Wheel bolt conversion Kit

MaoMaoCake

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
For those who arent aware the mg 5 has wheel bolts which is really annoying when you need to change Tyre. The solution? Conversion kits. BMWs do it all the time.

Now heres the kicker I need some help with getting I kit I cant figure out if it's a m14 *1.25 thread or a 1. 5 thread. Any help will be great
Thanks.

Sry for the bad formating I'm on mobile

You can measure thread pitch using a decent steel rule.
Just count the number of threads over a centimetre.
15 or 12.5.

For those who arent aware the mg 5 has wheel bolts which is really annoying when you need to change Tyre. The solution? Conversion kits. BMWs do it all the time.

Now heres the kicker I need some help with getting I kit I cant figure out if it's a m14 *1.25 thread or a 1. 5 thread. Any help will be great
Thanks.

Not sure about the MG5 but the ZS EV is using M14 X 1.5 .
You would expect them to be the same ???.
Just any idea, rather than using a conversion kit, why not consider using a location stud tool ?.
VW supply one of these tools in their spare wheel as standard.
It is a huge help when trying to lift heavy wheels onto hubs that don't have any studs on the hub.
Just thread this stud into one of the hub bolt holes ( at the top ) then hang the wheel off this stud.
Let the wheel swivel on the single stud, then it is simple to align the holes in the wheel and the hub.
Once you have a few of the bolts started, then unscrew the stud and install the final wheel bolt.
They are available in M14 X 1.5 and 1.25 from EBay for about £8.00 ( ish ).

Looks a bit like this !.

VW Wheel Stud. 2021-08-08 at 20.17.00.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have to admit, I have been going to order one of these for myself for absolutely AGES now !.
Thanks for the reminder @MaoMaoCake.
I have finally remembered and just done ordered one.
Yet another bit of kit to add to the car.
The simplest idea's are always the best.
I have a knee replacement and this little helper will make the whole thing possible now.
When I had my previous car, it required a small "Smart Repair" performing on one of the alloys wheels.
I could not perform the job on the car, so the wheel had to be removed first.
Getting the wheel off the car was simple, trying to get back onto the hub, while getting the wheel bolts installed at the same time, proved impossible because of the pain in my knee.
Then in a light bulb moment, I remembered seeing this strange looking tapered / threaded stud in the tool kit a few months earlier and wondered what the hell it was there for ?.
Then the penny suddenly dropped !.
OMG - I had the wheel in place and a wheel bolt started into the hub in a couple of mins.
I had been struggling for almost ten minutes before finding the stud and completely lost my temper, due to my frustration in myself, with my inability to carry out what was a very simple task pre knee replacement only a few years ago.
The stud was the difference between winning and losing, it was as simple as that !.
Even if you are fit and well, do yourself a favour, get one.
I am keeping an eye out for a cheap deal on a good "Bare Unit" half inch drive battery impact gun.
I have plenty of 18 Volt batteries and a couple of chargers.
If I can locate one, I will carry it in the car.
This will aid in a necessary wheel change ( if required ) at the side of the road.
May appear a little over the top for most people, but I need all the help I can get.

Thanks.

What is a conversion kit?
I'm confused as I thought all wheels were fixed on with wheel bolts? Do you mean some just fit with nuts?

So what's the conclusion, anybody measured them yet, M14 x ?
That bolt alignment tool sounds like a nice easy project for my mini lathe. ;)

So what's the conclusion, anybody measured them yet, M14 x ?
That bolt alignment tool sounds like a nice easy project for my mini lathe. ;)
Nice little job to knock out on the lathe !.
I am going for M14 x 1.5 for the ZS EV at least then - Why ?.
Because we already know that VW road wheels bolts are required, IF using a suitable VW rim as a spare wheel.
This is not due of a different thread pitch of the wheel bolts, but because the countersink mating surface of the VW rim, is at a completely different countersink profile to the OEM MG fit rim.
However, the thread pitch is the same because the VW wheel bolts, will thread into the MG hubs just fine.
The size and thread pitch of the road wheels bolts are therefore the same at M14 x 1.5.
I will 100% confirm this, when the alignment wheel / hub stud actually arrives.

Quick update on the spare wheel stud that I sent for.
It arrived this morning and I have removed one of the road wheel bolts and checked it back to back against the stud I purchased.
Yep - My theory was correct, VW and MG are using M14 X 1.5 thread pitch.
The stud is a nice fit into the hub, when one of the bolts is removed.
I would strongly recommend getting one of these studs to aid changing of your wheel !.

Attachments

• 636C8162-72E4-4EF0-A4FE-32893C351E8D.jpeg
    636C8162-72E4-4EF0-A4FE-32893C351E8D.jpeg
    470.8 KB · Views: 142
  • CACC9CE5-E27C-4CEE-A7A6-60A48DE8E1D2.jpeg
    CACC9CE5-E27C-4CEE-A7A6-60A48DE8E1D2.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 141
@Kithmo .
If you intend to knock one up on the lathe, then worth a note.
If you take a look at the stud I purchased, it has a slight tapered section.
This helps align the road wheel and makes locating it, a lot easier than having just a parallel stud.

I had no idea until now that the MG eZS used bolts and didn't have a studded hub. In fact I've only ever seen studs, and I've had 10 cars before the MG (Rover, Vauxhall, Honda, Ford and Nissan).
So I've learned something today, and will buy an alignment tool as it seems like it will make life a lot easier.

I had no idea until now that the MG eZS used bolts and didn't have a studded hub. In fact I've only ever seen studs, and I've had 10 cars before the MG (Rover, Vauxhall, Honda, Ford and Nissan).
So I've learned something today, and will buy an alignment tool as it seems like it will make life a lot easier.
VAG ( VW etc ) have favoured wheel bolts over wheel studs for a long time.
A wheel fitted with bolts over studs, is a lot more difficult to align when the car is sat low to the ground.
Like when you are at the side of the road, with a puncture.
You only have the centre part of the hub to hang / support the weight of the road wheel until you can get one of the wheel bolts aligned / started.
In most cases, the wheel will keep falling off the hub centre all of the time, before you can get one of the bolts started 👎.
This is why the stud comes in handy.
When you are ready to refit the wheel,
screw the stud into a bolt hole in the hub, at the closest 12 o’clock position.
Offer up the road wheel to the stud.
Now you have something to align / support and then take the weight of the road wheel.
Now you can align a couple of the wheel bolts with the hub, without struggling too much.
When you have a four of the bolts started, finally remove the stud and fit the final wheel bolt to the road wheel.
Done !.

@Kithmo .
If you intend to knock one up on the lathe, then worth a note.
If you take a look at the stud I purchased, it has a slight tapered section.
This helps align the road wheel and makes locating it, a lot easier than having just a parallel stud.
I'm still faffing about with metric thread cutting with an imperial lead screw. 🙄
It might be easier to just buy one. 🙁

I'm still faffing about with metric thread cutting with an imperial lead screw. 🙄
It might be easier to just buy one. 🙁
Your probably right !.
I opted to pay a little bit more for the one I got, because I liked the idea of the tapered lead on the shaft and it was stainless over mild steel.
I think it was about £8 with free P&P ??.
You can get a plain basic one in mild steel for around a £5 ???.
Does the same job though !.

Your probably right !.
I opted to pay a little bit more for the one I got, because I liked the idea of the tapered lead on the shaft and it was stainless over mild steel.
I think it was about £8 with free P&P ??.
You can get a plain basic one in mild steel for around a £5 ???.
Does the same job though !.
I've just ordered the stainless one £8.98. (y)

I've just ordered the stainless one £8.98. (y)
Great shout 👍.
Help rarely comes in the form of only spending £8.98 these days my friend !.
Next mission, keeping options and both eye’s open 👀 for a half inch drive, battery impact gun ( bare unit ).
I have ( HAD ) a decent selection of Dewalt 18 volt power tools, but most of them have strangely disappeared to my son’s house, for various DIY projects.
You know the type of situation, you let them out, but they never seem to get returned somehow 🤔.
Items that are on a extended holiday with only a single ticket, rather than a return !.
I still have a charger and a new 2 amp battery, that will do fine for a quick change of a single wheel.
Just waiting for one to come on offer and then I will grab one.
Then straight into the car, before anybody gets any ideas 💡 of borrowing it 🤣 !.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom