White Lines

I've re-calibrated my procedure for setting off in the car. Instead of "get in, put key in ignition, turn key, move off, set temperature and heated seats how I want them (as I pull away)", I stop for less than a minute to make sure all the car's systems are how I want them for the journey. That includes turning off Lane Assist and the speed limit recognition, setting the climate control to how I'm likely to want it, and deciding whether I'm going radio or USB music.

I tend to leave regeneration and driving mode alone, but if I wanted to change these I'd do it at the same time. I've decided it's silly to fret about the time it takes, because it's pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things.
I agree the time is not a problem, it just feel stupid to have to tell the car time and time again how you want to drive it . Would you be as easy about it if it was a child you had to go through such procedures every time it goes to school ?

It's the way of the world. The systems are classed as safety systems so they must default to ON. Cue rant about the Nanny State.
safety through ghost braking and pulling on the wheel while driving ? i'd slap my wife if she'd do that :(

If it's that bad you need to take your car to the dealers and ask them to recalibrate the camera and radar. A couple of owners on Facebook have done that and apparently the car is much better behaved afterwards.
I've had a couple of instances where the car has braked unexpectedly but it was when I was overtaking a parked car and another vehicle was coming in the opposite direction and I went for a gap that was smaller than the car liked.
I leave LKA on and apart from the occasional gentle nudge and a ping for white lines it behaves itself and on country lanes with no white lines it doesn't do anything.

I think it's in the MG Pilot tab, @Rolfe :)

@memg4 if you also see a steering wheel symbol then that means you have TJA selected (rather than ACC) ... this pulls on the steering wheel to (supposedly) keep the car in the middle of the lane, but can be much more aggressive when it makes a mistake re. line detection. You can turn it off (or choose ACC instead) in the same MG Pilot menu.
Has anyone defined all the TLA's (three letter acronyms) that MG use? For someone like me who is new to the car (and indeed to any car with so many bells and whistles) it all a bit baffling - and very annoying. I would love to have a list that I can refer to whether I'm reading posts on this (brilliant) forum or the owners' manual or the infotainment screen in the car. The above post is an example of how tricky it can be - what is TJA? What is ACC?

Thanks, but very frustrating! Still learning about the car… Very complicated! But I do like it, very much, especially the colour – Holborn Blue. Very striking.
I have one in Camden Grey. I originally ordered one in red but the order was delayed and the dealer had blue and grey in stock. A neighbour has just bought one in Holborn Blue and I think I made a mistake.
Incidentally … shouldn’t Holborn be the muted grey and Camden the striking Blue, if the colours bear any correlation with the areas of London from which they take their names?

The blue absolutely rocks - people are always saying to me "what a lovely colour!" But would you and your neighbour having identical cars really have worked?

If it's that bad you need to take your car to the dealers and ask them to recalibrate the camera and radar. A couple of owners on Facebook have done that and apparently the car is much better behaved afterwards.
I've had a couple of instances where the car has braked unexpectedly but it was when I was overtaking a parked car and another vehicle was coming in the opposite direction and I went for a gap that was smaller than the car liked.
I leave LKA on and apart from the occasional gentle nudge and a ping for white lines it behaves itself and on country lanes with no white lines it doesn't do anything.
Thanks for the hint !

You mean the function that tries to keep you in the lane, between the white lines, and twitches the steering wheel? It's called "Lane Assist", often LKA on the forum.

Sit down in the car and wait for the infotainment screen to boot up. Put your foot on the brake and press. This puts the car into Ready mode. Tap on the "car" icon on the infotainment screen. Call up the "MG Pilot" tab . You will see "Lane Assist" there. Turn the bloody thing off! You will get a pop-up asking you to confirm that you really want to do this. (If you don't get that pop-up, it will not actually be turned off.) Tell it you mean it. (You can then turn off the speed limit recognition as well if you want.) The sign that it is off is that the white lines on the driver's screen, in the top left corner, are now yellow.

The wrinkle to remember is that it resets and defaults to "on" every time you sit down in the seat, so every time you do that, you have to go through the routine of turning it off again. It soon becomes second nature.

Some Trophy owners report that it turns itself on again while you are driving, if the infotainment screen switches between light and dark modes (either automatically or manually). This doesn't happen in the SE though so I'm not sure. If yours is doing that, it's best to keep the screen on either light or dark permanently.
Many Thanks for the suggestion, this way does work, but it didn't do it until I took it to the Dealership to have the car serviced, and I've had to adopt your idea ever since.

I'm still new to this and not had my MG4 delivered yet, but last time I had a brief look at the infotainment screen, isn't there an option below LKA on/off with 3 options for Assist Mode (alert/lane departure assist/emergency lane keeping) and also Alert Sensitivity (low/moderate/high) - I'm guessing none of these change the unpredictability and majority of people seem to just advise to turn it off.

I'm still new to this and not had my MG4 delivered yet, but last time I had a brief look at the infotainment screen, isn't there an option below LKA on/off with 3 options for Assist Mode (alert/lane departure assist/emergency lane keeping) and also Alert Sensitivity (low/moderate/high) - I'm guessing none of these change the unpredictability and majority of people seem to just advise to turn it off.
There are, however for most people these reset for every drive so turning the whole thing off is the easier option.

LKA is not a feature any driver ever asked for, it was forced onto us by the safety gods who know what is best for us.

I actually forgot to turn mine off this morning!

I took my bike to the repair shop and parked outside. I didn't lock the car, because the mechanic came out to lift the bike out for me, and then after a bit of a chat about what needed doing we said our farewells and I got back into the car. I forgot that, as I had been out of the car, I needed to cancel LKA again.

I realised a couple of miles later when I saw the right-hand line on the tramway display turn to a broken line. Never seen it do that before. I was on a single-carriageway A road with poor road markings, exactly the sort of road where the thing plays up. I found it quite easy to cancel it while I was driving, but that was in cold blood, when it wasn't actually trying to do anything. I suspect it's not so easy if it has activated and is trying to run you into the hedge.

I turn mine off on to alert only so all I get is a bleep.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 536 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back