Which charging cable to expect on MG4 delivery?

airwrks

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hello, new to EV and MG. We've just ordered the MG 4 Trophy.

Just wondering what charging cable we should expect with the car upon delivery?

The sales guy didn't have much of an idea. Googling shows reports of some with granny cable and some with type2 connector?

I think you only get the granny castle with the 13amp plug attached.
Check Amazon before buy the MG cable.
I wouldn't recommend buying a cable from some random Amazon seller.
Stick with sites like:-

EDIT - Some of these sellers do have Amazon stores. I'm warning against the zero-feedback sellers that seem to have pulled their name from a Scrabble bag.

Last edited:
I’m due to pick mine up in a few weeks and it only comes with the granny charger, but I managed to negotiated a free type 2 mg cable ( and free mats)… I did ask for a full tank of petrol ( for those old enough to remember negotiating in the 80s).. I think the young salesmen saw the funny side 😉

I’m due to pick mine up in a few weeks and it only comes with the granny charger, but I managed to negotiated a free type 2 mg cable ( and free mats)… I did ask for a full tank of petrol ( for those old enough to remember negotiating in the 80s).. I think the young salesmen saw the funny side 😉

Good for you getting these added to the deal. I tried, half-heartedly, but since the stars in my eyes were pretty obvious and there isn't another dealer reasonably close by to play one off against the other, the salesman realised he had a sitting duck.

So I let him add the type 2 charger and the floor mats as extras, also that bodywork paint protector. The mats are nice and the paint protector seems to work - my car is parked right on the flight path of a family of starlings raising a family in the eaves of my garage, and the proverbial wiped off very easily with just water and a soft sponge.

He also tried to sell me wheel insurance. Nice try, no cigar.

As long as you are happy with the deal then good for you, I couldn’t get anything off the list price ( I really tried hard, but as the MG4 is such good value for an EV then they have the negotiating upper hand… I did suggest that I may wait for the dual motor as a tactic to drive the price down but he countered with ‘ we can’t guarantee the price won’t rise after the first quarter’… so I just went for the ‘ if you throw in the cable and mats then I’ll buy it now’.. all good fun, don’t think the salesman was expecting to negotiate, especially as I too had the proverbial big grin on my face after the test drive 😁

I think if you were ordering the Trophy you'd have a bit more bargaining power. I was ordering the SE SR and fairly obviously wasn't going to be seriously considering the new model. Also, they knew fine well that I had driven an insurance write-off to the dealership. While I did say that my bashed-up GTI was taxed and MOTed until the end of August so I was prepared to wait, it was obvious that when he said "I have a blue SE SR sitting out back waiting to be prepped, would next Monday suit you?" I was going to agree to virtually anything.

Actually the salesman did endear himself to me. He said, don't take what we'd offer you on that GTI, go back to the insurance company and tell them you've changed your mind and you'll take their full offer to scrap the car. Cry if you have to. (I had thought I couldn't afford to take their offer because I'd be left without a car, but being able to get the MG4 immediately changed everything. He even speeded it up so I got it only five days after my test drive, and that was over the Easter weekend.) The insurance company were prepared to play ball (I didn't even have to cry) and so I got several hundred pounds more than I think I'd have got selling the car myself, and saved the hassle.

I think if you were ordering the Trophy you'd have a bit more bargaining power. I was ordering the SE SR and fairly obviously wasn't going to be seriously considering the new model. Also, they knew fine well that I had driven an insurance write-off to the dealership. While I did say that my bashed-up GTI was taxed and MOTed until the end of August so I was prepared to wait, it was obvious that when he said "I have a blue SE SR sitting out back waiting to be prepped, would next Monday suit you?" I was going to agree to virtually anything.

Actually the salesman did endear himself to me. He said, don't take what we'd offer you on that GTI, go back to the insurance company and tell them you've changed your mind and you'll take their full offer to scrap the car. Cry if you have to. (I had thought I couldn't afford to take their offer because I'd be left without a car, but being able to get the MG4 immediately changed everything. He even speeded it up so I got it only five days after my test drive, and that was over the Easter weekend.) The insurance company were prepared to play ball (I didn't even have to cry) and so I got several hundred pounds more than I think I'd have got selling the car myself, and saved the hassle.
I hope the salesman said ‘suit you sir’ 😂

I'd have been quite surprised if he had. Although I did have a run of waiters addressing me as "sir - oh sorry madam" last year. When I asked what I was doing wrong, one of them said apologetically, "it's the hairstyle, madam". Leaving me little the wiser unless he's used to guys with ponytails clasped back with a gold clip and no male pattern baldness.

I have a new official MG type 2 cable (in the MG bag) that came with my new MG5 that I’m not going to use. I will stick it on the advertising forum but if interested then let me know

I did the same mines a few months away but I negotiated a free type2 cable and got them to guarantee it will come with mats before signing on the dotted line. Get it in writing.

I have a new official MG type 2 cable (in the MG bag) that came with my new MG5 that I’m not going to use. I will stick it on the advertising forum but if interested then let me know
Hi, have you got another type2 lead you can use on fast destination EVSE units?

Hello, new to EV and MG. We've just ordered the MG 4 Trophy.

Just wondering what charging cable we should expect with the car upon delivery?

The sales guy didn't have much of an idea. Googling shows reports of some with granny cable and some with type2 connector?
Good luck with your new MG4. I got a "granny" charger (13A plug to box to Type 2 socket which plugs into the car) + long Type 2 cable to connect wall box or public charger to the car.
All the cars I've seen on sale have had the 2 cables.

I only got the granny cable, but I had absolutely no leverage. The dealer knew fine well I had an insurance write-off sitting in their forecourt, I had visible stars in my eyes, and he had exactly the car I wanted available to collect in five days. I consoled myself by thinking about what good value the list price was anyway.

Hi, have you got another type2 lead you can use on fast destination EVSE units?
I bought a 3 phase cable as my work has installed 3 phase chargers so I can get the maximum charge rate when I work. We had a discussion on another thread that you only need a 3 phase cable if you have access to a higher charging type 2 unit eg 11kw or 22kw as vast majority of public and home type 2 chargers are single phase so you’ll get no difference in charging speeds between the two cables.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 542 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back