What's Your 100% Driving Range Versus Official Figures?

CarbonEV

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Whats your cars 100% driving range based on current conditions and your own driving range?

Maximum Combined Claimed Mileage:

Standard Range = 218 Miles / 350 km
SE Long Range = 281 Miles / 450 km
Trophy Long Rane = 270 Miles / 435 km
Extended Range = 323 Miles / 520 km
XPOWER = 239 Miles / 385 km

I have the XPOWER and based on the current conditions & my driving style, a 100% Charge claims I can do 217 Miles.

This is 90.8% or so of the claimed combined mileage, which, given its now colder weather, is acceptable to me personally.

I would be interested to see if anyone can get close to their Combined Claimed Mileage & what your thoughts are if you're happy or unhappy with what you're getting?

I have the Standard Range in Australia (Excite 51) and have done over 2,000 km of mostly urban and rural driving with weekly longer trips (50 to 100 km) on motorway at 100-110 km/h using mix of Eco and Normal with OPD. It's been mostly ideal temperature around 25° and only occasional HVAC use so one would expect pretty good figures.

But even I'm surprised that my accumulated consumption is 13 kWh/100km (4.8 m/kWh) with a consistent claimed range of 400 km, well over the WLTP of 350 km. I'm yet to do any really long trips at consistent motorway speeds and would expect closer to 300 km range for that but definitely for my usual mix of driving I'm beating the WLTP range by 14%. Very satisfied.

My new trophy LR at 100% is 219 miles in current conditions but I do drive it like I stole it. It jumps up by about 15-20 miles if I switch to eco but it's no fun in that mode.

My Trophy LR did 250 miles real world in the Summer, GOM said 290 and it's now doing 140 miles real world with the heater on, Gom saying 240.
This is all short, 3 mile each way, urban trips every day and driving as economically as I can.

My Xpower when bought in Sept (warmer weather) was managing around 200 miles on long journeys. It is now down to around 170 miles but they were both with a lot of 70mph cruising.

As a rule of thumb I use two thirds of the WLTM range for ordinary Winter use = 159 miles for the Xpower when it gets cold. This worked well on a previous Zoe as a guide but still needed economical driving and less than 60mph cruising.

I have the Standard Range in Australia (Excite 51) and have done over 2,000 km of mostly urban and rural driving with weekly longer trips (50 to 100 km) on motorway at 100-110 km/h using mix of Eco and Normal with OPD. It's been mostly ideal temperature around 25° and only occasional HVAC use so one would expect pretty good figures.

But even I'm surprised that my accumulated consumption is 13 kWh/100km (4.8 m/kWh) with a consistent claimed range of 400 km, well over the WLTP of 350 km. I'm yet to do any really long trips at consistent motorway speeds and would expect closer to 300 km range for that but definitely for my usual mix of driving I'm beating the WLTP range by 14%. Very satisfied.

You must be driving like Miss Daisy. I don't think I've ever seen more than 4 miles/KWh on any trip. In summer I occasionally saw 100% range estimates of about 220 miles, but more often it was a bit less than 200. Right now I'm seeing 169 miles, and I saw 150 miles a couple of weeks ago.

All I can say in my defence, m'Lud, is that it's bloody cold.

4.8 ??

Wow, that’s the dream 😄

I’d be happy with 4 !

I ignore the GOM and instead prefer to adapt my driving to suit the distance I need to drive whilst knowing roughly what efficiency I'll get.

In summer I could guarantee 4.5 m/kWh. In winter I would choose 3.8 m/kWh as a maximum.

If the required economy is less than that I can crank up the heating, or drive faster.

Currently I'm getting 2.3 m/kWh as its mostly short trips with the heater blasting. I've gone from using 3%/day to 6%.

As of today this is my range... I'm very happy with the range even when it's cold.

Attachments

• 20231118_164938.jpg
    20231118_164938.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 88
4.0 mpkwh last 50 miles.

Car "suggests" 237miles of range available as of 3rd November.
(taken with a pinch of salt)

2600 miles in, and only ever fast charged the car (Tesla Superchargers)

Charging once a week at 36ppkwh.

Usually under 20% when I charge.

I only ever charge to the max.
Usually stops at 96-97%
I do this because by the time I get home it's circa 80%
(I can't or won't spare the horses)

It's yet to ask for a balance charge.

I use 10% per day to charge up my battery bank at home, now the suns buggered off for a few months, if cloudy or rainy. (off grid solar)

I am pretty sure that If I could do 60mph straight for nearly four hours, with no stopping, it might get somewhere near the GOM. Nice and warm, flat road, aircon off???

I will never be able to follow all "The Recommendations" for battery health and thankfully don't lose any sleep over it.

Most of my trips are relatively short, so I can drive it just how I want without flapping about the range.

My longest trip is to the Mother In Laws, (MILS) at 239 miles, which I can do easily at the speed I want as I have Tesla Superchargers at Celtic Manor Newport. (97 miles from home)
I just make sure I've at least 120-130 miles in the car before I set off.
Done the trip twice since I've owned the car and it was very close to the GOM with 20-25 miles remaining (70mph eco mode)
Considering the performance on offer I am delighted with this and the running costs are much lower than the last ICE vehicle I had. (Mercedes GLC)
20231103_120952.jpg

Last edited:
Being regional/rural Australia, most of our km are on the 100-110km/h highway where 17 - 17.5 kWh/100km (3.55-3.65 miles/kWh) is typical, giving a range of 355-365 km (220-227 miles) from our Essence 64. Aircon pretty much always on and I just leave it in normal drive mode mostly.

I consider 250-300 km to be the highway range to plan a charge by then so that leaves a 50-100 km buffer.

In current temperatures (10-15C), my Trophy will do 215 miles if I drive it gently with ECO everything on, or around 180 if I drive it the way I like to in Sport/Adaptive.

There are an awful lot of hills around me, which cuts the range about 10-15% over someone (say) living in the flatlands of East Anglia.

In current temperatures (10-15C), my Trophy will do 215 miles if I drive it gently with ECO everything on, or around 180 if I drive it the way I like to in Sport/Adaptive.

There are an awful lot of hills around me, which cuts the range about 10-15% over someone (say) living in the flatlands of East Anglia.
My trophy in east anglia gets around 235 on a full charge taking it easy so i would say you are spot on. (y)

My SE Sr is doing 2.5 to 2.8 at the moment. The colder temperatures have reduced mine for sure. Question is, do you heat the bat pack before going out or while you're driving?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back