Would you consider the Ora Funky Cat instead of an MG4?

Perhaps, to clarify, I don't expect that anyone would be beating a path to our Ora showroom to trade in their sub-1yr old MG4 against a Funky Cat.

What I was wondering was whether any of the features which Ora has included in the Funky Cat would either have made you consider it in the first place (before you bought your MG4), or whether you'd add them to your wish list if MG made some options available for the MG4 at a later date.

My wishlist for MG is:
  • Better software update system: we need to get all the cars onto the latest software with far less hassle and pain.
  • Fixing remaining software bugs rapidly.
  • Openness and transparency around software versions, bugs, updates and plans to address/fix/not fix items.
  • General revolution in their ability to communicate better.

Anything physically different on the cars is secondary to that, in my opinion.

And IF Ora turns out to be much better in these respects, I'll certainly give them a close look next time around.

My wishlist for MG is:
  • Better software update system: we need to get all the cars onto the latest software with far less hassle and pain.
  • Fixing remaining software bugs rapidly.
  • Openness and transparency around software versions, bugs, updates and plans to address/fix/not fix items.
  • General revolution in their ability to communicate better.

Anything physically different on the cars is secondary to that, in my opinion.

And IF Ora turns out to be much better in these respects, I'll certainly give them a close look next time around.
You can add, we need a much better supply chain turn around on spare parts, to that list as well !.
Wait times on spares are currently woeful.
Which is very frustrating for both the dealer and their customers.
In the thread “Increased Car Insurance Prices” insurance companies are quoting the long lead time on EV spares to be a mitigating factor on large premium price increases.
Sales of MG cars increased by over 30% last year, but the support services have not been aligned or kept pace with this trend.
Waiting weeks or even months for a spare part that could costs less than £100 makes no economic sense to me.
Loan / hire car costs must be absolutely killing them !.

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect though that I am not being very helpful here (in terms of your question), so to speak specifically to hardware changes, my list would be:

• User profile system to store all preferences including driver assistance systems with one button to select/cycle through users.
  • Front parking sensors on higher end models, they really should be there.
  • Panoramic sunroof as low-cost option.
  • Front fog lights (really would expect these and useful for the foggy moors).
  • Lumbar adjustment on the front seats.
  • Seat/key memory function mapped to user profile system.
  • Remote all windows up/down on key.

Perhaps, to clarify, I don't expect that anyone would be beating a path to our Ora showroom to trade in their sub-1yr old MG4 against a Funky Cat.

What I was wondering was whether any of the features which Ora has included in the Funky Cat would either have made you consider it in the first place (before you bought your MG4), or whether you'd add them to your wish list if MG made some options available for the MG4 at a later date.

I was thinking about this, and remembering the 3-hour YouTube binge on the evening of 31st March when I decided to get the MG4.

First, price was a big issue for me. I really, really didn't want to pay over £30,000 and if I could pay less, so much the better. I started the evening being horrified by the prices I was looking at.

Second, style of car. I wanted a hatchback that would be similar in size and capacity to the Golf I had just decided to give up on. So poky wee cars were out. I'd have gone for another ICE car rather than have to settle for a Polo-sized EV.

I was not that fussed about features, because the Golf was almost 14 years old and I wasn't used to the things modern cars have anyway. I knew I wouldn't get one with a CD player. (The USB player would be fine if it worked. MG really need to fix this.) I would have liked a sun-roof, but it wasn't going to be a deal-breaker. I positively don't like reversing cameras (I like the SE's radar/sonar thing). I didn't want a built-in satnav.

I saw a review of the MG4, and its looks attracted me from the word go. I saw the price, and my immediate reaction was, "I can have that, for that little???" Then there was a review where it was put up head-to-head with the Cupra Born, and the Born only just edged it on nearly all the features. For £10,000 less, it was no contest - as the reviewer cheerfully admitted.

I would have been instantly put off by the Funky Cat's looks. Why do they give such a pill of a car such a snazzy name? If the price difference had been the other way round, if the Ora had been only £27,000, I'd have looked at it. But I'm really pleased it's the way it is. I love my SE SR. Just fix the bugs, please.

It's interesting that nearly all the responses in this thread have been criticising the Funky Cat's looks. Either you've just tapped into a constituency that likes the MG4's more kenspeckle appearance and is put off by boring boxes, or the Ora designers really need to up their game.

I wonder if the launch of the new First Edition+ version of the Ora Funky Cat would make prospective MG4 owners look again?

The First Edition+ has:
✅
63kWh battery with 260 miles WLTP range
✅
Panoramic opening sunroof
✅
Auto-park assist
✅
Heated & Vented & Massage memory seats
✅
Front and Rear parking sensors (with 360 cameras)
✅
Powered tailgate
✅
Privacy Glass
✅
Two-tone paint
✅
5-year UNLIMITED MILEAGE warranty on full car (Plus 7-year, 80k miles warranty on the Battery and EV components)

All for £33,795, which isn't much more than the MG4 Trophy, which doesn't have a lot of those features available even as options...
https://gwmora.co.uk/.../ora-funky-cat/first-edition-plus/

View attachment 20786
View attachment 20783View attachment 20784

What do you think? Are there any of those features which you wish were available on the MG4?

I, for one, would love a panoramic roof on the MG4. I also quite like the option of lighter/brighter/not black interiors.
If it's better and cheaper, what do you have to lose?

For me the Ora Funky Cat says style over substance - it is the same reaction I got when I went to a mini showroom, saw the overstyled exterior and interior and then said "you want HOW much??!".

I think there's definitely a constituency for that kind of aesthetic and each to their own, but it isn't me. I'd need to look past that to the bones of a compelling car / compelling value, in order to want one. And the bones are very ordinary with the Funky Cat.

It has the similar external looks of a VW Beatle, but with a couple of extra doors to me 🤣 and this design was created in WW2.
It’s new design, but it’s somehow dated at the same time ???.
When you’re driving you can’t see the body shape of course and the tech is an advantage, but you have to be able to live with its strange styling on the outside.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.
I just don’t feel it will be a volume seller TBH.

It's interesting that nearly all the responses in this thread have been criticising the Funky Cat's looks. Either you've just tapped into a constituency that likes the MG4's more kenspeckle appearance and is put off by boring boxes, or the Ora designers really need to up their game.
I think the MG4 looks more modern, more aggressive and angular.
The Funky Cat (which could end up being renamed as the Ora 03, if that helps overcome issues for anyone!) looks more rounded and cutesy.

I personally think the Ora FC has more character in its design. The "Hello Ora" voice command system, and swimming Koi across the dashboard when you get in, are a couple of stand-out easter eggs which always make me smile. (I actually renamed the voice command system as "Hey KITT", as I fancy myself as Michael Knight) ;-)

To be honest, swimming koi across the dashboard every time I got in the car would drive me nuts. I have enough trouble with the MG4's habit of switching on its radio whenever I get in, even if I switched it off on the last journey.

I'm realising that I really like the spartan minimalist layout of the MG4 SE. I don't need it to be a fish tank.

The Ora FC seems to come from the Hello Kitty school of design with an eye more on the Asian market and the MG has been designed for the European buyers.

The only additional feature that I would be interested in might be front parking sensors on the Trophy but due to the looks I wouldn't even consider the Ora even if it was a lot cheaper.

I quite liked the look of the front of the Ora when I first saw pictures of it but have never been a fan of the rear. I find that pictures of the car make it look smaller than it is. I saw quite a lot of them when I was in Thailand earlier this year and the rear end looked large and empty and, to me, unattractive. In fact the whole car looked worse to me in reality than it did in pictures.

I too would like front sensors on my Trophy and memory electric seats would be handy. However, if I was buying today, I'd much rather have my MG as it is than the Ora.

I'm currently trying in china and my sister in law has one. It's a nicer interior but it is a smaller car. I think the MG4 is a more practical car but i think if you don't have kids and want a small car it's a nice car.

I think if it was 30k or under it would be considered but not at that price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the launch of the new First Edition+ version of the Ora Funky Cat would make prospective MG4 owners look again?

The First Edition+ has:
✅
63kWh battery with 260 miles WLTP range
✅
Panoramic opening sunroof
✅
Auto-park assist
✅
Heated & Vented & Massage memory seats
✅
Front and Rear parking sensors (with 360 cameras)
✅
Powered tailgate
✅
Privacy Glass
✅
Two-tone paint
✅
5-year UNLIMITED MILEAGE warranty on full car (Plus 7-year, 80k miles warranty on the Battery and EV components)

All for £33,795, which isn't much more than the MG4 Trophy, which doesn't have a lot of those features available even as options...
https://gwmora.co.uk/.../ora-funky-cat/first-edition-plus/

View attachment 20786
View attachment 20783View attachment 20784

What do you think? Are there any of those features which you wish were available on the MG4?

I, for one, would love a panoramic roof on the MG4. I also quite like the option of lighter/brighter/not black interiors.
When I see a small EV with a 0-60 time above 6 seconds I ignore it. Not because I’m a boy racer (whatever exactly that is) but because acceleration on the cheap is something EVs make easy. If I can’t have that from one EV I’ll get get it from another.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back