Which charging cable to expect on MG4 delivery?

Hello, new to EV and MG. We've just ordered the MG 4 Trophy.

Just wondering what charging cable we should expect with the car upon delivery?

The sales guy didn't have much of an idea. Googling shows reports of some with granny cable and some with type2 connector?
I bought a 3 phase cable as my work has installed 3 phase chargers so I can get the maximum charge rate when I work. We had a discussion on another thread that you only need a 3 phase cable if you have access to a higher charging type 2 unit eg 11kw or 22kw as vast majority of public and home type 2 chargers are single phase so you’ll get no difference in charging speeds between the two cables.
Granny cable came with mine, but it's sitting in its bag in the garage. My work is 90 miles away, and I commute once or twice a week. The company also installed chargers with type two sockets, which I haven't had the need to use. I have the SE LR and have never experienced "charge anxiety" like I did with the Zoe, which caused me to drive around with both "granny" and type-II cables for those just in case moments.

I only got the granny cable, but I had absolutely no leverage. The dealer knew fine well I had an insurance write-off sitting in their forecourt, I had visible stars in my eyes, and he had exactly the car I wanted available to collect in five days. I consoled myself by thinking about what good value the list price was anyway.
I don't think it's the end of the world though because alot of the EV chargers we get installed at home will come with the tether. Also the rapid chargers that i've used come with a cable anyway.

I don't think it's the end of the world though because alot of the EV chargers we get installed at home will come with the tether. Also the rapid chargers that i've used come with a cable anyway.

Oh, I let him sell me the MG cable anyway! Sucker, but I was fine with it.

I parked beside a new type 2 charger just installed opposite my favourite Chinese restaurant the other evening. I didn't need to charge, which was just as well as an ICE car was parked in the actual charging bay, but I did notice that there was no tethered cable.

Oh, I let him sell me the MG cable anyway! Sucker, but I was fine with it.

I parked beside a new type 2 charger just installed opposite my favourite Chinese restaurant the other evening. I didn't need to charge, which was just as well as an ICE car was parked in the actual charging bay, but I did notice that there was no tethered cable.
ahh the dreaded ICE parked in a charging bay!

But then again - i'm assuming your favourite Chinese is within the range of the car to your home so you would rarely if ever, use it (unless it was free to use then why not!)

ahh the dreaded ICE parked in a charging bay!

But then again - i'm assuming your favourite Chinese is within the range of the car to your home so you would rarely if ever, use it (unless it was free to use then why not!)

It's not free (35p per unit), and it's only 9 miles away. It's not one I would be using, I was just curious when I pulled up to park, and saw that four parking bays right across from the restaurant now had charging points. So I took a look. If that location is like that, others might be too.

There were lots of free parking spaces, and actually three of the four charging bays were empty. It just seemed very strange that the ICE car driver had parked there of all places. Perhaps there were no other free spaces when he parked. But this really won't do. I was thinking of printing up a few slips to stick under windscreen wipers. "How would you like it if I parked across the petrol pumps so you couldn't fuel your car?"

I bought a 3 phase cable as my work has installed 3 phase chargers so I can get the maximum charge rate when I work. We had a discussion on another thread that you only need a 3 phase cable if you have access to a higher charging type 2 unit eg 11kw or 22kw as vast majority of public and home type 2 chargers are single phase so you’ll get no difference in charging speeds between the two cables.
I’m sure the ZS EV is 1ph 7.2kw, or 7.4kw 3ph , so no real gain with a 3ph cable.

There were lots of free parking spaces, and actually three of the four charging bays were empty. It just seemed very strange that the ICE car driver had parked there of all places. Perhaps there were no other free spaces when he parked. But this really won't do. I was thinking of printing up a few slips to stick under windscreen wipers. "How would you like it if I parked across the petrol pumps so you couldn't fuel your car?"
You get the same thing happen with Blue Badge bays. Drivers see most of them are empty and think there are still bays available if I use one.

Until a couple more people with blue badges show up...

I once parked in an electric car charging bay without realising it. It was 2018 and it was dark and raining and I'd never seen such a thing before. I just hope nobody needed it in the three hours or so I was in the theatre that night. I've felt guilty about that ever since and absolutely would not do it on purpose.

You can be fined for parking in a blue badge space. Can an ICE car be fined for parking in a charging bay?

I think you can now be fined for parking in council owned charging bays and not charging so yes ICE cars can be fined but also EVs if they are not charging. But it's up to the council so varies area to area.

I know our village charge-point starts fining people who stay on the charger for too long. But that's just automatic as they have your bank details anyway. It would take a parking warden to fine someone who was parked there and not charging, and what are they?

You get the same thing happen with Blue Badge bays. Drivers see most of them are empty and think there are still bays available if I use one.

I get annoyed at people (with no children) parking in the parent and child bays at supermarkets and whatnot.

The fact is when you have kids to strap into car seats you need the doors open a little further than the 12inch gap you get in standard parking spaces.

The very same people would hate it if I had to park in a standard bay next to them and caused a ding with my door because I couldn't get it open enough.

That's another good thing about the 4, the doors open almost 90degrees, making access in the rear really good.

I know our village charge-point starts fining people who stay on the charger for too long. But that's just automatic as they have your bank details anyway. It would take a parking warden to fine someone who was parked there and not charging, and what are they?
Plenty of "blue meanies" here - many people get caught out by them.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 541 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back