Would you have purchased electric car

The biggest problem with any forum is you mostly get the extreme views.
Few people will report satisfaction with their car because that is what they expect (and rightly so).
Some people will post that they are happy with their cars and lots of people have (myself included).
Unfortunately more people are inclined to post problems with their cars, some of which are real issues requiring repairs from dealers.
Lots of threads on the forum are from people requiring advice or reassurance regarding their own vehicle, charging points etc. but are not actual faults or complaints about the car.
I think it is sad that Glyn has returned his car after reading about problems on this forum - as I still believe the ZS is a great car and the forum has lots of positive posts to back this up.

Yes definitely, I did a lot of reading up on BEV's before I got my MG ZS EV, It suits my needs down to the ground & the only thing I was pee'd about the car was not having the remote access app here in UK/Europe due to data laws (y)

I think the ZS EV is a good car for the cash price, Kona is alot more expensive... But I think the main problem is the aftersales dealership satisfaction... Hyundai score very highly and MG so far are dropping fast in satisfaction in dealing with issues... obviously some MG dealers are worse than others ...

I think the ZS EV is a good car for the cash price, Kona is alot more expensive... But I think the main problem is the aftersales dealership satisfaction... Hyundai score very highly and MG so far are dropping fast in satisfaction in dealing with issues... obviously some MG dealers are worse than others ...
Putting a more positive spin on it. Many dealers are BETTER than others😉

In answer to your first paragraph the answer is definitely no. For me and expect many others an ICE car would have done for the expected time left to continue driving due to age and the date for discontinued production of ICE cars which they will be available more than 10 years after that.

But I'm in now so ................... make do!
I'm still trying to keep as positive about ev as i can, hopefully it will grow on me as opposed to being positive on 1st, real-world experience impression. Looking forward to summer driving though, when range will increase and panoramic roof csn open

Perhaps it is the old saying....you pay peanuts , you get monkeys
I have had the MG ZS EV now for a year and can honestly say that it is one of the better finished cars I have owned. (Mercs, Audis, VWs, Fords, Fiat, Triumph Vauxhalls, Austin, Morris and others. Sure, it has been built to a budget without certain niceties such as climate control, non-dipping rear mirror, non-programmable electric seat, auto boot closing. These are very much first world requirements. You get a lot of car with many "toys" for your "peanuts." I'd rather have this car which you described as a monkey than many of the other "dogs" I have driven in the past.

Wasnt doing that. I love my MG5 and think it is well built. I was describing the dealerships and they way they are run and managed.

Actually it appears the worst things are from the MG British management especially on the roof rail fiasco. That itself may make the brand toxic

Had my new zs 3 weeks and returned it for a full refund earlier this week having read all the problems associated with it on this forum. Pick up a new kona tomorrow on a 3 year lease 10k a year £301@ month.
Make sure you carry a fire extinguisher.
Kona on fire.jpg

View attachment 1392
I raised this very same issue on one of my earlier posts, would rather some slight technical issues that what KIA have achieved....I wonder do they keep records on how many have actually caught fire, there are the Hotpoint of the motor industry.

View attachment 1392
Hyundai has recalled globally more than 74,000 Kona EVs, its top-selling electric car, after 16 of them caught fire in South Korea, Canada and Europe in two years
Even more worrying they don’t know why....
The company which supplies Hyundai with batteries for the Kona Electric - LG Chem - said the source of the fire has not yet been determined, according to Automotive News Europe, with a re-enactment experiment having indicated the batteries were not the cause.

Hyundai has recalled globally more than 74,000 Kona EVs, its top-selling electric car, after 16 of them caught fire in South Korea, Canada and Europe in two years
Even more worrying they don’t know why....
The company which supplies Hyundai with batteries for the Kona Electric - LG Chem - said the source of the fire has not yet been determined, according to Automotive News Europe, with a re-enactment experiment having indicated the batteries were not the cause.
It's worth pointing out this seems to be an issue with LG Chem batteries, that Hyundai use in the Kona. As far as I'm aware KIA still use SK Innovation to provide batteries for the Soul and the e-Niro and I've not seen any reported stories of battery issues with those cars. In fact it looks like Hyundai are moving away from LG Chem to SK I (or the MGs CATL) themselves after getting "burned" - SK likely to secure status as key Hyundai E-GMP supplier

It's worth pointing out this seems to be an issue with LG Chem batteries, that Hyundai use in the Kona. As far as I'm aware KIA still use SK Innovation to provide batteries for the Soul and the e-Niro and I've not seen any reported stories of battery issues with those cars. In fact it looks like Hyundai are moving away from LG Chem to SK I (or the MGs CATL) themselves after getting "burned" - SK likely to secure status as key Hyundai E-GMP supplier

I am a new electric car driver, having had an Mg Zs Ev for a month now. I don't want this post to come across as a negative, but knowing what you know now about the Mg Zs Ev and electric cars in general, would you have still purchased it?
My opinion is, knowing things like not getting full range in winter, having to install fast charger because granny charger is so slow, the lack of regularly working charging points, ect, in hindsight i probably would have gone hybrid, instead of going headfirst from combustion engine to electric.
Doing your research thoroughly before is crucial (which i wish i did more of) to enjoying electric more at 1st impression.
On the flip side, im hopefull that come the summer when range will increase, and i can get to open the panoramic roof, i will enjoy the electric experience a lot more.

Dear Cwe...you can go back into your posts and edit or delete them if you want.

I've found it very useful being a non-tec, semi-dyslexic person.

And I love my MG and don't regret buying it at all....had it for over a year and done 7K miles.

Loving the MG ZS EV since delivery in November. The cost to run it is ridiculously cheap. And I find it comfortable and a joy to drive. Haven't had any niggles or anything go wrong with it. I have a home charger and charge every night as a routine so have no issues with range. For the price this is one cool cat. As my first EV I chose to hire it for 4 years at a decent price too. After the 4 years, I shall definitely be picking up another EV.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom