Will upgrade all speakers and add a sub

Can you post some pictures of the final result?
Are those speaker adaptor fitting well?
And what type of connector is MG using on the speakers? Can we install speakers without cutting the wires?
If you install speakers with to much RMS, doesnt that break the radio/amplifier?

Thanks for sharing!
It's a work in progress. Now I'm waiting for the adapters to arrive so it will probably be a week before I can update.

Could you describe in more detail how you removed the tweeters? I've tried prying it out with a screwdriver but only got rid of one side. How can this be done as non-destructively as possible?
I also wanted to ask if it would be potentially possible to place the Pioneer in the place of the originals without an adapter or something.

Kind regards Lucas

Also curious if tweeters could be replaced in the OEM holder/grille and would be interested to know what the connectors look like on the main door speakers? Have you gone for a vw specific adapter kit for that reason?

Got too excited at the prospect and so speakers and adapters are ordered 🤣 Hope they fit okay 😂

So a little Update from me. wonder how you got in in the end? I bought the adaptors and a set of vibe component speakers.
I found those adaptors weren’t much good and I ended up installing them with 3M VHB tape as a temporary measure until I can find ones that are a better fit.
Whilst I’ve got a bit more bass now (and a rattle to the drivers door I need to sort 😂) and the tweeters give a lot more clarity I found the system still to have far too much treble. I tried putting the original tweeters back in hoping maybe the bass would drown them out a bit but no such luck and still too much treble in my opinion so not really sure what to do next. Thinking of getting some of those foam speaker surrounds as it seems to be the drivers speaker is vibrating against the plastic of the door card. No expert at these things.

Maybe it’s worth this being moved to the new upgrade section.

Also curious if tweeters could be replaced in the OEM holder/grille and would be interested to know what the connectors look like on the main door speakers? Have you gone for a vw specific adapter kit for that reason?

Got too excited at the prospect and so speakers and adapters are ordered 🤣 Hope they fit okay 😂

So a little Update from me. wonder how you got in in the end? I bought the adaptors and a set of vibe component speakers.
I found those adaptors weren’t much good and I ended up installing them with 3M VHB tape as a temporary measure until I can find ones that are a better fit.
Whilst I’ve got a bit more bass now (and a rattle to the drivers door I need to sort 😂) and the tweeters give a lot more clarity I found the system still to have far too much treble. I tried putting the original tweeters back in hoping maybe the bass would drown them out a bit but no such luck and still too much treble in my opinion so not really sure what to do next. Thinking of getting some of those foam speaker surrounds as it seems to be the drivers speaker is vibrating against the plastic of the door card. No expert at these things.

Maybe it’s worth this being moved to the new upgrade section.
Make sure the positive and negative terminals are correct for the mids and tweeters, have you found the sound settings as there are some tweaks there and a sound equaliser. The original speakers are tuned to the head unit and usually you get better sound when upgrading the speakers by switching off all the sound enhancements and using the equaliser to fine tune.

Make sure the positive and negative terminals are correct for the mids and tweeters, have you found the sound settings as there are some tweaks there and a sound equaliser. The original speakers are tuned to the head unit and usually you get better sound when upgrading the speakers by switching off all the sound enhancements and using the equaliser to fine tune.
Unfortunately the wiring colours don’t give much clue as to which is which.
The EQ I will have a play with. I’m on an SE SR car so there’s no 3D sound to turn off, just loudness and the EQ settings.

Attached is a picture of the left passenger side speaker connector. The colours match what the tweeter has but which is positive and negative I’m none the wiser. The colours then for the driver side are different again.
95DB004E-2A04-4A1F-8B46-DE3893856522.jpeg

Unfortunately the wiring colours don’t give much clue as to which is which.
The EQ I will have a play with. I’m on an SE SR car so there’s no 3D sound to turn off, just loudness and the EQ settings.

Attached is a picture of the left passenger side speaker connector. The colours match what the tweeter has but which is positive and negative I’m none the wiser. The colours then for the driver side are different again.
View attachment 14859
It is a bit awkward to test, if the negative is wired to the positive on the speaker the speaker cone will fire inward first, positive to positive will fire outward. It shouldn’t make a difference to sound if wired incorrectly but sometimes with multiple speaker set ups it can reduce the power output of the speakers.
Using a volt meter can help too if you have one handy. See link
This may be useful

Last edited:
Could you describe in more detail how you removed the tweeters? I've tried prying it out with a screwdriver but only got rid of one side. How can this be done as non-destructively as possible?
I also wanted to ask if it would be potentially possible to place the Pioneer in the place of the originals without an adapter or something.

Kind regards Lucas
You should get some plastic tools like those on the picture. Then you just need to find the workable edge.
tools.png

You can place the Pioneer tweeters where the originals are. You just need to find a way to fixate them. Look at this MG5 thread: Upgrading the audio system (lots of pictures)

The adapters I bought was a mistake. They could be fitted on top of the adapters supplied with the Pioneers but that made the whole thing to deep. Instead of buying new adapters I took of 15 mm. This should give me perfect height and fit (I will install later today).

deepspeaker.png

Too thick. On polarity: green is negative and should go to the narrow connector on the speaker. Similarly, brown should be negative in AlunJ's previous post.
adapters1.png

adapters2.png

adapters3.png

Cut 15 mm of the Amazon adapter. Connected the two adapters with screws. Added some Tesa foam tape before mounting the speaker. Will install later today.

Armed with some supplies of foam tape and foil tape from b&q and some foil insulation I had lying around the garage I’ve attacked the drivers door which is now much improved. Just the passenger side to do now 😂

Playing with the EQ has much improved the sound and I’m a lot happier.

Added some sound dampening material to the door (20x26 cm).
dampening.png

installed.png

Speaker installed! It's not pretty but it's all gonna be hidden anyway. The speakers will need some run-in time, but the bass is so much more controlled and natural now. Overall a huge improvement in sound quality. For me, the best EQ-setting is currently Off or Auto. 3D and Virtual Sub must be off.

Moving on to the rear door speakers now.

Added some sound dampening material to the door (20x26 cm).
View attachment 14883

View attachment 14884
Speaker installed! It's not pretty but it's all gonna be hidden anyway. The speakers will need some run-in time, but the bass is so much more controlled and natural now. Overall a huge improvement in sound quality. For me, the best EQ-setting is currently Off or Auto. 3D and Virtual Sub must be off.

Moving on to the rear door speakers now.
I used a similar foam tape on the speaker face. Much improved now and I can enjoy my trance tunes again 😂 Rear speakers will be the next problem with no wiring in place on the SE 🤣

Done with rear speakers. For the rear door, you have to take off the panels completely. This is done by prying off the glossy panel with the windows switch and disconnecting the connector and the cable mount.
rear-connector.png

rear-door.png

Rear speaker mounted. Next thing is to connect the subwoofer but I will probably let that rest for a few weeks.

Did you use the existing wiring for the new tweeters or add a passive crossover?
On the old tweeters, the capacitor/crossover is soldered onto the tweeter. On the new one it is bit down the supplied wire, so essentially, it is just about using the same wires. See post #14.

On the old tweeters, the capacitor/crossover is soldered onto the tweeter. On the new one it is bit down the supplied wire, so essentially, it is just about using the same wires. See post #14.
I think I may have just worked out why my tweeters still don’t sound quite right 🫣 haha didn’t even occur to me that the replacement tweeters would need the crossover ooops. Will rectify later.

Good Job Bro! I want to change the speaker since day 1. But aren’t your pioneers too powerful for the stock Amplifier? And where do you connect your subwoofer? Thanks man and again. Nice job!

Hi this is great I’m putting some rear speakers in my se and will be running all 4 speakers through an amp. Could you advise what colour the front left and right speaker cables are in the loom?

I did the same strip down in the obvious place but couldn’t see anything under/behind the screen. Must be an amp module somewhere, maybe under the bonnet or the centre console?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom