Would you recommend?

TonyDuhTiger

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
So I'm currently driving a Honda Civic and I've just started a new job as a community nurse and it's just too costly to run now.

I can see the MG4 Long Range Trophy is very affordable via lease and I'm tempted to get one.

However, I have seen so many negative post on the forum and it's making me unsure.

I would be getting it on lease for 4 years, so servicing, MOT, parts, insurance all included for £260 a month.

So I'm currently driving a Honda Civic and I've just started a new job as a community nurse and it's just too costly to run now.

I can see the MG4 Long Range Trophy is very affordable via lease and I'm tempted to get one.

However, I have seen so many negative post on the forum and it's making me unsure.

I would be getting it on lease for 4 years, so servicing, MOT, parts, insurance all included for £260 a month.
I would go for it, that's a good deal, I think you would struggle to find a better value deal out there

Aside from the choice of car, you need to consider the cost of charging. If you can charge at home, you should beat petrol costs. If you have to charge at fast chargers in the day you may exceed petrol costs. Bear in mind that the cost of installing a dedicated home charger will be around £1000. Just using a 13A plug may not give you sufficient overnight charge if you are travelling long distances.

Take a look at this thread. It covers all MG EVs, but there are a lot of MG4s in there.

People tend to come to a forum like this with their problems and their moans. Happy owners just saying that everything is peachy are less motivated. But when you take a poll, and there have been several, most people love their cars. The early cars that arrived in 2022 had problems, which have generally been rectified, and the ones coming in now seem pretty much free of these major issues.

I love mine. Yes I have gripes, almost all related to fairly minor software issues, which are nuts and when you first discover them you tend to foam at the mouth a bit. But crucially there are work-rounds for nearly all of them, and they don't impact on the great experience of driving the car.

Also bear in mind that you will find people bitching about minor (and not so minor) issues in practically any car forum. People moan about Teslas and VWs and the rest. It's not confined to the MG4.

It sounds like you have a great deal there. Go for it. Just come back here when you find a software issue that has you grinding your teeth, and discover how to turn it into a bit of a nothing-burger.

Last edited:
Aside from the choice of car, you need to consider the cost of charging. If you can charge at home, you should beat petrol costs. If you have to charge at fast chargers in the day you may exceed petrol costs. Bear in mind that the cost of installing a dedicated home charger will be around £1000. Just using a 13A plug may not give you sufficient overnight charge if you are travelling long distances.

This is true. Also whether your home electrical circuits are sufficiently safe to run a granny charger hour after hour. But my electrician (here for a different job) looked at my granny charging setup yesterday and gave it a complete thumbs-up. Consider how long you are in the house for, in the average week. Your car can be on the granny charger all that time. How many miles will that give you? If it's comfortably more than your usual weekly mileage, at least give it a shot. You can always do the occasional top-up on a rapid charger if you need to reset your baseline now and again.

Also consider that you can make charging your car a lot cheaper with a wall box and a variable electricity tariff, charging in the cheap time during the night. However, this will increase the cost of your daytime usage. If your mileage is low, consider if it's worth it, given the capital cost of the wall box and the relative ease of keeping up with low mileage using the granny charger.

My opinion, having owned one for just over one month, is that the car is well built for the most part, just a few teething issues which this forum has covered nicely. But nothing that should really put you off leasing the car.
My main gripe has been the customer service I have experienced at my local dealer, however this is my local dealer, others have more positive experiences. But if you have a full maintenance lease plan, you should be good.
The car is a pleasure to drive, without question.

The NHS deal is amazing. I have just taken delivery of my Trophy (on a 2 year salary sacrifice scheme) and am paying much more than you - albeit only for 2 years.
The car itself is amazing, not perfect but the few niggles there are will get sorted over time I hope.

£260 per month for all of that, as mentioned before, is a remarkable deal! I say go for it. There are an awful lot of owners now who have nothing but very minor issues with the car…

The NHS deal is amazing. I have just taken delivery of my Trophy (on a 2 year salary sacrifice scheme) and am paying much more than you - albeit only for 2 years.
The car itself is amazing, not perfect but the few niggles there are will get sorted over time I hope.
I couldn't afford the two years unfortunately and my business miles have knocked the price down a bit. Going to see one in a garage tomorrow so can't wait.

Thanks very much everyone, you've convinced me haha, going to see one tomorrow at the garage.

Second hand cars seem to be holding their value really well, so I'm going to sell my honda and get an EV charger installed at my house. I also noticed you can charge cheaper during the night, so I will definitely be doing that.

I'm using some of the money I get from selling my car to install an EV charger. Then paying off my debt with the rest haha.

I was going to charge in the evening as it's cheaper when you do an ev tarrif I believe.

I do approxinately 60-70 miles a day, so I know I will need to charge a bit.

It's an absolute peach to drive, you'll love it.

ETA: if you do 60-70 miles a day you need a wall box charger for sure. OK, when I say for sure, you could do it on paper if you plugged in evening and night every day, but it's not worth it, you'd be sailing too near the wind. But then once you have one you can look at reducing your outlay further by getting a variable tariff.

Happy days!

It's an absolute peach to drive, you'll love it.

ETA: if you do 60-70 miles a day you need a wall box charger for sure. But then you can look at reducing your outlay further by getting a variable tariff.

Happy days!
If I don't drive weekends, I would probably only need to charge it twice a week properly?

How much is it costing to charge it from home?

Thanks very much everyone, you've convinced me haha, going to see one tomorrow at the garage.

Second hand cars seem to be holding their value really well, so I'm going to sell my honda and get an EV charger installed at my house. I also noticed you can charge cheaper during the night, so I will definitely be doing that.
I got the Ohme Pro, so I could use octopus intelligent at 7.5p per KWH overnight… oh and I’m with Rolfe… the car is all peachy. No complaints

I ordered mine after being really impressed with the test drive, then almost cancelled after reading so much negativity on parts of this forum.

But really glad I didnt because I have had the car for 3 months now, done a lot of mixed driving (town, motorway, country roads) and its without doubt the best car I've ever owned.

I invested in a hypervolt home wall charger, it will definitely pay for itself over time given the current price of public chargers. Now I spend about £30 a month on electric for the car instead of £150 on diesel.

If I don't drive weekends, I would probably only need to charge it twice a week properly?

How much is it costing to charge it from home?
I have a Zappi charger and an MG4 LR Trophy on Octopus Go which gives me 9.5p/kWh at night which means the 61kWh useable battery costs me £5.80 to fill up from empty for roughly 225 miles (without me driving economically) or 2.5p per mile "fuel" cost.

However, day time electricity is higher price on this deal so we have had to time shift our dishwasher and washing machine to overnight to balance that back out.

I have a Zappi charger and an MG4 LR Trophy on Octopus Go which gives me 9.5p/kWh at night which means the 61kWh useable battery costs me £5.80 to fill up from empty for roughly 225 miles (without me driving economically) or 2.5p per mile "fuel" cost.

However, day time electricity is higher price on this deal so we have had to time shift our dishwasher and washing machine to overnight to balance that back out.
Does it significantly increase tarrifs during the day?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 522 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back