When to get home charger fitted ?

Silver estate

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Now I’ve had my finance confirmed on my new EV5 , I was wondering whether I should now get my home charger installed now ?
I’m on Octopuss for my home energy and have new smart meters

I would certainly get a quote for one as they may take a few months to get it fitted but then you might not get the car that quickly 🙄

Preferably before you need it.

If you've made the decision to buy an EV and decided you want/need a home charge point (yes we all know the chargers in the car but it's easier terminology), just get it fitted, prices are trending upwards at a significant rate, lead times are bonkers and with a home charger installation there's all manner of electrical work that may need to be adjusted beforehand, including stuff the DNO may charge for or take forever to do.

Preferably before you need it.

If you've made the decision to buy an EV and decided you want/need a home charge point (yes we all know the chargers in the car but it's easier terminology), just get it fitted, prices are trending upwards at a significant rate, lead times are bonkers and with a home charger installation there's all manner of electrical work that may need to be adjusted beforehand, including stuff the DNO may charge for or take forever to do.
That’s what I’m thinking
the meter and fuse box is t‘other side of the wall to where the charger will be so very short run of cable needed and my smart meter was only installed this year

Fuse rating, looped supply, tail diameter, can all affect what should be the most straightforward install. Took 5 months to get my fuse upgraded.

Mine was installed a few weeks after I got the car but the Granny filled the gap.

I understand @Lguk 's point but would counsel that the market has just undergone a huge change and current costs are unusually/unreasonably high, and likely to drop as capacity increases and the imminent recession bites.

Mine is being fitted on Monday. The only delay was a ten day wait for SSEN to carry out a load test. That was carried out last monday and Octopus called on wednesday to ask if installation would be OK for monday...

Mine is being fitted on Monday. The only delay was a ten day wait for SSEN to carry out a load test. That was carried out last monday and Octopus called on wednesday to ask if installation would be OK for monday...
That’s good to hear

I’d say start the process now. I ordered my MG5 Dec and asked for box at the same time. I’ve been given an Aug date for electric to be unlooped, we already had a smart box. Apparently they need to dig up our street. Just as well I’m still waiting for the car.

I’d say start the process now. I ordered my MG5 Dec and asked for box at the same time. I’ve been given an Aug date for electric to be unlooped, we already had a smart box. Apparently they need to dig up our street. Just as well I’m still waiting for the car.
Already started it tonight with octopuss and now just waiting on them to contact me now

Yes when I ordered my 5 the dealership gave me the number for pod point who they recommended and it took time to be fitted but no issues when fitted and very happy with it was fitted bout 3 weeks before got my 5

There are SO many different factors that can turn make installing a wall box either a piece of cake, or an absolute nightmare !.
This has already covered above.
On a straight forward install, you are talking a couple of hours and your sorted.
But this is not always the case.
I guess it could be said, that if your home is fairly new and the electrics are in great shape, you have an easy cable run from your consumer unit ( fuse box ) and have spare “ways” inside the CU and you have the correctly rated main cut out fuse, then you are in with a good chance of a straight forward install.
But there is the other side of the fence, you live in an older type house, running on older type electrics, you are “Looped” by a shared supply with your grumpy next door neighbour.
The older type fuse board is on the opposite side of the home to where you want the wall box installing.
The service head ( controlled by the DNO ) has only a small size rated cut out fuse fitted.
This is the type of problems that you CAN come across.
This type of issues are NOT going to get rectified overnight.
The guy who installed my wall box, back in 2015 was fairly local to our home address.
He is both a fully qualified commercial and domestic electrician.
He came out to our address and did an appraisal of our suitably for having a wall box installed.
Told us what did and did not needed to be done on the day of the install.
This was extremely helpful and saved him and us a LOtT of what could have been wasted time.
Install in the day was completed in about two hours, this included some electrical bonding improvements needed in the gas and water supply pipe work.
I think you have done the right thing getting the ball rolling.
Scott’s moto - “Always be prepared”.
You have already decided that a wall box is right for you, so get it done I say !.
At some point, you are going to need one in the future anyway !.
I can only see them increasing in price due to demand for EV’s.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom