Waynestevens1979

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Hi guys, just wondered if anyone's had an issue with windscreen fluid in the cold weather? I had an experience on the M4 yesterday where my fluid froze mid journey and as the roads had been gritted i couldnt see a thing!! I understand there's little to no heat under the bonnet so this may have been a factor but surely this would have been considered. I was driving on Eco mode so would this have something to do with it? Just wondered if anyone else has experienced it? Cheers

I would have thought that there would have been a small heating element in the washer fluid and wrapped round the supply tubes that some cars have. Something for MG to consider in future I think but for us it will just have to be neat washer fluid and to hope for the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have thought that there would have been a small heating element in the washer fluid and wrapped round the supply tubes that some cars have. Something for MG to consider in future I think but for us it will just havevto be neat washer fluid and to hope for the best.
You do realise the cost involved in implementing that as apposed to buying appropriate screen wash ?

MG are budgets cars built to a price so can’t really be compared with ‘other cars’. . Just buy better screen wash fluid.
I agree - looking at mine this morning after driving to work - the whole car was still covered in frost - so very little excess heat. Just use neat screen wash in this weather (UK).

If it makes anyone feel better, my wife's ice car has its washer fluid freeze as well.
Even after a 10 mile drive the washer fluid was still frozen.

I bought some of the Prestone extreme stuff recently and won’t be going back. Worth it and I can dilute if it’s only a bit below zero but if it’s serious -9 or lower I’d top up with neat and flush some through. Will see how long the bottle lasts but I’ve got almost half a 5L bottle left and I’ve filled a 50% diluted 4pt bottle and filled the car with the same. I reckon the rest should last more diluted through summer but we will see.

Also gonna reapply the glaco coating for the windows when the weather is reliably dry for a few days again finally. Did it in haste in autumn and it didn’t bond properly (entirely user error)

My Golf's screenwash used to freeze absolutely solid and stay solid till the thaw came. It was beyond annoying. Apparently some genius had decided to locate the screenwash reservoir IN the front bumper.

I started buying the VW screenwash rated to -70°C and never looked back. I just bought another box because I reckoned that an EV was likely to have the same problem. Pricey, but worth it.

I've seen -18.5°C here, mid-afternoon. Others have reported -20°C and below at night. I've seen -13.5°C inside my garage.

Not taking any chances.
Your just showing off again with those temps….

My Golf's screenwash used to freeze absolutely solid and stay solid till the thaw came. It was beyond annoying. Apparently some genius had decided to locate the screenwash reservoir IN the front bumper.
Didnt have it freeze but a rodent of some sort probably a squirrel, chewed through the plastic container and I lost all the contents! Cost me £125 to have it replaced, because it was a bumper off job! Probably the alchohol in the mix attracted it 😂

Your just showing off again with those temps….

I've not seen lower than -5°C this year (while driving) and climate change and all that, but it could hit at any time.

I've just realised, I had external temperature to +/- 0.5°C on the Golf, but just whole numbers on the MG4. (Actually I think I had +/- 0.1°C on my Peugeot, because I remember being a bit surprised that I only ever saw the 0.5 reading on the Golf. That's progress for you.)

Go for the expensive screen washer fluid ... the MG4 has a small screen wash tank so the fluid will last a long time. ;)

It doesn't seem to go through the wash fluid very fast with that fine spray, but I'm finding mine is missing bits of the windscreen. The right-hand nozzle seems to be spraying too far to the right.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back