• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

What's your fuel economy

Wish we got the app over here, god knows why we don't apparently the hardware isn't even fitted.

The quoted 32 miles EV range is pretty accurate.

I did a 100 miles round trip on the motorway and in hybrid mode, both ICE and electric motors work in tandem. Even doing 60-70mph on the motorway, occasionally the car will switch to full EV.

On a different trip to the next town 12 miles away on full EV mode. Country lanes and 30 mph town driving. Fully charged and after 12 miles, electric range left indicated 21 miles. The consumption was 32.8kWh/100km (1.89 miles/kWh).
Hi Sky I don't think my car in hybrid at 60-70 mph has ever changed over to ev mode , I didn't think it worked that way , but I'm no expert I will have to see next time I'm doing that speed.
Just a minor thing , you are doing yourself out of how many miles per kwh you are doing. On your display ( like mine ) it shows 32.8 kWh/100 miles ( not per 100km) , so that equates to 3.04 miles / kWh.
So in theory if we have 13kWh of battery for use , 13 x 3 = 39 miles range. So that's the range you could obtain driving as you did.
Mine only ever shows 32 miles , but recently I did 36 miles before the ICE kicked in , and that was driving mostly on fast roads

Jem

Your are right, it is per 100 miles rather than km. Mine also only shows at 32 miles when fully charged. I had the car diagram on the display and whilst doing motorway speed I did notice it switched to only running on battery a couple of times. It didn’t last very long though before the engine started again. I have to say whilst in auto/hybrid mode out of the 100 motorway miles it only used a handful of EV miles.

Attachments

• 5D0E0330-9DD9-4089-A28D-69931D36123B.jpeg
    5D0E0330-9DD9-4089-A28D-69931D36123B.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 184
I decided to do my maths, even though I still haven't need to put any fuel in the car yet :ROFLMAO:

I have averaged 165MPG on petrol and 26.5kwh/mile

But ofcourse these are both used together, so I worked out the cost per mile.

On Petrol is 3.56p/mile and Electric 4.77p/mile (Yes I know I'm paying too much for electric but that's another story for another day)

I reckon this gives me a combined cost of 8.33p/mile. Which if you work out as miles per gallon based on current petrol price, is 70.5MPG

I reckon that's slightly better that the 30MPG I get in the Discovery :)

From memory the Leaf gets 3.7mile/kwh, which using the same math works out at about 120mpg equivalent.

That probably amounts to the same thing, I have about 6miles of single carriageway, before I hit dual carriageway where, on a longer journey I tend to stick in EV on the single, then switch to hybrid, on the dual, and back into the ev, leaving dual. Interestingly you could also have got another 10miles or so on EV with a full charge, which would have improved your figures further.

When I'm going to my parents, who also have an EV charging point, I leave it EV all the way, do the last 2 miles on petrol, and charge up at theirs, and do the same on my return :) I usually stay for more than 3/4 hrs so works quite well, even if I have to boot their car off their charger 🤣

:ROFLMAO:

Hopefully, I can think the same one day.
Yes and me lol

I disagree, even with a flat battery, you get regen braking, and a boost from the motor. In stop start traffic my battery stays low once I've drained it, but over longer runs I tend to build a little charge which I can then use in EV Mode, reducing my petrol usage by a couple of miles.

All this after 3 days of usage 😁

Didn't really get chance to charge at my parents today. So did the round trip 64miles approx), on one charge. Drove there on EV as usual doing the last couple of miles on petrol, but obviously then on my way back it was nearly entirely petrol. However after 25 miles, I had regained 11% of charge, and went back into EV mode, should have done it sooner got home with 4% left :cool:

Another interesting thing, in Hybrid, with 0% battery, I stopped at the chippie on the way to my parents. Missus was in the car, so left it "On" but in park, with the AC running. The petrol engine stayed running while I picked up tea, however as soon as I put it into park, it cut the engine and drove off through the village on electric, ofcourse as soon as I got over 26mph coming out the village it started the engine again.

Didn't really get chance to charge at my parents today. So did the round trip 64miles approx), on one charge. Drove there on EV as usual doing the last couple of miles on petrol, but obviously then on my way back it was nearly entirely petrol. However after 25 miles, I had regained 11% of charge, and went back into EV mode, should have done it sooner got home with 4% left :cool:

Another interesting thing, in Hybrid, with 0% battery, I stopped at the chippie on the way to my parents. Missus was in the car, so left it "On" but in park, with the AC running. The petrol engine stayed running while I picked up tea, however as soon as I put it into park, it cut the engine and drove off through the village on electric, ofcourse as soon as I got over 26mph coming out the village it started the engine again.
wow 11 miles after 25 miles driving seems high( or is that just me?? as I only saw a few miles driving 80 odd miles back from wales) , unless you did a lot of regen braking.
I assume your management mode in AUTO ( not medium or high)

Yes left it in the default auto mode. Mostly dual carriageway A road 60-70, virtually never touch brakes, ease off and regen whenever possible but 11% not 11miles 😉

We all have different ways of working out the economy of our cars.
I decided to look at it from the cost of both petrol and electricity ( as its also a fuel ) for the phev against just petrol for my KIA.
In the end we both came to the same conclusion its cheaper to run the phev than an ICE :) .
I know going forward I will probably loose interest in all these figures (lol) but as its a new toy its nice to see how much I am saving. :) , and we have a great looking and great car to drive.
I had Outlander for 11 months and I kept EV eyes on usage month after month.
We have had the Leaf for 3 years, I know it costs £40 on an average.

My usage is 600 miles a month - with HS I have EV button but it will force me to use petrol at some point (Outlander did 15l every 3 months). Charging is mostly Go Faster.
350 miles, it’s is showing 70+ mpg and 15 kWh / 100m but I know is closer to 3.5-4 m/kWh

Do you think having a full tank of petrol , when only driving in EV mode make much difference?
The reason I ask is I try to only have just over 1 gallon of petrol ( to stop the low petrol warning when turning on) ,when I'm just doing my normal local mileage as I think the extra weight of a full tank may reduce your EV range.
When I need to do a long journey , then it's only a 5 min task to fill up.
What does everyone else do / think

Do you think having a full tank of petrol , when only driving in EV mode make much difference?
The reason I ask is I try to only have just over 1 gallon of petrol ( to stop the low petrol warning when turning on) ,when I'm just doing my normal local mileage as I think the extra weight of a full tank may reduce your EV range.
When I need to do a long journey , then it's only a 5 min task to fill up.
What does everyone else do / think
There is a possibility that when winter arrives....condensation buildup will occur in a gastank when not fill or nearly empty...which will lead to water in your tank....which leads to a trip to the dealer ....just my 2 cents

As it's only £30 to fill (unlike the £100 in the Discovery!!!) I suspect the weight isn't much of an issue, if any. However modern fuel has a lifetime, and it isn't as long as people think. Fuel left for years, can turn to jelly, but after only a few months, it can often make a car run unevenly and even misfire a little. The advantage of leaving a minimal amount in the car is that, when you do a long run, you dilute the aged fuel, and minimise the impact of it.

2 possible Urban Myths/Advertising Triumphs -

Firstly Premium Fuel, doesn't age as quickly so is better in a PHEV

Seceondly, When Outlander Phevs were first introduced, part of the service on vehicle that had very low petrol usage vs electric, was to flush the old petrol out.

I take no responsibility for either of those 2 gems, just internet gossip.

Finally because I have been doing a few more of my 60miles round trips with out charging recently. my pure petrol long term mpg has dropped to 133mpg, and my kwh/100/mile has dropped to 9.3, which to my suprise has meant that the equivalent cost mile has improved to 96mpg from 89mpg. I'm guessing that because I am planning for them, I'm using the engine more effectively and getting better mpg when I do use it.

There is a possibility that when winter arrives....condensation buildup will occur in a gastank when not fill or nearly empty...which will lead to water in your tank....which leads to a trip to the dealer ....just my 2 cents
Given that the tank on the HS is pressurised (So I believe), I would assume that it is also sealed, so any condensation, should in theory be limited to the 30l of air that is in it, from the last use. Maybe that's why they've gone with a pressurised tank, I did wonder why.

Does high octane fuel contain less E10 ? If so I might use that in summer when not travelling long distance

I think in summer keep the tank low / near empty and in winter we will need it anyways as heating will force use of engine.

Outlander used to force addition of 15l every 3 months as it switched the engine on irrespective of your preferences for EV mode or not

Last edited:
I wonder if with the outlander was an improvement they made because of the internet rumour I mentioned.

I wonder if with the outlander was an improvement they made because of the internet rumour I mentioned.
I had early 2017 model. This is the first time I am hearing this rumour. We have discussed 15l every 3 months on Outlander group before and it was never mentioned by another.

Is there an MPG readout on the trip computer of the MG HS PHEV?
The reason I'm asking is that, based on tank-fills, I'm getting about 30 MPG.
This is pitiful enough, but most of the time its driven in EV mode and is frequently fully charged.

The reply from the MG dealer when I raised the matter with them was very uninspiring:
We are sorry to hear you're not happy with your new car.
The average MPG is a split between driving on electric power and using the petrol combustion engine. If you have any more questions regarding your MPG, please contact the team.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom