Who has been naughty

That big yellow sticker in the back window, would have to come off. 🙂
Anyone got any pity for him/her. 🤔
Absolutely zero.

Not saying I haven't looked at my phone whilst sat at lights but...

A, Mine is in a proper phone mount.

B, I would not be so engrossed in my phone as to not be aware of what is happening around me.

P.S.@salty You and your Avatars 👍🤣
I also noticed your last one.👍

TBH I am less concerned about someone who is using their phone while stationary at the lights (not dissimilar from using infotainment unit or even just looking out the window and day dreaming) as long as they are stationary at the light.
I am more concerned about people who have a handsfree kit and talk on the phone while driving and being completely distracted by the conversation yet appear to be driving with due care and attention.
I won't comment on the above because I don't know enough about the circumstances.

I do use CarPlay and Siri for pretty much anything, so I don't get distracted. I even silence incoming phone calls unless from my kids which means they are urgent and they don't bother calling me unless it's an utter emergency. I even auto reply to texts with "I'm driving, I'll message back later" and I have automations for when I get in the car and connect carplay to remind me to stop after 1 hour driving to take some rest.

So, you're talking to a hands free system and then talk to someone in the car, probably occasionally looking left into the passenger seat which you wouldn't do with hands free.

Passenger communication seems more dangerous than hands free where you can keep looking ahead, no need to turn head at all.

Passenger communication can be just as distracting, sometimes even more.

My ex and I have always ended up disagreeing on this. Wherever I’m in the car, other than light chit chat, I don’t like to have lengthy conversations or talking about things that make me think too much. And being a man unfortunately that means I get labelled as someone who doesn’t listen. To the point if I have to listen and think about something I’ll just slow down.

My ex was the opposite: the more she was talking to someone the faster she would drive or the more distracted she would become, paying more attention to the conversation than the road.

I’ve made several mistakes while driving in all my life granted, but a small fraction compared to most drivers yet it’s not an excuse: being tired or distracted is bad, and should be avoided.

In a way having to stop and recharge the car for a few minutes is a welcome change in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally yes at 10-30mph - yes you can kill someone - but the main issue is drunk / drug driving at higher speeds - which is about 1000x more dangerous. Using your phone is silly, but not found many cases where they have killed someone in a 20/30mph built up area.

Being distracted by using a phone either handheld or hands free is as dangerous as drink driving.

From research done by A comparison of the cell phone driver and the drunk driver - PubMed

When drivers were conversing on either a handheld or hands-free cell phone, their braking reactions were delayed and they were involved in more traffic accidents than when they were not conversing on a cell phone. By contrast, when drivers were intoxicated from ethanol they exhibited a more aggressive driving style, following closer to the vehicle immediately in front of them and applying more force while braking.

Conclusion: When driving conditions and time on task were controlled for, the impairments associated with using a cell phone while driving can be as profound as those associated with driving while drunk.

What about braking reactions when conversing with passengers in the car? I'm sure that would be the same or worse as drivers tend to turn their heads regularly when talking to others in a car, unlike when talking on hands free.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back