up and go for a coffee.

I put the car into safety mode so the hv circuit shuts down. I fit the cables, open the app to which the charger is and I put the number of the charger and that's it, off it goes.

Not true in my single ionity charging at Milton Keynes Coachway. Plugged in, tried my electroverse card but did not work so scanned the QR code and entered my CC details, charging started at 135KW.

Not true in my single ionity charging at Milton Keynes Coachway. Plugged in, tried my electroverse card but did not work so scanned the QR code and entered my CC details, charging started at 135KW.

I think there was some sort of fault at Stafford when I was trying. The thing about initiating payment first came later in an email, and I had my doubts.

I had a similar experience at Skelton Lakes I too had tried the Electroverse card and it didn’t work but I had the foresight to have downloaded the IONITY app beforehand and I went through there and it worked.

A VW ID3 that sneaked into a bay before me even though I had arrived just before them ended up having trouble and she was on the phone to IONITY but I don’t know what procedure she had tried.

I just get out of the car, leave it unlocked, plug in the charger, start charge, then do whatever I like - sit back in the car or lock it and get refreshments (depends on how long it is charging). I never shut down the car.

Does it start charging right away with the car on and unlocked, or do you have to wait a while for the lights to turn from blue to green?

Stays pretty much straight away for me, depends on the charger, but it could be up to a 20 seconds in my (not that extensive) experience to date.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back