Will upgrade all speakers and add a sub

MG4 DK

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I haven't seen any other threads or videos on this so I might be a first. I will upgrade all 6 speakers in my Trophy (Luxury in DK) with Pioneers. I have ordered this:
Pioneer TS-A1600C for front doors and dash tweeters
Pioneer TS-A1670F for rear doors
Pioneer TS-WX130DA - Subwoofer

speakers.PNG

The doors should be easy. Also, the tweeters are going to be simple (see picture). However, connecting the sub might be challenging. I haven't found any instructions on how to get to the head unit in the MG4, so if any of you have tips, I'm all ears.

I will update this thread when I get the speakers and start the install.

tweeter1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you going to put the sub?

Could you fit it in the space below the boot floor, or is there not enough room? Otherwise, maybe in the boot, fixed to the back of the rear seats?

Otherwise it looks very tight under the passenger seat

If the flexible boot floor as at the higher level then that would be feasible. Otherwise there's no space underneath the floor at the bottom position. (Well there is - you could remove the foam padded insert, but then where would you put all that equipment?)

Thanks for sharing, watching this. Although I have an SE, so interested if anyone has figured a way to add speakers in rear doors?

Not possible AFAIK - there's no wiring there for the speakers.
I'd be surprised if the wiring wasn't there for rear speakers at some point along the run otherwise it would mean that the production process would have to factor in the additional cost of a different loom. Would be interesting to know if the infotainment system on the SE has any reference to to the rear speakers in the audio setup menu but perhaps greyed out.

In the SE the Equaliser/Balance control only allows a Forward to Mid bias ... as there are no speakers you can't drag the slider any further back than middle.

And I'm sure I've read somewhere that someone has already looked - no rear speaker wiring in the SE.

Not possible AFAIK - there's no wiring there for the speakers.
Anything is possible, just depends how much you want to throw at it. If there’s no wiring yes it’s not going to be easy as it could be but not impossible.

I have an SE and would like to upgrade what’s there, mind you don’t find it too bad with streamed music but find it a bit tinny with radio oddly.

The car is so well built I can’t even work out now to start stripping door cards off, took me long enough to work out how to get dash cam wiring in 😂

Last edited:
Okay - so I'm working on the system now. First thing is the tweeters because that is by far the easiest. Also interesting to be able to compare the effect of just changing these. And the result is much larger than I expected. Soundstaging, clarity, and vocals is hugely improved with the Pioneers. I will place the new tweeters on top of the plastic grills as this in itself makes a big difference. I acknowledge that it looks less clean but to me, the sound is essential.

tweeter2.jpg

With the new tweeters, 3D sound definitely needs to be turned off - which is anyway a step needed to get more natural sound.

Okay - so I'm working on the system now. First thing is the tweeters because that is by far the easiest. Also interesting to be able to compare the effect of just changing these. And the result is much larger than I expected. Soundstaging, clarity, and vocals is hugely improved with the Pioneers. I will place the new tweeters on top of the plastic grills as this in itself makes a big difference. I acknowledge that it looks less clean but to me, the sound is essential.

View attachment 14644
With the new tweeters, 3D sound definitely needs to be turned off - which is anyway a step needed to get more natural sound.
Watching with interest, surprised the tweeters alone make such an improvement and obviously relatively simple to do.

The door panel really gave me a challenge, but this thread might save others from the trial-and-error work.
Doorpanel.PNG

The first screw was easy but to figure out that I had to pry off the handle and find additional two screws there took a while. Also pulling off the panel itself took a lot of force. Possibly because I didn't manipulate the clips correctly with the prying tool.

It is easy to disconnect the door cable but I ended up hanging the panel on the door to avoid disconnecting the electric cable. If you wanna disconnect the electric cable it might be easiest to take off the panel where the window switches are.

door1.jpg

I took out one of the speakers and you can see it compared to the Pioneer here.
Speakers1.jpg

At this point, I figured out that I needed to buy some adapters as I don't wanna destroy the original speaker. I'm going for these: Autoleads SAK-3103 Speaker Adaptor
adapters.jpg

Can you post some pictures of the final result?
Are those speaker adaptor fitting well?
And what type of connector is MG using on the speakers? Can we install speakers without cutting the wires?
If you install speakers with to much RMS, doesnt that break the radio/amplifier?

Thanks for sharing!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom