What's the lowest you've ever let your battery get to, and were you worried?

AnMgZsUser

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
First time today I've let it go under 20%. At 17% it gave me the equivalent of a fuel light. I don't know how much I trust the "remaining miles" counter to see if I can drive it to work (where there are cheap chargers) vs. stick some in at home... It's certainly not given me the number of miles it through it would between 50% and 15%...

A 28kWh Ioniq, down to 3%, and 64kWh Kona down to 9%.

Both times I knew I would get home and had chargers on route available if I needed them. The Hyundai Guess-o-meters are very reliable.

I've only had the ZS LR 4 days so haven't had chance to test the accuracy of the GOM.

Post BMSgate and with the corrected BMS thereafter, I’ve run the car down to minus 1 on the driveway.

The launch ZS by the way gives the battery light at 25%, flashing at 10% and —- as it dips below 10 miles. Running in Eco usually gives an accurate mileage figure.

First time today I've let it go under 20%. At 17% it gave me the equivalent of a fuel light. I don't know how much I trust the "remaining miles" counter to see if I can drive it to work (where there are cheap chargers) vs. stick some in at home... It's certainly not given me the number of miles it through it would between 50% and 15%...
I did let mine go down to 16% before I bottled it 😂

I put it on charge this morning and it took an age to get back to 100% but well worth the 226 miles I got from the 84% battery use.

I can't say it enough..... I ❤️ my MG Electric ⚡

The great thing with an EV is that over a period of time you really get to know how your car performs under different conditions.

One of my earlier EVs had an advertised range of 292 miles. I took it to 300 miles on two occasions, each showing 0% SOC as I pulled up onto the drive.

I've had the ZS EV LR down to 5% as I arrived on a Rapid Charger. Not even a flicker of worry 😀

Once i had the ZS EV LR down to 8%

I knew that it would be around 10% upon arrival and that they had a destination charger so it was put on to that as soon as i arrived.

4% on the way back from Liverpool :eek:
20220911_015002-jpg.10868

I have frequently gone under 5 miles, after which on the Gen 1 the range is replaced with a dash (it's sometimes 10, not sure why). This is partly due to the availability of fast chargers near where I live. The council have put 100s in lamposts within a mile of my house. But also, using Google maps I know exactly how many miles home.

The good thing about the GOM is the percentage error gets less and less as you lose range (that's just maths really), so under 10miles, driving carefully you know that you have at least 10, and maybe more if you drive with lots of regen. You will know if you're getting really low as the car wont go past a certain speed - I've never got that low, but check out some videos on youTube of people deliberately running EVs to zero to see what happens.

Nick

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom